Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitors fees. New house

Options
  • 05-12-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Can you tell me what solicitors fees should be if a house was €160000 and a stamp duty price too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TheFarneyman

Robbie G wrote: »
    Can you tell me what solicitors fees should be if a house was €160000 and a stamp duty price too

General price is around 1700 to seal the deal, not sure of the breakdown of costs but dont think it really matters what the price of the house is.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

"General price is around 1700 to seal the deal, not sure of the breakdown of costs but dont think it really matters what the price of the house is"

Not sure where that price came from there! Basically there is only one price negotiable with the actual solicitor and thats professional fees plus VAT. These can range on price. Some solicitors will nearly try to price themselves out of job cos they dont really wanna do it. You would prob be looking at around 1000 euro plus vat for these professionals fees.

Now the rest goes to the government and set fees. stamp duty be 1600 (minus Vat) but leave it at 1600 for sake of this estimate.

Then you have other fees like registry of mortgages, deeds etc., opening of folio on new house, search fees....prob come to somewhere around 700-800 euro.

so thats 1350 +1600 +800= 3750 you will be handing over to solicitor on closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Price of house means nowt.

I was quoted €1800 by 3 different firms about a year ago. I played them off against each other and got it for €1500.

Haggle. You should get a reduction. They will be doing next to no conveyancing business these days and will be glad of your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

Got a quote of €3800 including stamp duty

Got a quote of €3800 including stamp duty

yup thats about spot on. professional fees of 800-900 there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

We moved two years ago. A firm which we had dealt with for 30 years were looking for €2800. We got it done by another firm for €1600. So shop around. Don't take just one quote from one firm.

"We moved two years ago. A firm which we had dealt with for 30 years were looking for €2800. We got it done by another firm for €1600. So shop around. Don't take just one quote from one firm"

Id say yes shop around but Im pretty certain the quote you got there is spot on. I ran through the reasons why in other post. the only thing negotiable is solictors fees/ professional fees. For 3800 as a quote you are working off a professional fee of 800/900 plus Vat. unless you gonna get Lionel Hutz to be your solicitor you wont get a reasonable quality solicitor for less than that.

I got 10 quotes in last month for house Im buying. eventually settled on 3600 solicitors fees after negotiating professional fee.

1% stamp duty is 1600 add that to cheapest solicitor you can find if you get it all in for 3300 you'll be doing really well. But def shop around and bounce a few off each other, sorry previous message was just for a decent solicitor but if you can get one for 1500 go for it. 3800 seems steep to me, take 1600 away your left with 2,200 none of my solicitor quotes were near that.Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Zane97

Cheers I'll see what I can do. Good that stamp duty wasnt touched

1% stamp duty is 1600 add that to cheapest solicitor you can find if you get it all in for 3300 you'll be doing really well. But def shop around and bounce a few off each other, sorry previous message was just for a decent solicitor but if you can get one for 1500 go for it. 3800 seems steep to me, take 1600 away your left with 2,200 none of my solicitor quotes were near that.Best of luck

Read my first post!
    3800 take away 1600 (stamp duty) = 2200 take away nearly 800 for other fees like registry of mortgage, deeds, searches etc= 1400.... Now thats into territory of 1000 professional fees plus vat.

3800 is a decent price for a decent solicitor.

• Advertisement

BlueIsland wrote: »
    Read my first post!
    3800 take away 1600 (stamp duty) = 2200 take away nearly 800 for other fees like registry of mortgage, deeds, searches etc= 1400.... Now thats into territory of 1000 professional fees plus vat.

i know i saw it but my solicitor was all in for 1700 covered all that. Must have got myself a good deal:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 johntoc

BlueIsland wrote: »
    Read my first post!

i know i saw it but my solicitor was all in for 1700 covered all that. Must have got myself a good deal:D

I'm buying a house 1st week of January. The bidding ended at €65000. I have the cash so don't need a mortgage and its my second home. I know stamp duty is 650 I think. Does anyone know how much solicitor and other costs I will be paying

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Learpholl

johntoc wrote: »
    I'm buying a house 1st week of January. The bidding ended at €65000. I have the cash so don't need a mortgage and its my second home. I know stamp duty is 650 I think. Does anyone know how much solicitor and other costs I will be paying
    Im paying the following to my solicitor to close in January.

€1000+Vat - Professional services
    €500 - register land
    €125 - register mortgage
    €81 - required searches

Add to that the relevant stamp duty also.

The only part that was negotiable and differed when I rang various solicitors was the professional services fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Learpholl wrote: »
    Im paying the following to my solicitor to close in January.

€1000+Vat - Professional services
    €500 - register land
    €125 - register mortgage
    €81 - required searches

Add to that the relevant stamp duty also.

The only part that was negotiable and differed when I rang various solicitors was the professional services fee.

Shop around, if a solicitor is hungry they will do it for 700 and be glad of it. Better than getting nothing. Play one off the other. They would do it to you. i know of a house which was bought recently for 70,000. Solicitors fees was 700, which is 1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Ours was 1371 + Stamp all in earlier this month.
    No problems at all and would recommend to family in the future which is as high a recommendation I can give.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

750 plus outlays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

mari2222 wrote: »
    750 plus outlays

thats more like it. People paid too much for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 daze25

1% is average. Call around. A good friend of mine told me if they dont tell you the cost over the phone scratch them out of your phone book as you will never need them

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭quinnie123ie

NB: i am no way affiliated, but this guy will do it for what i found to be the cheapest... i have been in the market for a new house for around 18months now...

http://www.robertsweeneylaw.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭asomeday

Got a quote of 2000 last Friday including stamp duty (700ish) and
    land registry (500)

Is this about right???obviously give or take a bit

• Advertisement
Advertisement