Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage conversion to office

• 05-12-2011 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I'm thinking of converting the garage next to the house to an office as I work from home quite a bit nowadays. It's a concrete structure, flat roof felted, 5m length x 2.5m width in size has a side door and a front double door entrance that's been rotting so needs replacement. My plan was to replace the front doors with a roller door, build a false wall behind this and put in french doors at the opposite end as the back end is south facing and seal up the existing side door. Obviously I'd have to get it plumbed, electrics etc and also dry lined for insulation.

My question is does anyone else have experience of doing this? I'm afraid by the time i dryline it it the room may be very narrow especially if there is a desk and book shelves in there. Any help really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I presume the measurements are internal?

The 5m long should be plenty for most office duties and equipment, the width will shrink about 150mm depending on the level of insulation you use, that leaves you with about 110 sq feet of workspace which is not bad for one or even two people.

I presume all services will be in the house (toilet, kitchen etc) and with south facing doors it could be a very pleasent place to work.

You need to pay attention to the type of floor you have, possible insulation of the concrete roof to prevent condensation from heat meeting the cold concrete surface, ventilation is a must for a healthy work place.

All should be possible at a reasonable cost when compared to renting long term, can also be changed to living / study area in the future.

Advertisement