Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkee Reefs

Options
  • 05-12-2011 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

I was down in Kilkee (county Clare) last summer and towards the outer bay there is a big enough swell that picks up on the rocks/reef, just wondering has anyone tried surfing it before, or is it even possible to surf out there.
    Im unaware of anyone ever surfing there but would be interesting to here if anyone has or why people haven't surfed there.

maja-photo4.jpg

In the picture above I've seen some really nice looking sets roll onto the reef just beyond the main area of rocks towards the center of the shot, where you can see that calm patch of water, I've also seen some pretty nice looking waves roll up onto the reef just out past the main group of rocks at the far left of the picture.

Now there has been a lot of messy days out at those breaks, but there are times when those waves look amazing nice and clean. So if anyone has any stories about those reefs or know why people dont surf them I would love to here about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

2e5c93fc5fcb277c88837e18ff8cc04580a1e2b743e0cc86394f9b8dce1f2d1d.jpg

This is when the tide is in on the rock pools but sometimes looks like it produces a good swell.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Gunnerkid

More than likely to shallow over the rocks :cool:, but I myself have often wondered has anyone ever attempted to surf them.

Wonder if John McCarthy and his mates have ever tried to

Gunnerkid wrote: »
    More than likely to shallow over the rocks :cool:, but I myself have often wondered has anyone ever attempted to surf them.

Wonder if John McCarthy and his mates have ever tried to

ya man I would love to know if someone has attempted it, dont get me wrong it looks f**kin dangerous out there and Id say the currents are probably nasty out there as well. Im only a beginner myself but just out of curiosity more than anything I wanted to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

Bad form to be posting pics / locations on the web about spots like this, could be someones "secret" spot.
    Also if it's that dodgy looking why risk drawing kooks to it, that's how people get into trouble.

When you go searching for spots you will find places like this, if you can't decide for yourself, and you see no one else out leave it, by all means come back when you think it might work for a look, but don't put it up on the web for everyone to see.

will3k wrote: »
    Bad form to be posting pics / locations on the web about spots like this, could be someones "secret" spot.
    Also if it's that dodgy looking why risk drawing kooks to it, that's how people get into trouble.

When you go searching for spots you will find places like this, if you can't decide for yourself, and you see no one else out leave it, by all means come back when you think it might work for a look, but don't put it up on the web for everyone to see.

man the beach just by it is one of the most popular beaches in the country and the swimming rock pools that I mentioned thousands of people swim in those every summer, the place is no secret to anyone in Clare/Limerick.

I never mentioned I wanted to surf it either I was just interested if anyone has ever attempted it before. The area is so busy in the summer and so visible that it is not hidden or secret bud.
    And the pictures I got are from the internet, I didn't take them, there are hundreds of pictures of the place online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Thats why we have guides with breaks listed, how is op ment to find out about a place when he can't post questions about it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The area in the photos is known locally as the Pollock Holes. They are very popular with locals/holidaymakers/fishermen etc. If it is anyone's local spot, I very much doubt that it could be kept secret.

There might conceivably be a wave there at high tide, who knows, but I doubt very much that it'd be worth the hassle or danger. There would be rock just under the surface for the whole area. I reckon if there was anything surfable at Kilkee it would have been well-known about years ago.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My housemate is from there and has never heard of anyone surfing around those spots.

Its such a busy tourist spot and Ive never seen anyone attempt the few reefs around there, I reckon its just down to how dangerous it is. Would be interesting to see someone have a go at it though.
    Could also be down to the fact that maybe anybody who is good enough has never seriously taught about going out there.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Its such a busy tourist spot and Ive never seen anyone attempt the few reefs around there, I reckon its just down to how dangerous it is. Would be interesting to see someone have a go at it though.
    Could also be down to the fact that maybe anybody who is good enough has never seriously taught about going out there.

Considering the county they're in, I reckon if they're any good someone would have given them a shot by now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

It is not really the danger of the place, but the lack of quality of the waves. Have been there many times in varying swells and have never seen anything work surfing. There may be nice looking waves for an instant, but nothing you could surf on. There are too many proper spots in the region to be worth heading in at the pollock holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Looks shi*, not sure why anyone would want to surf there.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Gunnerkid

OP I think other people here are right, there is probably never really a decent wave there to make it worth going in

take a look at this shot I think its off the rock pools heavy looking wave.

dfe0f0dc33b0bbdd5b9c897ad42bdcf9.wix_mp_256

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Those spots are no secret. Right in front of the road, beach, footpaths etc. Those spots would be too shallow to try...

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

I've lived there for years and no there is nothing surfable at the pollock holes or in the middle of the bay (middle and outer Rock), but Kilkee Beach can actually be alright, maybe it's just the novelty of surfing it cause it so rarely ever happens. It has to be a major W-NW swell 7-8m + and a very high tide and it can be good craic especially over by the handball courts (South side). The bay shape doesn't really allow for nice formation of waves, but like I said, it can still be good fun. There are other spots further South than Kilkee but I'm afraid you'll just have to venture out the Dunlicky rd for yourself and explore!!:) Enjoy!!

loctite wrote: »
    I've lived there for years and no there is nothing surfable at the pollock holes or in the middle of the bay (middle and outer Rock), but Kilkee Beach can actually be alright, maybe it's just the novelty of surfing it cause it so rarely ever happens. It has to be a major W-NW swell 7-8m + and a very high tide and it can be good craic especially over by the handball courts (South side). The bay shape doesn't really allow for nice formation of waves, but like I said, it can still be good fun. There are other spots further South than Kilkee but I'm afraid you'll just have to venture out the Dunlicky rd for yourself and explore!!:) Enjoy!!

whats the story with those reefs, are they to shallow??

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Radiosurfer

I work in Kilkee and I'm often surprised at the surfable waves that roll in the middle of the beach during a big swell. They are tiny, but as I haven't always got the time to drive up to Doonbeg or Spanish Point on my lunchbreak, they can be better than nothing for a mess about. I also like to use kilkee beach for paddle practice, building up fitness if I've been out of the water for a while before heading for any actual waves.
    Also should mention how epic the view from the car park at the Pollock Holes was on Tuesday. I thought the car was gonna get flipped over by the wind but out at the breaks that the op was referring to was the most chaotic, massive wall of violence I've ever seen. You could see flat reef out for about 100 yards and then just a wall of about 20 foot of chaos. Sorry i didn't take any pics to share.

I work in Kilkee and I'm often surprised at the surfable waves that roll in the middle of the beach during a big swell. They are tiny, but as I haven't always got the time to drive up to Doonbeg or Spanish Point on my lunchbreak, they can be better than nothing for a mess about. I also like to use kilkee beach for paddle practice, building up fitness if I've been out of the water for a while before heading for any actual waves.
    Also should mention how epic the view from the car park at the Pollock Holes was on Tuesday. I thought the car was gonna get flipped over by the wind but out at the breaks that the op was referring to was the most chaotic, massive wall of violence I've ever seen. You could see flat reef out for about 100 yards and then just a wall of about 20 foot of chaos. Sorry i didn't take any pics to share.

since your working down in the area you probably have had a good look at those breaks, are they just to shallow to surf even when you get the odd time with a good looking swell coming onto them??

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Radiosurfer

Yeah, as soon as the wave rolls in you have exposed reef. It would be impossible to get onto the wave and off again without getting smashed I reckon. Let me qualify that by saying I wouldn't be good enough to surf those kinds of breaks so maybe someone who had surfed Rileys or an equivalent might be able to give you an opinion.
    Having never seen anybody surfing the reef breaks at Kilkee beach I presume it's because it's not possible. I've been out watching those breaks (because they look so impressive) at all times of day and all times of year and never seen anyone out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Actually I lied, I do know someone who surfed a wave at George's Head, well actually about 30m SE of Georges Head. An Austalian guy who lived in the town for a while.

If you are looking for depths of reefs around the area try looking up some admiralty charts for the area but pretty much every one of those reefs around Kilkee itself will have exposed rock on pretty much every tide. Average depths around the mouth of the bay are around 35m which rises almost vertically to the surface. (Around the back of the Pollock holes averages around 18-25 metres rising up vertically). Even on high tides, it can suckdry on these reefs even in the middle of the bay.

oh and before you think about trying that, he caught one and hoped back into the boat because it was way too hairy. One wave he couldn't see the bottom, the next wave that came sucked the reef dry. That reef on an average high would have a depth of around 3-5 metres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 bobo26b

loctite wrote: »
    Actually I lied, I do know someone who surfed a wave at George's Head, well actually about 30m SE of Georges Head. An Austalian guy who lived in the town for a while.

If you are looking for depths of reefs around the area try looking up some admiralty charts for the area but pretty much every one of those reefs around Kilkee itself will have exposed rock on pretty much every tide. Average depths around the mouth of the bay are around 35m which rises almost vertically to the surface. (Around the back of the Pollock holes averages around 18-25 metres rising up vertically). Even on high tides, it can suckdry on these reefs even in the middle of the bay.

oh and before you think about trying that, he caught one and hoped back into the boat because it was way too hairy. One wave he couldn't see the bottom, the next wave that came sucked the reef dry. That reef on an average high would have a depth of around 3-5 metres.

scary stuff, would hate to be on that when the reef sucks dry

Advertisement