Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lead in the ink of tattoos

Options
  • 05-12-2011 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi ya,

I havent got any tattoos but I would consider getting one in the future. Watcing house, I learned that some tattoo ink contains lead and so anyone with a tattoo cannot get an MRI (i think thats the scan that was mentioned). Is this true?? If so, is there any inks that do not use lead??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

It's a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Dercola

I'm not saying its a flat out lie, but I can remember watching an episode of Mythbusters some time ago, where they tested this out out..
    First they tattoo's a pig carcase & placed it next to a high powered radio broadcast tower. Then eventually, one of the heavily tattoo'd girls actually climbed into an MRI machine herself.. Both tests were pretty conclusive in saying that tats aren't really affected by getting an MRI..

From what I was lead to believe, its the much older tattoo inks that contained traces of lead.. Nowadays, they are mostly composed of metal salts & vegtable dyes....

You should be safe as houses ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

ya they tested ot on mythbusters twas ok for the girl with the tattoos she wasnt affected at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Mythbusters.... il def need to take a look at that episode!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Load of nonsense I have tattoos and have had three MRI scans to date And everything is OK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I had an MRI and the reason they ask if you have tattoos is because if you have a tattoo in the area they're scanning, it might obscure the scan and so they inject a dye into you to see the area. That's what they told me anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I had an MRI last month nothing was said to me about the tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I have many tattoos and have also had several MRI's, I've never had a problem, and some of my Tattoos are over 25 years old so if any of them had lead it would be mine

21/25

Advertisement