Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom Broadband

Options
  • 05-12-2011 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone here can give me some direction with this problem...

I recently signed up to Eircom. The girl with whom I signed up was really pleasant and helpful and I had a good conversation with her and she answered all my questions clearly.

While speaking to her I was looking at the Eircom Broadband packages online and I questioned her on the package I was interested in buying. On the package it said that for the 39.99 (for 6 months) the customer would get 'up to 8mb' broadband plus 10gb allowance and evening and weekend calls.

Underneath this it mentioned the 1mb service. Concerned about this, I asked her what it meant and she explained that this was only relevant if I wasn't in an NGB area as this was the speed available to customers outside of NGB.

She checked my area for NGB and informed me that I was in an NGB area and that I would be able to get the 'up to 8mb' service rather than the 1mb only service.

Just to be certain, she checked the line of my nextdoor neighbour and sure enough it showed that he was getting circa 4mb.

At no stage did she suggest there would be any doubt as to which service I would be in a position to receive.

Satisfied with that I agree to join Eircom and the service agent arranged to have my line connected. When this was done I'd be in a position to ring back or go online to choose a broadband package. And sure enough, last week I encountered an Eircom guy outside my house working on the cabling etc.

Then on Friday last I received a text to say my service was active so I called Eircom to order broadband.

At some point during my conversation with the sales agent the question of line speed came up and she informed me that I'd only be receiving 1mb maximum. I told her about my conversation with the previous agent and that I'd been assured that I'd receive the 'up to 8mb' NGB service and not the 1mb only service. She too checked my neighbour's line and found that it was receiving 4mb but informed me that I couldn't.

I told her that this wasn't good enough for me - I have a mobile dongle that, while inconsistent, offers me more than 1mb most of the time and that the only reason I was connecting to Eircom broadband was for faster speeds. The agent told me that there was no way of knowing until the line was connected what speed I could get.

If I'd been told that there was any doubt whatsoever and that I was signing up to a broadband-lucky-dip I wouldn't have done it

She told me that she was sorry that the other agent had misinformed me but that there was nothing that she could do.

I, obviously failed to see the funny side feeling that I'd been duped into buying something that Eircom couldn't provide. She told me that I was stuck on a 12 month contract and that if I wanted to break it it would cost me something like €18 a month for 12 months. I don't have the money for this and neither, in the current climate, do I have the money to waste on an Eircom connection that'd be of no use to me.

In the end up she agreed to have her manager check my phone call with the original agent to see if I was right or wrong about my claim that she had assured me that I'd get the 'up to 8mb' service and NOT the 1mb only service.

She said I'd get a call on Monday about it - guess what? No call.

I'm really annoyed about this - anyone have any insight/help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Wondering if anyone here can give me some direction with this problem...

I recently signed up to Eircom. The girl with whom I signed up was really pleasant and helpful and I had a good conversation with her and she answered all my questions clearly.

While speaking to her I was looking at the Eircom Broadband packages online and I questioned her on the package I was interested in buying. On the package it said that for the 39.99 (for 6 months) the customer would get 'up to 8mb' broadband plus 10gb allowance and evening and weekend calls.

Underneath this it mentioned the 1mb service. Concerned about this, I asked her what it meant and she explained that this was only relevant if I wasn't in an NGB area as this was the speed available to customers outside of NGB.

She checked my area for NGB and informed me that I was in an NGB area and that I would be able to get the 'up to 8mb' service rather than the 1mb only service.

Just to be certain, she checked the line of my nextdoor neighbour and sure enough it showed that he was getting circa 4mb.

At no stage did she suggest there would be any doubt as to which service I would be in a position to receive.

Satisfied with that I agree to join Eircom and the service agent arranged to have my line connected. When this was done I'd be in a position to ring back or go online to choose a broadband package. And sure enough, last week I encountered an Eircom guy outside my house working on the cabling etc.

Then on Friday last I received a text to say my service was active so I called Eircom to order broadband.

At some point during my conversation with the sales agent the question of line speed came up and she informed me that I'd only be receiving 1mb maximum. I told her about my conversation with the previous agent and that I'd been assured that I'd receive the 'up to 8mb' NGB service and not the 1mb only service. She too checked my neighbour's line and found that it was receiving 4mb but informed me that I couldn't.

I told her that this wasn't good enough for me - I have a mobile dongle that, while inconsistent, offers me more than 1mb most of the time and that the only reason I was connecting to Eircom broadband was for faster speeds. The agent told me that there was no way of knowing until the line was connected what speed I could get.

If I'd been told that there was any doubt whatsoever and that I was signing up to a broadband-lucky-dip I wouldn't have done it

She told me that she was sorry that the other agent had misinformed me but that there was nothing that she could do.

I, obviously failed to see the funny side feeling that I'd been duped into buying something that Eircom couldn't provide. She told me that I was stuck on a 12 month contract and that if I wanted to break it it would cost me something like €18 a month for 12 months. I don't have the money for this and neither, in the current climate, do I have the money to waste on an Eircom connection that'd be of no use to me.

In the end up she agreed to have her manager check my phone call with the original agent to see if I was right or wrong about my claim that she had assured me that I'd get the 'up to 8mb' service and NOT the 1mb only service.

She said I'd get a call on Monday about it - guess what? No call.

I'm really annoyed about this - anyone have any insight/help?

Hi the heathen,

If you PM me with your telephone number I can look into the broadband capacity on the line.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 46 soloeffort79

Today, almsot the exact same problem. Before i ordered the new eircom line the eircom agent checked my neighbours either side of me and both of them can get BB. I then proceeded to get the line installed based on this as I would also be on the same line and now once the line installed, BB is not available for me! How is this pissible?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Today, almsot the exact same problem. Before i ordered the new eircom line the eircom agent checked my neighbours either side of me and both of them can get BB. I then proceeded to get the line installed based on this as I would also be on the same line and now once the line installed, BB is not available for me! How is this pissible?
    Mine was sorted out in the end. Hope you have the same luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi soloeffort79,

Can you PM me with your telephone number or account number and I will look into the broadband availability issue.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement