Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using Electric Meter to verify age of property

• 05-12-2011 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭

Anybody know the method for this.

Using my new key, I have opened up last few meter boxes for BER Surveys but cannot see any date stamp or anything to indicate age. Any clues ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭brdboard

picorette wrote: »
    Anybody know the method for this.

Using my new key, I have opened up last few meter boxes for BER Surveys but cannot see any date stamp or anything to indicate age. Any clues ?

It's usually on a tag hanging from the meter which i think is also supposed to be signed by the installer. I have found that sometimes a date is on the tag, and sometimes not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

brdboard wrote: »
    It's usually on a tag hanging from the meter which i think is also supposed to be signed by the installer. I have found that sometimes a date is on the tag, and sometimes not.

Won't be there for old installations. Should be a year of manufactor on the meter instead but not accurate for year of build could be a few years in the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

what happens if the meter was changed?????not uncommon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You will have to get it some other way through records. Using the meter is never going to be accurate as the house could be built for a long time before power is connected, it just gives an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭picorette

If meter was changed, will not be an accurate indicator. Best to compare meter age with other indicators of age such as style, planning decisions, homeowner knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

There is often a year on the face of the meter but use common sense. You should have an idea of how old the property is by looking at it. If this date match's your expectations then i think it is reasonable to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

Usually date of manufacture is stamped or written on the plate behind the glass. There will be other numbers too, and Siemens only give the last 2 digits of the year, so if it's xx xxx xxx 79 then you know the house dates from at least 1979 or 1980.

Advertisement