Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does it mean when your 4th year only counts toward your degree?

Options
  • 05-12-2011 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I dont understand, i'm a 3rd year with a GPA of 4.0 so does this mean that this becomes irrelevant and i start at 0 next year?........thats so wrong!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Looks like you answered your own question there bud. :)
    But yes, it is the case.

The only time I can think of your 2nd/3rd year GPA being relevant is if you're in Science, and you get a GPA at the end of 3rd year that is less than 2.48 (less than a 2:2). If that is the case, you get kicked out of UCD and given a BSc in General Science, as opposed to a BSc (Hons) that you would if you did final year.
    If that's the case, and your do leave UCD with a Level 7 Bachelors, then what class of degree you get is based on a combination on your 2nd and 3rd year results.

There's also rumours that 3rd & 4th year grades are looked at when applying for a PhD, but not 2nd year.

And also, again in Science, your GPA at the end of 3rd year might determine if you get your choice or not in 4th year projects with a member of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

The only time I can think of your 2nd/3rd year GPA being relevant is if you're in Science, and you get a GPA at the end of 3rd year that is less than 2.48 (less than a 2:2). If that is the case, you get kicked out of UCD and given a BSc in General Science, as opposed to a BSc (Hons) that you would if you did final year.

2nd/3rd year GPAs are important in many courses. In Arts or Ag for example the final 2 years count towards your overall degree.

But yep, OP, if your degree is judged on 4th year then this year's GPA won't count towards your degree. Will set you up nicely to do well next year, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭pseudo_23

so if i get all C's next year then i get a crap GPA and my first class honors is out the window. Its in veterinary FTR, oh well, thx guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

WeeBushy wrote: »
    2nd/3rd year GPAs are important in many courses. In Arts or Ag for example the final 2 years count towards your overall degree.

But yep, OP, if your degree is judged on 4th year then this year's GPA won't count towards your degree. Will set you up nicely to do well next year, though.

Oh yeah, I knew that, I was just referring to what the OP had already said, that his/her degree was based on 4th only, so I knew he/she wasn't in Arts/Ag, so I didn't include 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

My lvl8 engineering degree judged whether we could enter the 4th year on our 3rd year GPA, but we started fresh in 4th year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

pseudo_23 wrote: »
    so if i get all C's next year then i get a crap GPA and my first class honors is out the window. Its in veterinary FTR, oh well, thx guys!

Yup, that's right.
    Oh yeah, I knew that, I was just referring to what the OP had already said, that his/her degree was based on 4th only, so I knew he/she wasn't in Arts/Ag, so I didn't include 'em.

Ah right, my bad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

And I was wondering why so many Firsties were partying so hard .. guess I have my answer now. It's a bit unfair to put so much pressure on final year though. It makes absolutely no sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I have a 40-60 split between my 2nd and final year, fairly unusual-don't know any other course with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

30-70 in Commerce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

AdamD wrote: »
    30-70 in Commerce

Same in engineering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement