Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maintenance and welfare query

Options
  • 05-12-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi,

I've applied for a maintenance order for the Father of my baby. I've been given the date and he has been sent the summons. If my ex (babys dad) is on welfare, is he still obliged to pay anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Yes he can still be ordered to pay some token maintenance even with being only in receipt of welfare payments, it depends on the details and the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

With a court order he can claim for his child as part of his social welfare payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

thanks kildrought, I actually had thought about it from his angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Can you explain how that works? I'm unemployed and in college but was ordered to pay e100 out of income of e188. With e40 travel costs to collect my son and costs of going to college this seems exorbitantly high.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Then go back and appeal it, you apply for a variance order.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Kildrought wrote: »
    With a court order he can claim for his child as part of his social welfare payment.
    No he can't not unless he has the child for more than 4 days a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Can you explain how that works? I'm unemployed and in college but was ordered to pay e100 out of income of e188. With e40 travel costs to collect my son and costs of going to college this seems exorbitantly high.
    Do you agree this prior to actually meeting in the courtroom, €25 was the about some for 1 child If your on the dole, once you have the out goings and expensives to prove it

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davidian_ie
    Do you agree this prior to actually meeting in the courtroom, €25 was the about some for 1 child If your on the dole, once you have the out goings and expensives to prove it

I had no solicitor and walked in raw into courtroom.Thought I would get a just decision from the Judge if I was open and honest regarding my circumstances but 100 euros was quite a shock to the system.Not looking for short cuts or to be mean but this was a bit on the excessive side regarding my circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Details on SW payments and definitions of 'qualified child'

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/depsqc.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I had no solicitor and walked in raw into courtroom.Thought I would get a just decision from the Judge if I was open and honest regarding my circumstances but 100 euros was quite a shock to the system.Not looking for short cuts or to be mean but this was a bit on the excessive side regarding my circumstances.
    There are various possible reasons for this. A judge, first of all, has to decide amounts based upon the income and expenditure of both parents. If you didn't bring proof of either, then it becomes a question of whether the judge believes you or not.

Even with proof, some judges may still not believe you, and there is some good reason for this in that some will literally quit their jobs and go on the dole as a ploy to pay less. In such cases, judges will seek to 'force' the father to get a job by awarding unrealistic levels.

I would apply for a motion of variance if I were you, but do pay the 100 Euros per week until then. To facilitate the latter, get a loan or overdraft from the bank so that you further demonstrate that you are paying beyond your means and include a repayment schedule as part of your costs when you reapply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement