Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woohoo! Got our new doggy kennels!

• 05-12-2011 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I was searching for a looong time for the right kennel, I've tried igloos and other plastic type, standard wooden kennels etc. but the plasticy ones even the igloo (which aren't cheap) created a load of condensation and the wooden one we had years ago was very basic. I was looking in to steel kennels but was worried about the condensation I was reluctant to get a timber one again because a lot of them seemed flimsy and when looking for insulated timber ones they seemed to only be half insulated or just the sides or the floor.

Eventually came across a new company that have just started up, http://www.petcosy.ie/ the kennels are rock solid, fully insulated including the floor and roof, thick timber and the roof lifts up for easy cleaning.

I am gonna fit some dog flaps on the front because where we live is tres windy no matter where you place stuff. They look very big from the outside but that's because the insulation is in between, the inside is exactly the right size for our pooches and what really swayed me was the flooring. It's non slip so far doesn't seem to attract condensation and cleanable.

(Have nowt to do with the company we're just a very happy customer with two happy cosy doggles).

Will attempt to post some piccies..the run is going to be doubled in size soon but the girls have access to 3/4 of an acre in case anyone goes ooo that's a small run.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 loulou M

Hi, I was delighted to read about this company that supply insulated dog kennels, unfortunately I can't find their website. I'm hoping they're still in business
    Do you have a contact name or number for them? I'd really appreciate your help!:)

Lou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The insualtion in the kennel is useless unless the door is also shut fully ? who is going to lock their dog into a small little box

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Link isn't working.

I'm also looking for runs/kennels built is anyone has any other recommendations that would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 loulou M

You can get different size kennels and we were planning on attaching a doggie flap to it. We also have other kennels in our garden, I just want to get this additional one for the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

@ outkast..not true it still is warm with no door on it, but you can fit a dog flap on them no problem the ones using a magnetic strip will close snugley without locking.

@Billy I'll pm you the guys info. not sure why the site is down but he's still doing the kennels afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

@ outkast..not true it still is warm with no door on it, but you can fit a dog flap on them no problem the ones using a magnetic strip will close snugley without locking.

@Billy I'll pm you the guys info. not sure why the site is down but he's still doing the kennels afaik.
    A dog flap is a door !! it stops cold air coming in for the most part.

What i said is without a door its throwing money away , which it is, as cold air will simply make the insualtion pointless as the delta temperature between inside and outiside is the same.

The only area to benefit with insulation is the floor which the dogs body is in direct contact with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

Would you mind pm'ing me too please? This is exactly what I'm looking for too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What i said is without a door its throwing money away , which it is, as cold air will simply make the insualtion pointless as the delta temperature between inside and outiside is the same.

The only area to benefit with insulation is the floor which the dogs body is in direct contact with.
    The other possible benefit would be that no wind gets into the kennel, aside from through the door, which seem to be pointed at the house, so no direct wind. But yeah, I agree about the door.

The website is registered until 2013, so I'm guessing it's down for maintenance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Hi Op can you PM me as well? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have pmd you guys.
    We doubled the size of the run without having to buy more panels..using some sort of fandangled screws to stabilise it. So the kennels both face close to the wall where the over hang of the house roof shelters the entrances as well as the wall itself but trying to get himself to fit the dog flaps on most of his spare time is spent working on fencing or cutting grass/mechanically removing dog poops from the garden. The roofs are ventilated so even with the flaps on there will be good ventilation. ..the other dog was there but too cosy to leave her kennel as it's bedtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mr Moxie

Hi all :), Declan here, I am the founder of Pet Cosy.
    Firstly, apologies to anyone trying to access our website, it was only active for a short period of time before being temporarily disabled.
    Apart from a few local orders Pet Cosy was more or less on hold for most of the year for personal reasons but we are now up and running again!
    I am working on the finishing touches of the current design. The materials are still the same, the main changes will be that we can now flat pack our product and we are talking to couriers regarding delivery to all corners of the island :), also some of you will be delighted to know the latest design will come with a dog flap fitted.
    However, I have personally tested an Extra Large Dog Cosy with no flap, by staying in it for an hour on a cold night with thermometers inside and out, it is warmer inside, this is assisted by the fact that we have 5 sizes to try to match the house closely to your pets size.
    In saying that a dog flap will indeed assist to keep the temperature higher inside, it is a benefit particularly in windy locations and on the extreme cold nights we occasionally have.
    I am also investigating heat mat options, hopefully as a self install add on in the current Dog Cosy design. This will be very beneficial for pets that normally live indoors but may need to be out while the owners are away, particularly small breeds and breeds that have a light coat.
    I do hope to enabled the updated site very soon, but if anyone would like to contact me please PM me and I will send you my email.
    I do hope that I am not breaking any forum rules here and I apologise if I am.
    All the best, Declan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Mr. Moxie, have you small kennels? Something for the cat.

Mr Moxie wrote: »
    However, I have personally tested an Extra Large Dog Cosy with no flap, by staying in it for an hour on a cold night

That's dedication, good on ya

Hi HardLuckWoman

Yes, Cat Cosy, I will PM you my contact details & can send you further info & photos.

D

:-) thank you bluewolf :-) I thought it was only fair to test them myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

sionnaic wrote: »

Would you mind pm'ing me too please? This is exactly what I'm looking for too!

Just FYI - I got my new petcosy kennel from Declan in November and it's great! Would highly recommend it - it really is exactly what I was looking for :) it's miles better than the standard wooden one I had from pet mania (which after 2 years was leaking badly), really there's just no comparison. For not much more money either.
    It's very well insulated - feels warmer inside even before I put their snugglesafe heat pads in. And very very solidly constructed - high quality materials and finish.
    And Declan couldn't be nicer to deal with - he was so obliging. He happily showed us around his workshop and explained his different models. And he went out of his way to source and fit a flap door for us rather than a wooden door, and even delivered the kennel himself within a few days of our order. I'm not one to lightly make recommendations but this is definitely one I'll be recommending to family & friends

Advertisement