Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strangers knocking the front door,asking for money

• 05-12-2011 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi, I am a new resident in Shannon.

In the last weeks, i encountered 2 groups of boys who knocked our front door and asked for money.

They came to our district in evening and sang some Christmas songs.

Does anybody know who are they? Should i give them money or just refuse them?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I normally just close the door while saying "Not tonight lads" (I'm in Ennis btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

I had this for the last 2 years in Shannon. Gave them a euro the first year. Didn't open the door last year and they broke the latch on the garden gate in a temper tantrum. I still just ignore them. I'm happy to give to charity but these kids are given enough when they call to houses in Shannon at Halloween. The parents shouldn't be letting em do it to begin with. Thats just my opinion. Before anyone lectures me that they were little angels trying to do their bit for charity, I recognised them as little mini scumbags from my neighbourhood and they were just trying to get a few quid out of the neighbours. I'm not sure if these would be the same kids that called to you. But personally I would just ignore it and give the money to charity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

gufnork wrote: »
    I had this for the last 2 years in Shannon. Gave them a euro the first year. Didn't open the door last year and they broke the latch on the garden gate in a temper tantrum. I still just ignore them. I'm happy to give to charity but these kids are given enough when they call to houses in Shannon at Halloween. The parents shouldn't be letting em do it to begin with. Thats just my opinion. Before anyone lectures me that they were little angels trying to do their bit for charity, I recognised them as little mini scumbags from my neighbourhood and they were just trying to get a few quid out of the neighbours. I'm not sure if these would be the same kids that called to you. But personally I would just ignore it and give the money to charity
    scrooge

I think that in this day and age its hardly unreasonable to find it inappropriate for parents to allow their kids to go door to door asking for money from strangers. If kids are supervised by a responsible adult and are collecting for a charity then thats one thing. But some people might find having groups of boys or other children whom they have never met, turning up on their doorstep and asking for money intimidating, particulary the elderly or people who are new to the town. Not to mention the risk to children from paedophiles. My personal opinion is that most people are hard pressed for cash as it is these days. I think most of us try to help a charity when we can but nobody really appreciates kids knocking on the door in November or early December trying to make an easy buck

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭fichillie

We tell them to call back St.Stephens day for the wren, and we'll give them a couple quid then.....they never call back..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

If a couple of young lads are happy to go from house to house singing their freezing, out of tune cheeks off then that's worth a euro.
    We had a couple of young lads (approx. 8yrs old) call last year and sing jingle bells. I thought it was hilarious and gave them a euro.

I prefer to see young lads doing things like that than hanging around corners abusing passing people, young or old and if they knock again this year and ask me for money I will make them earn it while I stand back a listen to another out of tune Jingle Bells tune. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Just tell them to fuck off and stop bothering you.:rolleyes:

I think it also depends on the age of the kids. The ones that called to my house where a damn sight older than 8. Of course I'd give em a couple of quid for the wren but Jesus christmas carols in November? Its bad enough looking at selection boxes in supermarkets in September! I get enough little kids knocking my door to raise funds for their primary schools. I'm happy to support charity in the community. I know its a bit of fun for the kids with the carols but I think most people would agree that its hard to pass through Shannnon town centre without at least 2 different charities asking for support. Anyway thats my rant for this morning at least. Hey none of us may have a spare euro by the end of today and if we do we may have to check with Merkel and Sarkozy for permission to spend it if we do by the end of next week. Merry Christmas to all

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭cookie82

its a bit early alright for christmas carols at the door just tell them sorry lads iv nothing on me call back another evening, chances are they wont.

the collection in the town center are mental at the moment. i work there and pass them 2 or 3 times a day its hard to walk past them but i just cant afford to support every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭idayang

Thank you so much, all my new neighbours;)

gufnork: exactly, I felt intimidating when I saw them. Some boys are around 10 yrs old, some boys are around 15 yrs old.I am wondering if it's a special local tradition that i don't know. If it is, certainly I will respect the tradition. In my opinion,however,I prefer to help a charity(I did so).

cookie82:It's hard to walk past those charities in town center.Sometimes i felt a little awkward if i didn't help them......especially for those people standing besides Lidl in windy days......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

The charity collections at the town centre have gotten out of hand.

If you walk in the main door by the Knights there is often somebody sitting up from there at a table. Then you go down by the post office and there could be a table outside there, then you go into Dunnes and have your bags packed by a community outside of Shannon who you have no choice to donate to as there are only 3 checkouts open and there are two collectors at each checkout, and then as soon as you come out of there there is another table outside of xtravision on the corner.

Really, it bothers me sometimes. And this is not just this time of year, this is most days!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭idayang

en......One day i didn't help a man besides Lidl, he looked at me with a strange expression(unhappy, or angry,it's hard to describe...),which made me uncomfortable.Another day, I heard another man from that society cursed a man didn't help him in low tones,still! besides Lidl.

I am a little afraid of this kind of things ;(

I think it's important to remember that while most of the charity collections are done by volunteers, there are some that pay collectors a percentage of what they collect. I grew up in Shannon and am in my late 30's and kids of any age knocking on doors asking for money for singing was only something that was done on St Stephens day for the wren and even that didn't happen every year. So this nonsense of knocking on doors trying to make a quick buck is just kids chancing their luck. I think you made the right decision to give to a charity. If people ignore them they'll probably get bored and go away, if not they'll just be encouraging a new tradition that makes some people feel intimidated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm thinking they're looking for money for fags and booze. And I'd say the elderly are threatened by this as well.

If you have any elderly neighbours, I'd ask if they felt threatened by this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Personally, I give €300 a month of my salary to charity, I get tax credits back in lieu of the donation so it's not an unselfish act, but it does mean that when people come knocking on my door looking for charity I can have a clear conscience when I tell them I don't want to donate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

idayang wrote: »
    Thank you so much, all my new neighbours;)

gufnork: exactly, I felt intimidating when I saw them. Some boys are around 10 yrs old, some boys are around 15 yrs old.I am wondering if it's a special local tradition that i don't know. If it is, certainly I will respect the tradition. In my opinion,however,I prefer to help a charity(I did so).

cookie82:It's hard to walk past those charities in town center.Sometimes i felt a little awkward if i didn't help them......especially for those people standing besides Lidl in windy days......

If you feel intimidated in your home by these callers, you should telephone the police and let them know. Make sure to use a safety chain when opening the door to a person or groups you don't know. Also, if you feel in anyway pressurized by people collecting outside shops it is good to let the police know as that should not be happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

It could be worse they could be asking for votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Tell them you are jewish and don't celebrate christmas....

phill106 wrote: »
    Tell them you are jewish and don't celebrate christmas....

Even better, tell them you're Jehovah's Witnesses and invite them in to hear about your faith, bet you won't have them calling again then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I when I see them comming I let the dog out the side gate. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Got them this evening singing jingle bells, told them to call back in 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Got them this evening singing jingle bells, told them to call back in 2 weeks.

delighted to say,i just got 2 young un's singing at the door this eve,asked them to sing 4 different songs which they did! no harm at all in them,the mother was having a laugh as i requested different songs from them to earn their cash.

Will i give again,certainly,but i shall request that old time favourite, the crystal Chandelier:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

delighted to say,i just got 2 young un's singing at the door this eve,asked them to sing 4 different songs which they did! no harm at all in them,the mother was having a laugh as i requested different songs from them to earn their cash.

Will i give again,certainly,but i shall request that old time favourite, the crystal Chandelier:D

Did you ask them to sing bohemian rhapsody? I would have :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MCannon77

Àsk them what charity its for and if they dont have a charity id tell them to feck off

Advertisement