Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question: "Open" shooting lands

Options
  • 05-12-2011 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi lads. I've done plenty of Google searching and browsing the forums for an answer to this but no joy. Dare I start a new thread? here goes (moderators feel free to move it if you must).

I've recently gotten into rifle shooting (.22lr) and for the most part, rabbit hunting. The lands that i currently shoot (where my permission is) are fairly small and not great for shooting in general as there are a few houses near by.

I've recently seen a few youtube vids of lads up the Dublin mountains etc. shooting rabbits and I started to wonder...

Is there such thing as "common hunting land"? i.e. can i just go to my local forest or mountain and start shooting? Do i need permission from any local authority? or Coillte or the cops or whoever?

Does anyone have any recommendations for the south-east area waterford/wexford? I don't have a lot of "countryside connections".

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

There is no-where in this country that you can shot without permission. Be it from a farmer for over his lands or from Coilte after renting a let, you MUST HAVE permission.

One option for you might be to join a local gun club. You oat dues and they have 'club land' over which all their members can shoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Chances are the lads in the videos have permission where they are shooting. Coilte charge hunters for leases in their forests and if you were caught shooting without permission in them you would wind up in alot of trouble.

My advice, go make some more country connections! knock on doors and ask, see a lad in a tractor, stop and ask him ect. local farm shop is a good place to meet these guys;)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Everyone of us has heard of "Common ground" or "The Commons" sometime or another. But the hunting rights to those lands are owned by someone. No matter how much you think sure thats no ones land, it is! During history land was the most precious thing a man could own so every bit claimed ownership.
    Common area mostly is a vast area split up into smaller holdings sometimes without fencing. But the owners and neighbours know well who's patch is who's

• Registered Users Posts: 26 neeko

Hibrion wrote: »
    There is no-where in this country that you can shot without permission. Be it from a farmer for over his lands or from Coilte after renting a let, you MUST HAVE permission.

One option for you might be to join a local gun club. You oat dues and they have 'club land' over which all their members can shoot.

Thanks for the quick reply lads.

Couple more questions Hibrion:
    1. In relation to "renting a let", can you elaborate more on this? I dont see any info on Coilte's site in relation to hunting. Am i to assume that a hunter can pay a fee to hunt Coilte lands??
    2. The whole Gun Club thing hasn't been too easy for me so far. I'm originally from Enniscorthy (permission on land between E/scorthy & Wexford town) but i currently live in Waterford. There is a gun club in Tramore but i've been told by a local gun dealer that i wouldn't have a hope getting membership as i live in Waterford town and not Tramore. So i'm kind of in gun club limbo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Join your local club in wexford:

I assume you go home for the weekend or visits. You need to get to know someone in the waterford clubs. Regardless you will need to be proposed and seconded to get in so knowing someone is important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

neeko wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply lads.

Couple more questions Hibrion:
    1. In relation to "renting a let", can you elaborate more on this? I dont see any info on Coilte's site in relation to hunting. Am i to assume that a hunter can pay a fee to hunt Coilte lands??
    2. The whole Gun Club thing hasn't been too easy for me so far. I'm originally from Enniscorthy (permission on land between E/scorthy & Wexford town) but i currently live in Waterford. There is a gun club in Tramore but i've been told by a local gun dealer that i wouldn't have a hope getting membership as i live in Waterford town and not Tramore. So i'm kind of in gun club limbo

you said you have a .22lr so paying a couple o grand to shoot on a coilte lease wouldnt be much point. its for deer stalking. you can shoot in the wood itself. you still need permission off the farmers to shoot in the fields around it

are you living in the city? im not sure of many gunclubs in east waterford but im sure if you ask around you'll find a few.

best thing you can do is call into farmers, introduce yourself, tell them where you live and ask can you shoot some rabbits on their land

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

As Garv has said, coilte lets are for deer stalking. My advise is to go and knock on some doors and ask nicely. All they can do is say no.
    Most lads have a good drive to get to their hunting ground, so don't expect to get something on your doorstep. I drive about 40 minutes to get to my primary hunting spot.

Thanks very much lads. Sound advice.

Looks like I need to bulk buy USA biscuits this Christmas and sweeten up some farmers! :D

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Thanks very much lads. Sound advice.

Looks like I need to bulk buy USA biscuits this Christmas and sweeten up some farmers! :D

Thanks again

Don't forget the tins of roses for mrs. Farmer;) "thank you very much for the rights to your land, thank you very much, thank you very very very much"! Although, if you bring some Quality Street you might have some "magic moments" on your new permission!

I'll see myself out........

Without tuning this into a debate on sweets:

Quality Street?! I'm looking to make friends here not get a kick in the face :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

Coilte also let forest's for rough shooting might be worth chatting to them they are a lot cheaper than you think

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭rambo87

Bottle of whiskey lads.
    Thats how we roll!

Remember even if you are in a gunclub, you still only shoot at the farmers permission...
    Keep them onside!!

rambo87 wrote: »
    Bottle of whiskey lads.
    Thats how we roll!

Remember even if you are in a gunclub, you still only shoot at the farmers permission...
    Keep them onside!!

I hear that Rambo. I've heard of lads in clubs just making the assumption that they're entitled to shoot all club lands without talking the the farmer in question. No better way to piss people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I hear that Rambo. I've heard of lads in clubs just making the assumption that they're entitled to shoot all club lands without talking the the farmer in question
    They are, you are in the club and the club has permission you dont need to personally ask the farmer
    No better way to piss people off.
    He ment a bottle for the farmer when you personally get permission

Advertisement