Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€100 In-ear earphones?

• 05-12-2011 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I need a new set of earphones. I have €100+/- to spend. I'll be using them with my iPod indoors and outdoors.

Do any of you know a good sound quality pair? Is there any obvious candidates out there?

Thanks,
    Walrus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'm open to correction here, but I think the sound chip in the ipod will be a problem quality-wise before the earphones would reach the €100 mark.

I'd have a look at meelectronics and soundmagic, both relatively unheard of companies in shops here but getting a good reputation for great value for money earphones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

TPD wrote: »
    I'm open to correction here, but I think the sound chip in the ipod will be a problem quality-wise before the earphones would reach the €100 mark.

You saying it's pointless spending €100 if used on an iPod?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

You saying it's pointless spending €100 if used on an iPod?

I *think* that was the general consensus I've picked up somewhere. But that is considering how much further €100 will get you online internationally than it would in a trip to HMV or somewhere similar.

But again, open to correction, I may have read a worse impression of ipod sound quality than is accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Completely off topic

The "problem" with the ipod you're talking about is the headphone jack out isn't as good as the line out dock, I'm not sure exactly whether the sound is compressed or impeded. There are several ways of using the ipod's line out dock rather than the headphone jack. I use the headphone out jack and have €100+ IEMs and although it's not as perfect possible it's the most convenient.

When considering what to buy, try looking at every link in the chain:
    • headphones/earphones/iems
    • amp (if you have one)
    • source (ipod, sansa fuze, etc.)
    • music bitrate (128/320/lossless, etc.)
    As for the op's question you don't mention what music you normally listen to, some earphones or in ear monitors (IEMs) sound best with certain genres.

This is a very big article but it covers a lot of makes and models:
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-207-iems-compared-fischer-audio-ceramique-sba-03-added-12-05-11

Unfortunately it doesn't have any of the models you've posted above at the moment (2 are planned).

Another one not on there is the Brainwavz b2 which is very similar to the Fischer Audio DBA-02 which I own and love. It's currently ~ €100 from here

If you mention what genres you like you'd give us a better idea of what might suit your needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The story about the iPod headphone jack relates to models made many years ago. The problem was a roll-off in frequency response affecting low frequencies (bass) If one used reasonably high impedance headphones with those iPods, there wasn't a problem.

More recent iPods don't suffer from this.

The sound quality out of an iPod is comparable to that from a very good CD player, so it is certianly worth getting earphones of the highest quality to use with one.

I would give the Phonaks a go. I have read very good things about their sound and construction qualities.

yimrsg wrote: »
    Completely off topic

The "problem" with the ipod you're talking about is the headphone jack out isn't as good as the line out dock, I'm not sure exactly whether the sound is compressed or impeded. There are several ways of using the ipod's line out dock rather than the headphone jack. I use the headphone out jack and have €100+ IEMs and although it's not as perfect possible it's the most convenient.

When considering what to buy, try looking at every link in the chain:
    • headphones/earphones/iems
    • amp (if you have one)
    • source (ipod, sansa fuze, etc.)
    • music bitrate (128/320/lossless, etc.)
    As for the op's question you don't mention what music you normally listen to, some earphones or in ear monitors (IEMs) sound best with certain genres.

This is a very big article but it covers a lot of makes and models:
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-207-iems-compared-fischer-audio-ceramique-sba-03-added-12-05-11

Unfortunately it doesn't have any of the models you've posted above at the moment (2 are planned).

Another one not on there is the Brainwavz b2 which is very similar to the Fischer Audio DBA-02 which I own and love. It's currently ~ €100 from here

If you mention what genres you like you'd give us a better idea of what might suit your needs.

I listen to rock, alternative and electronic music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

This is purely from my reading up on them so take it with a pinch of scepticism.

Vsonic gr07
    + good sound for many genres, adjustable armature, looks very solid build wise.
    - needs burn in so it won't sound great out of the box, costs over your budget at €120

Brainwavz b2 (nearly identical to fischer audio dba-02 which I love so most of what I say applies to them both)
    + balanced sound, best sound is gotten using triple flange tips and a good seal, very good value for €100 At that price it's better value than the DBA-02.
    - accessories aren't the best so you may need to budget for extra tips/cleaning kit down the line. Not bullet proof build. No triple flanges included.

Soundmagic pl50
    + mid centred so it will be orientated to your particular genres, cheaper than the above too but still well built. Many suppliers so you have choice of payments.
    - might be lacking for bass so maybe budget in a cheap amp such as an e5 or e6.

Ficher Audio Eterna
    + bass orientated sound, solid build, competitive price.
    - difficult to source as Fischer release new models so often and don't have many suppliers. This is only place I could find that might be reliable.
    GD-audiobase has meant to become unreliable so if buying from an unfamiliar website make sure you do some research on it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

FiiO sell cheap line-out docks on DealExtreme, as well as the excellently-reviewed E6 headphone amplifier.

Any of you know where in Dublin to get the Phonaks ones? Peats don't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement