Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2012 - New Rent Supplement Limits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Well, there isn't an endless supply of shares either, and I find that the vast majority of house-shares do not want a unemployed RA recipient living there either... In fact, a quick Daft search turns up ONLY 27 house/flat shares in the ENTIRE Dublin area that accept RA and are under the new €300 limit

Here's an example of a search for Sth Dub

"Sorry, but your search for a room in shared accommodation where landlord accepts rent allowance for less than €300 in South Co. Dublin yielded no results."

South Dublin is loosely regarded as one of the most desireable parts of the country to live in (bearing in mind the obvious exceptions).
    If RA tenants cannot afford to live there, why do you see that as a problem.
    I'd like to live in Monte Carlo but I can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

MYOB wrote: »
    30,000 new tenants unable to pay the prices the landlords were going to look for.

Will they not move into cheaper places forcing rents down overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭ann0

i dont think its that easy to find cheaper places.i wouldent expect someone with 3 kids to go into a 2 bed house

ann0 wrote: »
    i dont think its that easy to find cheaper places.i wouldent expect someone with 3 kids to go into a 2 bed house

Beggars can't be choosers
    A long forgotten expression in Ireland.

10 occupants in a 2 bed house.i think if you more than 4 boys or girls in a room these days its ilegal.if i was on ra i wouldent move in with a bunch of people i dont know.
    acually look at all the boarded up council houses they stay like that for ages

• Advertisement

we all got to use to the money we all had in the boom

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Zamboni wrote: »
    South Dublin is loosely regarded as one of the most desireable parts of the country to live in (bearing in mind the obvious exceptions).
    If RA tenants cannot afford to live there, why do you see that as a problem.
    I'd like to live in Monte Carlo but I can't.

Well, surely people have a choice of where they'd like to live?? Maybe they have family, or friends nearby. Maybe they see themselves working in that area sometime soon, maybe they've lived there all their life. Rathmines is the 'home' of the bedsit, and is in Sth Dublin and there are no properties available.

Anyway, it was merely an example of the lack of properties currently under the limit. A search in Nth Dub results in 6 properties by the way and West has 7. That's 13 properties, so the 30-40,000 people on RA in Dublin should be spoiled for choice.

BostonB wrote: »
    Will they not move into cheaper places forcing rents down overall.

If people are forced to leave their current accomodation it will mean that the Landlord was unwilling/unable to reduce the rent to the new limits in the first place. That's one less flat accepting RA already.

I expect a lot of LL would be desperate for the rent, so will have no choice.

...Anyway, it was merely an example of the lack of properties currently under the limit. A search in Nth Dub results in 6 properties by the way and West has 7. That's 13 properties, so the 30-40,000 people on RA in Dublin should be spoiled for choice.

I think limiting yourself to Daft is a bit misguided. Most LL I know use local agents rather than Daft. Cuts out a lot of messing. A lot of people aren't on the web too.

• Advertisement

Well, surely people have a choice of where they'd like to live??

No. No they shouldn't. Not if they cannot afford their own accomodation costs.
    We cannot afford to let people choose where they want to live, what type of accomodation they get, or how many rooms they want in their house (as a previous poster suggested).
    I'd like to live in a 5 bed in Killiney but I cannot afford to buy one.

I mean come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

I have a tenant who has had their rent allowance reduced, I have offered to reduce rent by the same but he stated the officer said he must move, how can this be? The rent is currently just at market value and what I have offered is way below and people will have trouble finding houses to rent. This was not an investment property by the way but my own house which I had to move out of due to financial reasons. Anybody experiencing the same lunacy?

Get the officers name and give them a call about it and get the reason for that. The tenant might have picked them up wrong. Be curious to hear what reason they give.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

We cannot afford to let people choose where they want to live, what type of accomodation they get, or how many rooms they want in their house (as a previous poster suggested).

I mean come on.

So kids are taken out of schools and put into other schools etc too?
    I mean come on!!!

I mean come on.

This isn't Nazi Germany Zamboni, people have prefernces and certain areas they would 'like' to live in. I'm not saying that RA recipients should be living in grand villas in Dalkey, but if they can find a property in their local area then why not?

I mean, do you expect someone living in Dublin, who can't afford a place now (after being forced to leave somewhere they were living after the government changed the rules) to move to Limerick, because it's the only place they can afford? It'll be just like the forced emigration of the 1800's

I would not even be on here arguing if I saw evidence that rents are dropping or going to drop.

BostonB wrote: »
    I think limiting yourself to Daft is a bit misguided. Most LL I know use local agents rather than Daft. Cuts out a lot of messing. A lot of people aren't on the web too.

Yeah, I understand that but Daft is a good guide as to the trends and average prices etc

I would not even be on here arguing if I saw evidence that rents are dropping or going to drop.

I jsut think you are jumping the gun to be honest.
    The new limits have just been brought in. It will affect rates but it won't happen overnight.

Ps: Don't godwin the thread.

Dovies wrote: »
    So kids are taken out of schools and put into other schools etc too?
    I mean come on!!!

Oh the tragedy.
    A child having to change school because of a change in economic circumstances.

I jsut think you are jumping the gun to be honest.
    The new limits have just been brought in. It will affect rates but it won't happen overnight.

Ps: Don't godwin the thread.

The problem for most people is that it HAS to happen overnight, or they're homeless!

Oh the tragedy.
    A child having to change school because of a change in economic circumstances.

It is a bit of a tragedy in fairness. Also, people will lose deposits, phone, tv, internet contracts will be terminated resulting in termination fees. Moving costs too... It's a mess.

• Advertisement

It is a bit of a tragedy in fairness.
    No it isn't. People change location for all sorts of reasons. Kids get over it.
    Also, people will lose deposits, phone, tv, internet contracts will be terminated resulting in termination fees. Moving costs too... It's a mess.

It applies to new applicants. No need for the mess you're talking about.
    I do accept it could be tough for folks who leases are up around now though.

No it isn't. People change location for all sorts of reasons. Kids get over it.

It applies to new applicants. No need for the mess you're talking about.
    I do accept it could be tough for folks who leases are up around now though.

My understanding is that if affects anyone who is about to be reviewed, which is everybody. The reviews don't happen at end of lease, normally they occur in Jan every year

My understanding is that if affects anyone who is about to be reviewed, which is everybody. The reviews don't happen at end of lease, normally they occur in Jan every year

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76608434&postcount=6

Well that isn't overly clear either. I have heard reports that people have received letters, despite being mid-lease. In fact, a number of years ago I was on RA and was reviewed about two months after I'd started receiving it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Beggars can't be choosers
    A long forgotten expression in Ireland.

Ah yeah of course........:rolleyes:

I sincerely hope you never fall on hard times......

A lot of those beggars happen to be Full Time Family Carers......... who save the state a fortune but who could now find themselves and their disabled or incapitated family members homeless. Not every landlord is willing or able to drop their rent by a couple of hundred in some cases.

I don't see too many properties to let at the new rates either. Actully in my area there is not even one.

Confirmation that the reviews are happening immediately, and not at end-of-lease

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0120/rent.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Knine wrote: »
    Ah yeah of course........:rolleyes:

I sincerely hope you never fall on hard times......

A lot of those beggars happen to be Full Time Family Carers......... who save the state a fortune but who could now find themselves and their disabled or incapitated family members homeless. Not every landlord is willing or able to drop their rent by a couple of hundred in some cases.

I don't see too many properties to let at the new rates either. Actully in my area there is not even one.

Oh come on!! No one is going to be homeless. Instead of living in a nice modern 3 bedroom apartment or house, they will have to downgrade to smaller accomodation. Rent allowance limits are ridiculous in this country. If my husband and I (no kids) were on the dole and in receipt of rent allowance, we could easily afford a nice 2 bedroom apartment in the area we live in. Alas, we are not and therefore can only afford a 1 bedroom apartment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Badhb

Monife wrote: »
    Oh come on!! No one is going to be homeless. Instead of living in a nice modern 3 bedroom apartment or house, they will have to downgrade to smaller accomodation. Rent allowance limits are ridiculous in this country. If my husband and I (no kids) were on the dole and in receipt of rent allowance, we could easily afford a nice 2 bedroom apartment in the area we live in. Alas, we are not and therefore can only afford a 1 bedroom apartment.

Maybe you have no comprehension what the reality of this means for most people. Now, I do not have children, nor do I have a partner but, like most single people, many of us are disabled, terminally ill, carers for those who are, or are going through illness ourselves, even depression, and many more who find themselves in a situation dependent on rent supplement, suddlenly having to find a new place to live.

We are told that this is an opportunity for us to 'negotiate' with our landlords a reduced rent. They are looking to increase our rents due to the rising costs, including the new household charges.
    It took me 3 months last year to find a place remotely habitable and a landlord who accepted rent supplement, not I am faced with the reality of nowhere to go. There are thousands more like me.

Can you imagine what it is like to have an illness and finally after months of searching for a landlord who will accept rent supplement for a place that is not hazardous to health, to suddenly have to tell them you can no longer pay them €529 a month but now only €475, and this is when they want an increase to €540 a month, and you cannot argue it is above market rates, for although it is a bedsit it is not horrible, and will go like a flash due to the student area it is in?

But I am too ill to move out of my place. Launch an appeal with PRTB, don't make me laugh, firstly I rely on the goodwill of my landlord, and secondly an old housemate of mine from the time I used to share, did that for that previous landlord withheld his rent. Said landlord was not even registered with PRTB. Landlord got away with it, and if that tenant wanted to appeal, it would have cost him €40.

This is utterly wrong, what is happening, and I am disgusted by some of the posters here.

Advertisement