Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cats and christmas trees

• 05-12-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Have my cat over a year but we were moving house just before christmas last year so never bothered with a tree.

Are there any trees that can with stand a cat! My cat weights around a stone and I'm guessing will either knock or damage a tree. But I really want to put one up.

I was thinking of getting a pop up one that they have for sale in Argos for around €40. Are they any good?

Any suggestions for cat friendly christmas decorations and tree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

We put up a small fake tree and every year it is knockked over. Also one of the guys likes to steal the decorations.
    No tinsel with cats, its lethal. Also if your cat is a nibbler be wary of lights! We learnt our lesson with these and now cover the wire with sheets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

Traonach wrote: »

This is exactly what i expect to happen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

My mom used to have a system of keeping her christmas tree up for the whole season and we had 2 very heavy, very inquisitive, very climbing inclined felines to contend with. Once she started using her system we never picked up a fallen tree or broken ornaments ever again!

She used to put the tree in the same corner of the living room every year so she just put 2 little nails into each wall of the corner then she'd put the tree up into that corner and once it was all ready to go and decorated and all that she'd run a length of kite string around the trunk of the tree and up to one of the nails in the wall - then another length around the trunk again and then that one over to the other wall. It always kept the tree up perfectly.

Kite string may not be as available here - so any type of really really thin (but yet strong) string would work. I gave this suggestion to someone and they tried it using dental floss but the tree was really small and it was only a kitten they were contending with so it worked for them - but a bigger tree and a bigger cat I have my doubts about it working that well. But basically any string about the same thickness as dental floss should work perfectly and because its so thin it pretty much disappears into the tree/branches/decorations.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2698582/Trail/searchtext%3ECHRISTMAS+TREE.htm

I opted for this tree. So far he hasn't been too interested in it. Took about 2min to put up also! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One of our cats has just decided that the layer of off-cut branches we had laid down around the bottom of our tree would make an ideal impromptu litter tray :( Luckily there was some newspaper underneath to soak up most of the offending liquid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

My mom used to have a system of keeping her christmas tree up for the whole season and we had 2 very heavy, very inquisitive, very climbing inclined felines to contend with. Once she started using her system we never picked up a fallen tree or broken ornaments ever again!

She used to put the tree in the same corner of the living room every year so she just put 2 little nails into each wall of the corner then she'd put the tree up into that corner and once it was all ready to go and decorated and all that she'd run a length of kite string around the trunk of the tree and up to one of the nails in the wall - then another length around the trunk again and then that one over to the other wall. It always kept the tree up perfectly.

Kite string may not be as available here - so any type of really really thin (but yet strong) string would work. I gave this suggestion to someone and they tried it using dental floss but the tree was really small and it was only a kitten they were contending with so it worked for them - but a bigger tree and a bigger cat I have my doubts about it working that well. But basically any string about the same thickness as dental floss should work perfectly and because its so thin it pretty much disappears into the tree/branches/decorations.

Fishing twine would probably be ideal for this. I have a very boisterous kitten and thought he would be climbing it but have it up since Friday and he hasn't passed any heed yet, fingers crossed. I did put some citrus oil all around the base but not sure if this deterred him or he is just waiting for the perfect opportunity when nobody home to launch his attack. Will keep the string tip at the ready in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I get a real tree every year, I got a stand last year in woodies i think, its round and slopes in towards the top, there's a large reservoir inside and 3 studs that the tree sits on, then there are 3 clamps you tighten to hold the tree in place.
    Its pretty good, my daughter fell on the tree while decorating it and didn't knock it, she's 13 and taller than me, so it should withstand a cat. Mine don't climb anymore, but one loves the pounce on the twinkly lights or knock the odd bauble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We were given a tree at the market last weekend so we have these joys to come.. No idea what the reaction of these two cats will be...I have vivid memories of my Siamese breeding days when a cat would appear at the top of the tree.... But as we gave all our decorations away years ago, this one will be dressed with craft ribbon bows etc so that is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I have a very mischievious maine coon but apart from batting a tin santy hanging off one of the lower branches he won't touch the tree.
    I have a water spray bottle on the table just in case and only need to point it at him before he darts away into his basket :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Sundew wrote: »
    I have a very mischievious maine coon but apart from batting a tin santy hanging off one of the lower branches he won't touch the tree.
    I have a water spray bottle on the table just in case and only need to point it at him before he darts away into his basket :D

Lucky you Sundew, I would love a Maine Coon. I have a moggy I'm devoted to though, could never bring another cat into the house while he's here.

And he's MAD about the Christmas tree, every day I come home there's more baubles on the ground that he's clearly spent the day chasing around. And he's nibbled on the lights a bit, but not much thankfully!

I also put the tree up against one of his favourite mirrors, which has been a disaster. Not sure what your cats are like, but mine loves spraying on shiny stuff.

Dirty fecker...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭eg6 vtec

we have 2 cats and they love the tree, it's only the 2nd time they have seen it and wont leave it alone, one of them (bam bam) sleeps in the lower branches this is him making his bed lol

76337_10150094722775520_632995519_7610140_1467224_n.jpg

i dont mind them at it as they just mess around with the ornaments get bored and then go asleep for a while then wake up and start the process all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

We keep a couple of the decorations from the tree spare and if she goes near the tree we roll one of the spare baubles away from tree and she totally forgets about it. She is much better this year than last year. Tree is up a week and a half and have only had to distract her twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Poochie05

My cat used to climb up the middle of the tree and perch in among the branches at head height so he could watch us pass by.
    It would frighten the life out of us as the tree would start shaking as we walked past! :)
    Even though he died over 2 years ago I still find clumps of his fur in the branches! His sister who is still with us doesn't have any interest in it at all.

Advertisement