Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gaming Rig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If you're spending that kind of money I'd go with a better case. A Fractal Design Define R3 or XL, or one of the Corsair Obsidian series. The improved air flow and design will pay you back when you're overclocking later.

This cooler is better than the H70: http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=31818&agid=669

Quieter and I believe a better cooling performance. Though I can understand the attraction of the H series, I looked long and hard at them myself before going for the Noctua cooler. You'll also want Thermal Paste for attaching the cooler. Arctic Silver is a good brand: http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=1058&agid=1347

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

nesf wrote: »
    If you're spending that kind of money I'd go with a better case. A Fractal Design Define R3 or XL, or one of the Corsair Obsidian series. The improved air flow and design will pay you back when you're overclocking later.

This cooler is better than the H70: http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=31818&agid=669

Quieter and I believe a better cooling performance. Though I can understand the attraction of the H series, I looked long and hard at them myself before going for the Noctua cooler. You'll also want Thermal Paste for attaching the cooler. Arctic Silver is a good brand.

Recommending that noctua cooler over the corsair ones everyone seems to buy....MAN AFTER ME OWN HEART!

Also, Op, if you've 1500 to spend, bite the bullet and buy a 6970 or 570, good step up and they'll max anything at your res.
    That cooler comes with a tube of noctua brand paste, it's good stuff, better than the stuff you'd buy for a few quid, they dont cut corners!

Recommending that noctua cooler over the corsair ones everyone seems to buy....MAN AFTER ME OWN HEART!

That cooler comes with a tube of noctua brand paste, it's good stuff, better than the stuff you'd buy for a few quid, they dont cut corners!

The Corsair ones look really cool but after reading some reviews and watching a few Youtube reviews of the Noctua even some watercooling nuts were raving about how good the cooling performance is on the Noctua and I've read a lot of complaints about noise in the H series etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

The Corsair ones look really cool but after reading some reviews and watching a few Youtube reviews of the Noctua even some watercooling nuts were raving about how good the cooling performance is on the Noctua and I've read a lot of complaints about noise in the H series etc.

Yeah I ordered one for my build the other day, it really is the piece de resistance, the company really seems to know what they're doing, and give a ****! The fans on it are amazing, great cooling and near silent, I'd love to replace all my case fans with their 120mm ones but they're 20 quid a pop! You get what you pay for I guess :P

Yeah I ordered one for my build the other day, it really is the piece de resistance, the company really seems to know what they're doing, and give a ****! The fans on it are amazing, great cooling and near silent, I'd love to replace all my case fans with their 120mm ones but they're 20 quid a pop! You get what you pay for I guess :P

Yeah and there's far less that can go wrong with them. They're basically just a big lump of metal with two fans attached that you can replace easily. The H series has a pump and coolant to worry about on top of the fan. Fans are easy to replace, coolant in a factory sealed system or the pump going means needing a new cooler.

The simple approach with a reduced chance of failing is by far the preferred method. That it cools better is just icing on the cake really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Also, Op, if you've 1500 to spend, bite the bullet and buy a 6970 or 570, good step up and they'll max anything at your res.

it wont max out BF3 :D

sli 570 maybe..... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Neil2012

Is there enough in my budget for a extra card for sli ?

Neil2012 wrote: »

I would not bother with it yet. I Biult few days ago similar system to yours with 570 card.

I play bf3 all ultra, but motion blur turned off and AA droped to x4 filtering to x2 or x4 too.

Anything else out there - maxed out. I don't eve have it over locked yet as I don't see an red in it. ( I can thought as I got lots of fans and h70 cooler )

Get a XFire/SLI board and stick with either a 6970 or 580 if you want the extra performance although to be honest a 6950 is perfectly good enough for 1080p gaming at the moment.

Get a XFire/SLI board and stick with either a 6970 or 580 if you want the extra performance although to be honest a 6950 is perfectly good enough for 1080p gaming at the moment.

Yup. I think that mobo is already sli/Cs ready. So it's better getting something like 6950/6970/570, so it's cheaper to buy second down the line in near future, then buying full high end now for stupid money.

• Advertisement

Many thanks for your advice so far guys, I have taken on board what has been suggested and have made a new list below, as already pointed out I could drop another 6950 later on when funds permit.
    Be delighted to hear your thoughts on the new list.

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €1,421.40 + €30 shipping
    Corsair Obsidian Series 650D, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€144.83
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W|€68.22
    ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€161.15
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€189.99
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile blau PC3-12800U CL9|€33.79
    Noctua NH-D14, Sockel AM2/AM2+/AM3/775/1366/1155/1156|€67.99
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€174.29
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€15.58
    Ultron Cardreader 75-in-1, intern, schwarz|€8.55
    NZXT SENTRY LX - Multipanel|€50.99
    3 x Good Connections® SATA 6Gb/s Anschlusskabel mit Metallclip, 1m|€1.19
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€84.74
    MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC, 2GB, PCI-Express|€254.52
    Samsung SyncMaster S24A300BL|€163.19

Get yourself a 1GB 6950. You don't need the 2GBs at 24". You might as well save yourself €30-50.

Get yourself a 1GB 6950. You don't need the 2GBs at 24". You might as well save yourself €30-50.

Agree, drop to 1gb and saved money invest in 750w psu, so you would have more leg room for your crossfire setup in future.

So this would do ? http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43704&agid=1004

I thought I would have had better quality graphics with the card I picked.

So this would do ? http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43704&agid=1004

I thought I would have had better quality graphics with the card I picked.

After 1gb it only matter what resolution you will be playing on. If you go 1080p then stick to 1gb and upgrade psu.

Very very good idea on modular psu. That's one mistake I did. Took non modular psu... Now I am kicking myself for it. Looks good bud.

That's grand, thanks a million for all your help, I'm going to build it myself, there's loads of help on YouTube and forums around but it's the help you get here on boards.ie with you lads on here that counts, let you know in the new year how I get on.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

That's grand, thanks a million for all your help, I'm going to build it myself, there's loads of help on YouTube and forums around but it's the help you get here on boards.ie with you lads on here that counts, let you know in the new year how I get on.

Neil.

There's a thread also of people offering to help build PC's for people (for free obviously!).

So if you need a hand, there should be someone around that can help :)

TBH its not all that difficult these days, no jumper switching, i/o cards and crappy cases to deal with these days, it pretty much plug & play :)

There's a thread also of people offering to help build PC's for people (for free obviously!).

So if you need a hand, there should be someone around that can help :)

TBH its not all that difficult these days, no jumper switching, i/o cards and crappy cases to deal with these days, it pretty much plug & play :)

I swapped a graphics card many years ago in my old meridian pc, that's all the experience I have. There is a excellent 3 part series on YouTube by newegg.com on how to build a pc a looks simple enough to do.

• Advertisement

thats what i used few days ago m8. very short, easy and accurate video, but it does not explain much about fron panel connection. just look in to your mobo book to find which pin for which item.

satisfaction of building it yourself is priceless bud. ;)

This is the video I was looking at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

Part one is about the parts to use and part 3 guides you through the install of software (windows7, drivers)

As you say there's nothing like the achievement of doing it yourself !

I swapped a graphics card many years ago in my old meridian pc, that's all the experience I have. There is a excellent 3 part series on YouTube by newegg.com on how to build a pc a looks simple enough to do.

It's grand really once you take your time, make sure you understand what you're doing and if in doubt check youtube or whatever for a guide.

It's grand really once you take your time, make sure you understand what you're doing and if in doubt check youtube or whatever for a guide.

I've already downloaded and studied the mobo manual, looks easy enough as you say there's plenty of help around. Thanks for everybody's advice on this build.
    The only thing really worrying me is static electricity, one video says its ok to place the mobo on the anti static bag another one says don't. To ground yourself use the case, somebody else says use a wrist wire to connect to a metal object, another says don't build with your feet on the carpet, what's your advice ?

i just touched some metal, then droped mobo on my wooden table and pew pew pew. dont worry to much about it.

I've already downloaded and studied the mobo manual, looks easy enough as you say there's plenty of help around. Thanks for everybody's advice on this build.
    The only thing really worrying me is static electricity, one video says its ok to place the mobo on the anti static bag another one says don't. To ground yourself use the case, somebody else says use a wrist wire to connect to a metal object, another says don't build with your feet on the carpet, what's your advice ?

I've never had a problem with grounding myself with the case in any of my builds. Wrist bands are overkill, but it's a peace of mind thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Don't put any components on the outside of the anti-static bag. You are much more likely to get static discharge from the outside of the bag than you are on a wooden table

Don't put any components on the outside of the anti-static bag. You are much more likely to get static discharge from the outside of the bag than you are on a wooden table

That's grand, so it would be ok to do the mobo external build on the box or on a wooden table ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Modern components are fairly rugged when it comes to static discharges.

I haven't used an anti-static strap for a desktop build since a 486 I'd say.

Once you haven't been rolling around on carpets all day long, you should be ok (but just touch a radiator or anything metal before handling the components with your hands, to be on the safe side).

• Advertisement

That's good about the static. I have done a bit of looking around and wanted to know if the 3D business is worth it. I've come up with a 3D build and would like to get your opinion on it. Would it be possible to watch sky 3d from this monitor with the hdmi connection ?

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €1,478.06 + €30 shipping
    Corsair Obsidian Series 650D, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€145.85
    Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX750M, 750Watt|€97.74
    ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3|€148.91
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€191.31
    Noctua NH-D14, Sockel AM2/AM2+/AM3/775/1366/1155/1156|€67.99
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance blau PC3-12800U CL9|€34.51
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 6950, 1024MB GDDR5, PCI-Express|€217.88
    LG CH10LS Blu-Ray ROM Bulk|€58.92
    Samsung SyncMaster S23A700D "3D" inkl. 3D-Brille|€249.00
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch|€84.94