Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind coming through air vent.

• 05-12-2011 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a gas fire in the living room which I rarely use. There is an air vent on the wall and sometimes (especially today!) the draft coming in is pretty bad. The room is pretty cold now. What can be done? I know I need to keep the air vent for the fire but is there anything I can do to keep the wind from gusting through the house?

Thanks,
    Gumby.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Try to google Baffled wall vents, you still get the air movement that complies with the regs but with a lot less draught.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved to DIY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Turn the internal vent cover upside down. It will direct the draft up to the ceiling and not the floor.

Never baffle or block any air vents.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Turn the internal vent cover upside down. It will direct the draft up to the ceiling and not the floor.

Never baffle or block any air vents.

Ventilators designed to reduce draught and muffle outside noises to the maximum. Daylight does not show through them. Simple three part assembly (cowls, liner, and internal louvre). Designed to be fitted with screws or mastic. All Draughtbusters meet BS 5440 : Part 2 : 2000, BS 493 and BS 5871 : Part 3 requirements. DB5

7686.gifFits through a circular (127 mm) hole. Equivalent free area of 75 cm². Through wall length: 300 mm to 380 mm (12" to 15") telescopic. For appliances up to 22 kW Net, (24 kW Gross

Baffled vents are designed to be used with gas appliances hence the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

DoneDL wrote: »
    Ventilators designed to reduce draught and muffle outside noises to the maximum. Daylight does not show through them. Simple three part assembly (cowls, liner, and internal louvre). Designed to be fitted with screws or mastic. All Draughtbusters meet BS 5440 : Part 2 : 2000, BS 493 and BS 5871 : Part 3 requirements. DB5

7686.gifFits through a circular (127 mm) hole. Equivalent free area of 75 cm². Through wall length: 300 mm to 380 mm (12" to 15") telescopic. For appliances up to 22 kW Net, (24 kW Gross

Baffled vents are designed to be used with gas appliances hence the advice

Have you used one of these DoneDL? Interested in hearing if they work or not. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Yes they work, it would be a very common vent in the UK with gas fires or gas fired back boiler units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I have the standard wall vents with the 4inch wavin going through the cavity...The Baffle vents, do you have to use the 4/5inch tubing that comes with it or can I use whats already there? Any place in Dublin I can get these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

DoneDL wrote: »
    Yes they work, it would be a very common vent in the UK with gas fires or gas fired back boiler units.

Good stuff. I interested in them more for the noise reduction than anything else. The vent in the bedroom means you can hear everything outside. Quite annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭jamesd

Advertisement