Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming to Xbox. What to use?

Options
  • 05-12-2011 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering what your preferences are for streaming media to xbox?

I've used (shudder) Windows Media Player, but gave that up as a result of the lack of codec support.

I've also used PS3MediaServer (yeah works for xbox too!). Which works grand and plays mkv files but sometimes after a while it'll just give up (connection is grand).

Just wondering am I missing out on a decent media center? Not sure about xbmc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I use Tversity and it does the trick nicely. It wont stream mkv's (i think) but i wouldn't use them so it doesn't bother me

http://tversity.com/

Edit: It can be a bit finnicky the odd time, but nothing that ending the program and starting it again wouldn't fix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

GAAman wrote: »
    I use Tversity and it does the trick nicely. It wont stream mkv's (i think) but i wouldn't use them so it doesn't bother me

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll check it out. Hmm. Seeing that some files I have are mkv I may need it. :(

Also would anyone know if you have a file with the option of different audio inputs (say Chinese\English) and subtitles, can you choose when streaming?

chin_grin wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll check it out. Hmm. Seeing that some files I have are mkv I may need it. :(

Also would anyone know if you have a file with the option of different audio inputs (say Chinese\English) and subtitles, can you choose when streaming?

Why not use both? Use ps3 media server for your mkv's and tversity for the rest?

The second part i would not have a clue about sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Sorry if this is not the answer your looking for but I just use Windows Media Center and the Media Browser add in and it has yet to not play a file for me. I have tested AVI, DIVX, 3GP, MKV, MP4 and they have all streamed with no issues. Maybe its something I installed along the way in the codecs but it works for me.

Have a look here and it may help http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114/t/78749.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Edit: It can be a bit finnicky the odd time, but nothing that ending the program and starting it again wouldn't fix

I was using TVersity for ages and like GAAman found it a bit finickety to the point of annoying. So I switched to Twonky Media. And its near perfect, though I find it better on PS3 than Xbox. There are roundabout ways of getting it for free. >_>

http://www.twonkymedia.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Sorry if this is not the answer your looking for but I just use Windows Media Center and the Media Browser add in and it has yet to not play a file for me. I have tested AVI, DIVX, 3GP, MKV, MP4 and they have all streamed with no issues. Maybe its something I installed along the way in the codecs but it works for me.

Have a look here and it may help http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114/t/78749.aspx

I think its Shark007 codecs you need to get WMC to play MKV etc.

mcgovern wrote: »
    I think its Shark007 codecs you need to get WMC to play MKV etc.

Yes did indeed install shark007 and everything streams fine in WMC. saves me having to use a different streaming app as WMC is pretty well covering everything now for me.
    :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Use PS3 Media Server.

chin_grin wrote: »
    I've also used PS3MediaServer (yeah works for xbox too!).
    Use PS3 Media Server.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Derp, apologies for missing that.

OP, continue using PS3 Media Server, from my experience it's the best.
    If it's disconnecting it may require more configuration & support from the forums.

• Advertisement

OP, continue using PS3 Media Server, from my experience it's the best.
    If it's disconnecting it may require more configuration & support from the forums.

If the OP says it drops connection then surely its not doing the job required - why not just go with what comes built in to the Xbox and Windows 7 i.e. Windows Media Center.
    Then there is no need to messing around on forums and the likes to get it set up as it just works out of the box
    I fired up the PC fired up the Xbox and whamm it all worked (I did however download Shark007 Codec and that seems to ensure all files play without issue)

Anything for an easy life:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Lads,

My young lad has an xBox which is connected to my TV via HDMI and wirelessly conneted to my UPC broadband router. I've also just installed a new Desktop which now holds my budding media library of mostly AVI, MP4 and MKV files. Up until now I've had to hook my laptop up to my TV via HDMI to watch movies but I'd now like to stream content via the xBox which I understand is possible but have no experience of. I've googled and Youtubed it but found lots of conflicting or difficult to understand info so my head is spinning a bit.

Can someone here either point me in the direction of an idiots guide to setting up streamed content to the xBox given the setup I summarised above? The new desktop BTW is Win 7 64 bit.

Cheers all,

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    Lads,

My young lad has an xBox which is connected to my TV via HDMI and wirelessly conneted to my UPC broadband router. I've also just installed a new Desktop which now holds my budding media library of mostly AVI, MP4 and MKV files. Up until now I've had to hook my laptop up to my TV via HDMI to watch movies but I'd now like to stream content via the xBox which I understand is possible but have no experience of. I've googled and Youtubed it but found lots of conflicting or difficult to understand info so my head is spinning a bit.

Can someone here either point me in the direction of an idiots guide to setting up streamed content to the xBox given the setup I summarised above? The new desktop BTW is Win 7 64 bit.

Cheers all,

Ben

As far as i know tversity (see my post above) works with win 7, i do not know this first hand though. It is easy to set up, and you just need to add the folders that you want to stream from.

Install the program>

Click the library tab>

Make sure under sources on the left hand side file system is selected>

Click add item> Click the browse button> Pick the folder/folders you want to stream from> Robert is your fathers brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i use wmc myself plays everything.

this reminds me that a mod on here said he was going to make a media streaming sticky but he moosed have forgotten about it

dunworth1 wrote: »

this reminds me that a mod on here said he was going to make a media streaming sticky but he moosed have forgotten about it

i-see-what-you-did-there2.jpg

And i like it!

Lads,

Cheers all,

Ben

Deffo find Windows Media Center the easiest set up. If you have it installed on the PC then I reccommend installing Media Browser (see here)
    Media Browser will then scan your folders for all the media you have on the laptop.
    You then fire up the Xbox and go in to Windows Media Center and add the Xbox as an extender. (see here)

Once they are connected then you can use Windows Media Center and Media Browser on the Xbox to view all the movies.

You do however have to have the laptop turned on to stream stuff to the Xbox.

I have 2 very bad videos here on my set up that might help
    http://youtu.be/YcrD6FY_Yr8 and http://youtu.be/DllEqUgQEpM

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Deffo find Windows Media Center the easiest set up. If you have it installed on the PC then I reccommend installing Media Browser (see here)
    Media Browser will then scan your folders for all the media you have on the laptop.
    You then fire up the Xbox and go in to Windows Media Center and add the Xbox as an extender. (see here)

Once they are connected then you can use Windows Media Center and Media Browser on the Xbox to view all the movies.

You do however have to have the laptop turned on to stream stuff to the Xbox.

I have 2 very bad videos here on my set up that might help
    http://youtu.be/YcrD6FY_Yr8 and http://youtu.be/DllEqUgQEpM

just started using media browser myself

Does it play MKV files as well as AVI and MP4's or do you need to load some special codec's to play MKV's?

I did a first run at setting up WMC but didn't get very far. My desktop is pulling broadband via wireless and so it the xBox resulting in a sub optimal connection between the two for streaming content.

I need to get some of those electrical socket network yokies (I know it's not the corect technical term) which will allow the xBox and Desktop to be connected over the electrical network in the house to the router so I can have the right setup in place before I spend a few more hours getting the library etc set up.

Anyone got any recommendations for the electrical socket network yokies?? :D

Ben

Does it play MKV files as well as AVI and MP4's or do you need to load some special codec's to play MKV's?
    n

it wont play mkv natively but with the quick install of the shark007 codecs your flying it.

yes would need to have to wired directly or through the powerline adapters to get any decent use out of them.

wireless just isnt enough especially with hd stuff

it wont play mkv natively but with the quick install of the shark007 codecs your flying it.

yes would need to have to wired directly or through the powerline adapters to get any decent use out of them.

wireless just isnt enough especially with hd stuff

I have a wireless N router and everything plays fine across the network. Only thing is notice is content takes 90 seconds or so to load fanart when you turn on the xbox and sometimes ff/rew is a bit slow to respond.
    I presume if your PC is wireless N capable then you can theoretical get up to 300mbps between it and the Xbox. It has nothing to do with the speed of your broadband

• Advertisement

I read that in order to install Shark007 codec's you have to set your pc up to US date format etc. Is that true?

Ben

I read that in order to install Shark007 codec's you have to set your pc up to US date format etc. Is that true?

Ben

Nope
    Just go here http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html
    and you should see a link to download the codec - its free and is hosted by MajorGeeks I think

Ben

not at all my date never changed

Thanks lads,

Have 6 x TP Link Powerline adapters on the way from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=pd_bxgy_computers_img_b for €120 delivered so should be up and running with WMC and Shark007 Codecs over the weekend.

I've one other TV in the "Good" room which I'd love to stream content to also. Suggestions for the best way to do that now I have a Desktop which can act as a server/library for content and I'm going to have a powerline network to facilitate file transfer?

Should I just buy a used xBox and use it for WMC or should I invest in something which will offer online content streaming as well as stored movies like this Nettop PC http://www.ebuyer.com/279901-acer-aspire-revo-r3700-nettop-pt-seme2-045 or a dedicated streaming device like the Boxee http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-Boxee-Digital-Media-Player/dp/B0043EV3MS/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1323859434&sr=1-1

Decisions decisions.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

While we're on the subject, i just have a quick one for ye wise folks.

Is there any benefit in using WMC to stream as opposed to WMP? I'm not the biggest fan of WMC as I find all the attention to GUI detail makes it a bit slow and cumbersome to open and navigate compared to the basic layout of the WMP set up. Also, in my head, i'm thinking that WMP uses less system resources than WMC - could be completely wrong there.

Advertisement