Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead space 1 or 2

Options
  • 05-12-2011 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Whats better Dead Space 1 or 2 for ps3?I am thinking of getting one of these for my brother for xmas for the ps3, he already has the wii version

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i would give 1, because when he will POOP HIS PANTS love it, he will be looking forward to second one.

thought they are bouth very cheap these days, get both if you really love him ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

In this case always start with the first. They are not stand alone games (canon-wise).

So............1. Then play two. Because both are great games.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

1, its a better game imo. the 2nd is much more action orientated, you go looking for things to kill instead of running like a girl from everything

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dead Space 2 kind of breaks my heart. Some fine moments, no doubt, but boy the game runs out of steam during the last third.

Here's a long corridor with a convenient ammo cache. I wonder when the Necromorphs will pop out in front of me.

Oh. There they are.

The Alien > Aliens comparison is just, but unfortunately not in an entirely positive way.

Dead Space 2 kind of breaks my heart. Some fine moments, no doubt, but boy the game runs out of steam during the last third.

Here's a long corridor with a convenient ammo cache. I wonder when the Necromorphs will pop out in front of me.

Oh. There they are.

The Alien > Aliens comparison is just, but unfortunately not in an entirely positive way.

it does have some cool setpieces, and those raptor like things are awesome enemies. the
    drop back into the atmosphere avoiding the debris sequence is brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The 'stealth' enemies were certainly terrifying first time around. But later in the game when they put them in rooms with other enemies they just grew annoying.

I must admit to not being a massive fan of the zero-g sections in DS2. They grew on me eventually, but I missed the more haunting, slow movement the lack of gravity provided in the first game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

First Dead space by a mile in a half

Game was sooo scary even my poo was ****ting in itself
    :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

1 was awesome but I had no expectations going into it, loved that everything was a discovery, the ship, the missing crew, the enemies, the whole story was really scary and tense.

2 missed out on all that discovery element and really had no choice but to make it bigger as they used up the scares in 1.

still a good game but 1 really is a classic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Another vote for the first game here, the atmosphere and tension in that game was awesome.
    Definitely a classic.

Two was a good game too, but as mentioned, we knew what to expect and they ran out of ideas towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

First one, hes lucky too cause the Wii shooter actually is the 1st story wise :)

So yeah I recommend playing them in this order:

Dead space extraction (wii) - Dead space downfall movie - Dead Space 1 - Dead space 2h o

I did it this way with a friend over the year or so whenever botf us were free for a night or two and it was epic. Dead Space 1 was the highlight, game was fantastic, 2 was also very good, but in a brilliant set piece way rather than atmosphere.

• Advertisement

didnt Dead Space kinda come out of nowhere? I bought it for half nothing a couple of months after its release, it pissed all over Resi 5 doing the same type of game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

krudler wrote: »
    didnt Dead Space kinda come out of nowhere? I bought it for half nothing a couple of months after its release, it pissed all over Resi 5 doing the same type of game

I don't remember there being a lot of buzz around it, yeah. The second they put everything in their power to get it out there. But the first was a nice little silent release which ended up being an amazing game. Spawned one dodgy anime (the second one, I thought the first was ok). The comic was decent too (same dude who did the art on 30 Days of Night comic did this one).

So.......+1 for the first one. Just for the sound alone (the feckers in the vents.......I won't spoil anything for you).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

although i think DS2 is the better game, I'd recommend playing DS1 first so you can see the evolution.

I compared and contrasted the two in my Dead Space 2 Review :
    Now, let's deal with the aspects of Dead Space 1 that have been improved upon :

Issac himself :
    Is a bit more limber, less clunky (stomping is much better now) and generally handles much lighter/better. He also has a lot more suits in this game (the majority being unlocked via dlc...)

Zero-G Areas :
    Adding thrusters to Issac's suit is a great addition, so he can fly, float and direct himself in Zero-G areas and in space. More emphysis has been placed on exploration rather than "hey there's necromorphs in Zero G too, change trousers". I enjoyed the more fluid nature of Zero-G this time around.

Atmosphere :

This game thrives on it. This is a game built on increasing dread and false shocks, and delivering on it, and it's terrifying. "Live" cut-scenes (non-interactive) are more numerous, and really add to the overall experience. This is a game you need to play by yourself, at night, with the surround sound cranked up. I found it actually annoying to play with other people in the room, talking. There's some quick time events too, and they're well integrated. Instead of (in DS1) getting on a tram and getting your "Chapter complete" with sigh-of-breath music, the next chapter just comes up as an innocuous subtitle, making the game feel much more cohesive (and not segmented). There are so many moments of "aw, sh*t." when you enter a new room, it's great.

Setting :
    Titan Station aka "The Sprawl" is a civilian colony on one of Saturn's moons. Going from a tight corridor shooter, it's now been opened out, with bigger areas, you can see outside (which is gorgeous); different areas (like a nursery) all give rise to widening the pallete of Dead Space. Despite that, I couldn't believe that this game is actually scarier than the first! (having already "met" the necromorphs of DS1!). There's some new colours but overall there's a lot of blacks and browns.

Weapons :

"Old faithful" Plasma Cutter is your first weapon, but there are 4-5 new weapons to combat your foes. I did like how I was more or less forced to stop playing with the Plasma Cutter and try out new guns. Old ones return but in general the new additions are very welcome and I preferred using them. Just FYI, if you have ANY save file for DS1 on your Xbox 360 HDD, you'll receive that gun for use in DS2. It's just for aesthetics, it works the same as the other Plasma Cutter.

New Monsters :
    This was a point of worry for me, as from GameTrailers' review, it looked like there weren't many new monsters -- which was a problem come 3/4 through the 1st game (where they just had the same monsters that could take more damage). Luckily, they introduce a good lot of new monsters, staggered throughout the game, and gradually re-introducing old monsters as the game progresses. Even towards the end of the game they're still introducing new monsters. So no problems here.

Boss Battles :
    They are more numerous but not given as much weight/gravity this time. We still have the choke-points/bottle necks where they lock the doors and they don't open again until you kill everyone.

Set Pieces :
    There are some really fantastic moments in the game, but I won't mention them. Suffice to say that there's a good few of inspired genius and it's really worth playing.

Basically imo DS2 is better in every way (although it is more action/less claustrophic than the first) but go for DS1 first. and both if you love your bro!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I found Dead Space 1 to be a much better game. It's much more of a survival horror then the action oriented 2nd to be fair though. Just had a much better atmosphere, and had some really creepy bits. Loved the zero-g/space area's too. Hearing nothing but your own breath was damn creepy.

Also, the intro when you approach the Ishimura was amazing to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Ok Dead space 1 it is then, is this easy to get in the shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

DS1 deffo!!!

Loved that game, got DS2 before I finished DS1 and, it feels, different, not sure if its because I started it pretty much right after DS1 but only played a bit and haven't gone back to it in months.

EDIT: really easy to get a 2nd hand copy, for like €10 to €15 depending where you get it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Get DS1.
    Put in PS3 at night
    Turn on surround sound
    Make sure house is empty.
    Leave brother at PS3 with a big pile of nappies.
    Waiting for the screaming.......:D

whiterebel wrote: »
    Get DS1.
    Put in PS3 at night
    Turn on surround sound
    Make sure house is empty.
    Leave brother at PS3 with a big pile of nappies.
    Waiting for the screaming.......:D

put game in the freezer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

krudler wrote: »
    put game in the freezer :pac:

Alongside Cujo and Little Women?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Get both if possible. Quite different games from an atmospheric point of view. DS1 is much more claustrophobic where DS2 is more open. I think DS2 has more 'wow' moments but DS1 definitely disturbed me more emotionally. As the others have pointed out it's best to play 1 and then 2 for the story's sake. Either way you can't go wrong. Turn up the volume and away you go!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Picked up DS 1 today pre owned in gamestop today for 7.99 am i a cheapskate or what:D

Advertisement