Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trail Running Shoes

• 05-12-2011 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I'm new to running,and have started running on forest roads and will hopefully be taking on some singletrack trails and hills once I get my fitness up.
    At the moment I am running in a pair of beat up old trainers so need an upgrade!

I was looking at both of these

http://www.champion.ie/products.php?prod_id=11169

http://www.champion.ie/products.php?prod_id=10851

Anybody have recommendations on either?
    Both are at the upper end of my budget so a bit limited with choice.
    Is the Gel in the Asics of any benefit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Duke Fame

I have a pair of each but i prefer the Asics. Didnt find much difference
    in the performance but the Asics I also found them better fit and more comfortable.

Think I paid 55 euro in Elverys for them a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Is this a new event :rolleyes:
    I'm new to running,and have started running on forest roads and will hopefully be taking on some singletrack trails and hills once I get my fitness up.
    At the moment I am running in a pair of beat up old trainers so need an upgrade!

I was looking at both of these

http://www.champion.ie/products.php?prod_id=11169

http://www.champion.ie/products.php?prod_id=10851

Anybody have recommendations on either?
    Both are at the upper end of my budget so a bit limited with choice.
    Is the Gel in the Asics of any benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭nicecupotay

Is this a new event :rolleyes:

Yeah,think I'm on to something here.........do you reckon it has a chance of taking off?;):D

Must say,I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would(also running at night with torches means you cant' see those soul destroying mile long straights!).
    Road running never had any appeal to me,and I didn't even know there was specific trail running shoes until I went onto John Buckley's in Corks website,so was just going to get a regular pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Right, I'm thinking of running up some dirty hills over the winter and need some experienced recommendations for a trail running shoe and a head torch. I'm neutral to slight supinator mid foot strike and wear cushioned road running shoes.

Ta folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Right, I'm thinking of running up some dirty hills over the winter and need some experienced recommendations for a trail running shoe and a head torch. I'm neutral to slight supinator mid foot strike and wear cushioned road running shoes.

Ta folks

I'm in the same boat as yourself SGM.

I found a good imra thread which in the first post has links to several other pages where there are recommendations for trail running shoes.

To save you reading through them the general consensus seems to be that the Salomon Speedcross 2 are the mutts nuts. I hope Santa knows his way to The Great Outdoors!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

I'm neutral to slight supinator mid foot strike and wear cushioned road running shoes.

Ta folks

Don't want to go out on a limb here but as far as I know, all trail runners are set up for neutrals. Maybe someone can confirm that though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

I'm neutral to slight supinator mid foot strike and wear cushioned road running shoes.

Ta folks

Don't want to go out on a limb here but as far as I know, all trail runners are set up for neutrals. Maybe someone can confirm that though

From what I've read it seems that the rough terrain encountered during hill running puts the foot through a wide range of motion thus reducing the requirement for shoes with motion control. Road running would put the foot through a more repetative motion. The surface would also be less strenuous than road running so joints would be under less stress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

In general this is true.

All of the iNOV-8 are based on a neutral foot becasue the surface is ususally considered neutralising due to natural springiness. Also with trail and off road running your usual road running stride is not apparant due to shortening and lengthening of your stride due to obstacles, terrain, jumping over puddles, hopping from side to side etc.

Because of the additional motions, not usual to road running, trail shoes will also be of a lower profile to add stabililty so the amount of cushioning will be reduced. This also heightens your body's natural proprioception and awareness of the mixed surfaces.

Having said that. There are a couple of shoes in particular suitable for severe over pronators or heavier built individuals.

Mizuno Wave Cabrakan is considered a trail version of the Wave Inspire and provides good medial support and stability.
    iNOV-8 Roclite 319 (becoming Roclite 309) is a sturdier shoe with a decent piece of medial support, not technically a support shoe but performs well.
    ASICS Trabuco is one I would consider as supportive also.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

I'd be a heavier lad requiring stability for pronation, and cushioning in road shoes. For running off-road I use:

Mizuno Wave Cabrakan- good support and cushioning when running track/compacted ground.

Soloman Speedcross2- good support (theres a heel box), good for track/grass/open mountain

iNOV-8 Roclite 315- best allround shoe you can get, and will last for ages. Useful for open mountain/grass, ok for trail. Less support and cushioning, and almost every mountain runner seems to have a pair of these as their "old faithful".

As mentioned above, less support and cushioning is needed the further you go from hard, flatter, surfaces.

Advertisement