Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reloading Offer

Options
  • 05-12-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

This may or may not be of interest to people-possibly not due to how far North I live. But I thought I would throw the offer out there...

Basically I have a full reloading set up for .270 and .223, I will soon be adding .204 to this as well.
    Most of the time everything is just sitting there doing nothing as I load in batches.

If there is anyone on boards who would like to use my equipment they are more than welcome to go use away at it. I can give you a bit of a lesson in reloading or lend you some DVDs. It’s pretty simple and very gratifying.

If someone does want to take up the offer I would suggest you order heads from cliffsgunsmithing.com to my address and let me know what powder you would like.

I am from the Glens of Antrim so as I say it might be a bit out of your way and by the time you take in diesel the savings would be little-none. But I find that even a crude load will easily trump factory ammunition accuracy and you have the advantage of loading a round that is possibly unavailable here. Such as my 140gr Berger VLD .270 round.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thats a very generous offer Glensman, and fair play to you for offering.

I would say one thing though for anyone that may beninterested in this. Even reloaded ammo is ammo so while a person could travel north, load legally with you, they still need the necessary import documentation, and PSNI permits to carry the ammo through the North, and bring it across the border.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Ezridax wrote: »
    Thats a very generous offer Glensman, and fair play to you for offering.

I would say one thing though for anyone that may beninterested in this. Even reloaded ammo is ammo so while a person could travel north, load legally with you, they still need the necessary import documentation, and PSNI permits to carry the ammo through the North, and bring it across the border.

Thats the answer i was looking for:D
    i wouldnt mind doing a bit of reloading in the North,but how complicated would it be to bring it back to the south?
    What paperwork do you require??
    I was looking to get some 140gr A max and 140gr bergers reloaded for my 6.5x55;)
    And also some 155gr bergers for my 308;)
    What reloading equipment do you use,Glensman??I am sure i can get some dies for 6.5x55 and 308 if nessasary;)
    And thanks for the kind offer,Glensman.

You need a personal import license from the DoJ. It can be found, and downloaded online. They usually take between 7-10 days to het it back to you. Very quick and efficient.

You also need a visitor's permit from the PSNI, as a Southern firearms license does not cover you for carrying ammo or firearms in the North. Apply for this directly to the PSNI, at least 4 weeks before you intend to travel.

Its actually straight forward enough, and eaasy to do. The longest part is waiting for the permit, and import license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Thats the answer i was looking for:D
    i wouldnt mind doing a bit of reloading in the North,but how complicated would it be to bring it back to the south?
    What paperwork do you require??
    I was looking to get some 140gr A max and 140gr bergers reloaded for my 6.5x55;)
    And also some 155gr bergers for my 308;)
    What reloading equipment do you use,Glensman??I am sure i can get some dies for 6.5x55 and 308 if nessasary;)
    And thanks for the kind offer,Glensman.

I have all RCBS stuff plus a few accessories. I think my kit is the Supreme Master something or other. Plus I have Lyman case preparation tools and a hornady guage for measuring headspace and maybe a couple of other things. I also have Redding competition dies in .270 (these are great)
    As I say I am currently only set up for .270 and .223.

If you were using either of these calibres I am legal to carry these north AND south so I could take them over the border for you and you could write them into your licence?

Dies regularly come up second ahnd at the right money, or if you can get them from the states even better.
    I would stay away from the cheaper dies such as Lee.

If I were getting into reloading again I would buy Redding comp dies from the start. They give great concentricity, are a pleasure to change headspace with and hardly work the brass at all...

Glensman wrote: »
    I have all RCBS stuff plus a few accessories. I think my kit is the Supreme Master something or other. Plus I have Lyman case preparation tools and a hornady guage for measuring headspace and maybe a couple of other things. I also have Redding competition dies in .270 (these are great)
    As I say I am currently only set up for .270 and .223.

If you were using either of these calibres I am legal to carry these north AND south so I could take them over the border for you and you could write them into your licence?

Dies regularly come up second ahnd at the right money, or if you can get them from the states even better.
    I would stay away from the cheaper dies such as Lee.

If I were getting into reloading again I would buy Redding comp dies from the start. They give great concentricity, are a pleasure to change headspace with and hardly work the brass at all...

Ok thanks Glensman,so if i where to get some dies in my calibers,would it still be possible to reload in the North?
    Or can you only reload in the calibers you have a license for?

• Advertisement

Ok thanks Glensman,so if i where to get some dies in my calibers,would it still be possible to reload in the North?
    Or can you only reload in the calibers you have a license for?

No I can reload in any calibre. Reloading is not regulated that way.
    They restrict the powder and primers. But brass and heads are un-restricted leaving you open to reload for others if you wish...

I know a good few people who load for friends.
    My own press is split between myself and a friend- and once my brother gets his .204 he will be using the same press etc. as well.

All you need to use my press for another calibre is the appropriate shell holder and Dies. If you are using once-fires brass then you should use a Neck die and seating die NOT a FL die.

No I can reload in any calibre. Reloading is not regulated that way.
    They restrict the powder and primers. But brass and heads are un-restricted leaving you open to reload for others if you wish...

I know a good few people who load for friends.
    My own press is split between myself and a friend- and once my brother gets his .204 he will be using the same press etc. as well.

All you need to use my press for another calibre is the appropriate shell holder and Dies. If you are using once-fires brass then you should use a Neck die and seating die NOT a FL die.

Sounds good Glens,Thanks alot:D
    We can probably have a chat next time you are down in the south;)
    You still have my number?
    If not i can PM you it again.

Sounds good Glens,Thanks alot:D
    We can probably have a chat next time you are down in the south;)
    You still have my number?
    If not i can PM you it again.

Hi, I still have the number. Maybe we can meet up over christmas? I wouldn't mind stretching the legs of the .223 at the range... It's impossible to get a decent day here!

The offer stands for everyone else as well...

Hi, I still have the number. Maybe we can meet up over christmas? I wouldn't mind stretching the legs of the .223 at the range... It's impossible to get a decent day here!

The offer stands for everyone else as well...

No problem at all,bud:D
    Ring me after christmas and we can meet up at the range again.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Thats a fantastic offer Glensman tis a shame im so far away though....... maybe some one could make a weekend out of it and do some shopping too :P

• Advertisement

Thats a fantastic offer Glensman tis a shame im so far away though....... maybe some one could make a weekend out of it and do some shopping too :P

If that's what you're in to then Ballymena is half an hour away. :)
    Probably the best shopping town in Ireland. The causeway is about 30miles away...

And some duracoat as well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

And some duracoat as well:D

Ive never get the oven/shotblasting cabinet/degreasing tanks and compressors in the van and still have room to bring down some shopping or cheap booze hahaha

GH

........... then Ballymena ....

:D Nova City. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Shane.sf

Fair play to you Glensman. Not many people would invite strangers into their home like that.

Thanks for the offer but I must respectfully decline as I'm very busy with work and other stuff at the moment. Good luck and all the best.

Again thankyou on behalf of all boards.ie members.

Shane

Advertisement