Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video help

Options
  • 05-12-2011 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hello everyone!

I apologise if this is in the wrong forum, but this is the closest forum I could find to what I am posting about, ok, I am starting a website regarding interviewing bands and what not and I was wondering if anyone out there was trying to build a portfolio of work that could help me, I will be having interviews every friday and it should take about an hour or two hours, it will be a fully functional website with hopefully many hits and was wondering if anyone wanted to get involved? send me a Pm or reply here! Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Commercial for profit website or not for profit website?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭bobbaggio

well it would start out as a not for profit website but see where it goes really, I have a couple of bands lined up already. I would have them play a song at the end aswell, acoustic. If anyone was interested, we could have a chat about how we could do it.

I am based in Kildare but I can go to dublin or the surrounding areas, I have transport ya know, there is a website in America that has different new bands playing sessions every week. And it is an excellent way to find new music. This would be a great medium for bands to show possible empoyers (ie booking agents, bars booking people) what they are about and a brief insight into their music. It is very difficult for bands to get gigs and get any kind of publicity, sitting down tonight to deisgn more of the page.

If anyone is interested please let me know, I think it is a good idea and a great way to build a portfolio and get good experience of working on site. I'm fairly easy to work with too! It'd be great experience I think.

Have you venue, sound engineer, floor manager, director, producer, lighting person, edit facitlites, legal person etc...?

Obviously you need camera person(s).

Curious about this after reading your last post and interested to know more.

Like the idea in principle.

Have you a story board of a typical edition for your website?

Be aware of one thing though... You're looking to provide a platform for bands to promote themselves in getting work. I'd see this as a firmly "for profit" website as even with the best of intentions of seeing where it goes, the bands featured stand to gain from it. Advertising and marketing cost money which is essentially what the bands will be gaining ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Tactical wrote: »
    Have you venue, sound engineer, floor manager, director, producer, lighting person, edit facitlites, legal person etc...?

I think you know exactly the answer to this already. This is clearly a low budget gig, he could easily do the production without a director, producer, lighting person, legal person, etc.

• Advertisement

No, I don't have any of these, I'm coming on here looking for a lad to record a video for me! And I can do it without those guys, I mean I dont need a legal guy,floor manager, producer, director..... "facilities" ... I have, meaning my home, I don't think I will be needing a studio or anything, I have a sound guy who will do this for me free of charge, I am gonna be doing the interviews,

I have a storyboard for the interviews and a layour of how I think we should do the interview, and ask questions that people wanna know the answers too that you don't hear asked very often!

I have a band for the first interview and I have a venue, so I was thinking if a camera person could help me out and meet up, we could set up how it is gonna work!

In terms of profit, I mean, I love music and I just wanna do this to see if I am capable of starting a website that people wanna watch, if further down the line an opportunity comes to expand it, then yeah but I don't wanna start putting money into something that people don't care about!

m83 wrote: »
    I think you know exactly the answer to this already. This is clearly a low budget gig, he could easily do the production without a director, producer, lighting person, legal person, etc.

No actually, I don't already know the answer. Hence my question.

I'm trying to ascertain how much work is expected from the videographer.

Such as supplying and setting up lighting, storyboarding, model releases, copyright clarification etc... Not unreasonable questions really...

bobbaggio wrote: »
    No, I don't have any of these, I'm coming on here looking for a lad to record a video for me! And I can do it without those guys, I mean I dont need a legal guy,floor manager, producer, director..... "facilities" ... I have, meaning my home, I don't think I will be needing a studio or anything, I have a sound guy who will do this for me free of charge, I am gonna be doing the interviews,

I have a storyboard for the interviews and a layour of how I think we should do the interview, and ask questions that people wanna know the answers too that you don't hear asked very often!

I have a band for the first interview and I have a venue, so I was thinking if a camera person could help me out and meet up, we could set up how it is gonna work!

In terms of profit, I mean, I love music and I just wanna do this to see if I am capable of starting a website that people wanna watch, if further down the line an opportunity comes to expand it, then yeah but I don't wanna start putting money into something that people don't care about!

Copyright. Retained by the videographer or released to you or a third party?

Lighting. Supplied and set up by you or expected from the videographer?

Post production. Taken care of by you or is the videographer required to edit?

Model releases. Are you taking care of these?

Are videographer expenses covered?

Hey, haven't been getting email updates on this. To answer your questions....

Copyright, don't really know about this? There won't be too much content that you would need copyrighted? The band I'll be interviewing will be playing one of their songs at the end so presuming they have that copyrighted.

Lighting, I have lights but I really am not sure as to how many we will need? It will not be a huge setup, just me (the interviewer) and the band/ couple of members of the band. So I'm not really sure how much lighting we will need?

I can edit the post production. No problem

No, Videographers expenses won't be paid but it will be for an hour or so every second friday?1 not sure how many expenses there will be, I mean i dont mind buying lunch or whatever, but just looking for a hand at the moment. I don't have the proper equipment, I could do it myself if i had the equipment but i dont. Sorry for the late reply, anyone interested?

Hey, haven't been getting email updates on this. To answer your questions....

Copyright, don't really know about this? There won't be too much content that you would need copyrighted? The band I'll be interviewing will be playing one of their songs at the end so presuming they have that copyrighted.?

The videographer retains copyright of the images shot. The band retain copyright to their track. A release from the videographer and from the band would be advisable.
    Lighting, I have lights but I really am not sure as to how many we will need? It will not be a huge setup, just me (the interviewer) and the band/ couple of members of the band. So I'm not really sure how much lighting we will need?

Typically key lighting, fill in lighting and background lighting are most probably required. You may get away without fill lights if you have reflector(s).

Nature and exact set up will depend on the atmosphere you are looking to create, but remember you'll need the lighting good enough for the videographer to obtain the correct exposure.

Remember that even the best sensors contribute some noise to a scene and the darker the scene the more gain required hence more potential for visible noise. Good lighting to obtain a decent exposure is what you want.

I can edit the post production. No problem

That will probably be appealing to a videographer. :)
    No, Videographers expenses won't be paid but it will be for an hour or so every second friday?1 not sure how many expenses there will be, I mean i dont mind buying lunch or whatever, but just looking for a hand at the moment. I don't have the proper equipment, I could do it myself if i had the equipment but i dont. Sorry for the late reply, anyone interested?

It would be common courtesy to pay expenses when the videographer is not getting paid for the shoot. By this I mean a contribution towards travel costs, definately parking costs if incurred and a cup or two of tea or coffee and maybe a sandwhich.

An hour is a rather shot period of time and would require you to have a finalised storyboard or shot list for the videographer and definately a run through of the entire storyboard before the videographer arrives. All lighting set up and ready to go.

What size is the shooting area?

Where are you located?

• Advertisement
Advertisement