Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems installing second router?

• 05-12-2011 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

hi all
    am installing a second router upstairs at the girlfriend house as she cannot get internet in her room,
    phone line is working well and router is perfect as im tryin with 2 different models to make sure.
    for whatever reason the dsl light will not come on on either??
    cabling is fine and it should be good to go but i get nothing!!!!
    the house has broadband already so im perplexed as to why it will not work upstairs especially since the phone line is working,,
    any suggestions would be great guys as this is my second day tackling this and i cant for the life of me figure it out:mad:
    its driving me mental:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You cannot have a second modem. Only one per line and you've already got one connected to the socket downstairs. Disconnect the one downstairs and it may connect (if the cables are looped)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Switching one off will allow the other to work, but only if the line is not filtered. If it is filtered it will never work. Only one can ever be switched on at a time.

A better idea would be to run an Ethernet cable from the modem up to the room where the broadband is no accessible. Cable will cost you less than a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greengrass87

thanks guys i appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Feardorca

hi all
    am installing a second router upstairs at the girlfriend house as she cannot get internet in her room,
    phone line is working well and router is perfect as im tryin with 2 different models to make sure.
    for whatever reason the dsl light will not come on on either??
    cabling is fine and it should be good to go but i get nothing!!!!
    the house has broadband already so im perplexed as to why it will not work upstairs especially since the phone line is working,,
    any suggestions would be great guys as this is my second day tackling this and i cant for the life of me figure it out:mad:
    its driving me mental:eek:
    I got a unit that uses the house wiring, called "Net-Tricity" about €99 works great. It's a 2 unit system, sets up in seconds, very reliable, available in electronic stores. Good Luck !!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greengrass87

Feardorca wrote: »
    I got a unit that uses the house wiring, called "Net-Tricity" about €99 works great. It's a 2 unit system, sets up in seconds, very reliable, available in electronic stores. Good Luck !!

can you give me some more information on these feardorca??
    the ethernet cable is a no go for me as she will need wireless for her iphone aswell so im wondering what way do these netricity devices work exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

Netricity
    I bought 3 years ago @ Maplins for € 49.95 only
    Working great no need long cables to run etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They're called homeplugs, you send broadband over your electrical circuitry to the other room. You can even get them with wireless access point on one end, just plug the other into your modem router with an ethernet cable

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DHP-W307AV-PowerLine-Homeplug-Wireless/dp/B004KPLKO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323163434&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Feardorca

can you give me some more information on these feardorca??
    the ethernet cable is a no go for me as she will need wireless for her iphone aswell so im wondering what way do these netricity devices work exactly?
    Hi there. "Piri" and "Pog Mo Thoin" have contributed also, please follow the link provided by "Piri" and give store a call and one of the assistants should give you an indication if it will work for you. Regards F.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I know this is likely to fall on deaf ears, but I would plead with people to find alternatives to these home-plug/mains ethernet devices. They basically turn your house wiring into a wide-band noise generator. Anyone who has an interest in radio living within mile or more of you will have their hobby completely obliterated by the interference generated by these items.
    They are often uncertified devices, which means that they are not even tested with regard to interference generation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As well as being interference generators, which can interfere with baby monitors, Wifi, cordless phones, etc, they are also susceptible to interference, which means you can get varying results. They're also a lot more expensive than an Ethernet cable, which is all you really need.

gerryk wrote: »
    I know this is likely to fall on deaf ears, but I would plead with people to find alternatives to these home-plug/mains ethernet devices. They basically turn your house wiring into a wide-band noise generator. Anyone who has an interest in radio living within mile or more of you will have their hobby completely obliterated by the interference generated by these items.
    They are often uncertified devices, which means that they are not even tested with regard to interference generation.
    They tested and causing no problem
    My hobby is listening music on really high-end gear (Roksan Naim Audiolab etc...) I have never experienced problem with this
    I think this is the future of broadband internet No need to use mobile phones or landline as everyone has electricity :)

Advertisement