Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MNSCI & NRAI X-mas F-Class shoot.

• 05-12-2011 10:16pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=11378M.N.S.C.I. & N.R.A.I. picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=11379
    F-Class Christmas shoot
    This Sunday - 11th/December/2011

The Midlands National Shooting Centre in conjunction with the National Rifle Association of Ireland are holding their annual Christmas Benchrest shoot this coming Sunday, the 11th December 2011.

The shoot will be divided into two categories.
    • F-Class for squad members, and NRAI members to be held in the morning.
    • F-Class for non squad members straight after (early afternoon).
    For NRAI, and squad members.(MNSCI/NRAI members only)

The format is simple enough. Registration is between 9:30am - 10:30am. The first shoot will be at 11am. All zero cards to be presented to RO prior to firing. This will be for NRAI members, and F-Class squad members only. The competition will be shot at 1,000 yards only, and will consist of 2 groups of 5 shots. The smallest group will win.
    The squad members will be spilt into their respective classes with F-open shooting the first detail, and FTR shooting the second detail.

For novice and non NRAI shooters. (Open to all)

The MNSCI felt this would be the ideal opportunity to introduce those interested in F-Class to long range shooting. The format is also simple enough. Competitors turn up between 10am - 12pm. They register in the club house, produce their license, and declare the caliber they will be using.
    They will be brought down to the 25mtr zero range, and brought through the process, with personal tuition from F-Class squad members. They will then be brought out to the 500 yard windmill range. They will have an unlimited number of sighters for both practise, and familiarisation purposes. Once all competitors are ready they will then fire 2 groups of 5 shots. Again the smallest group will win. Its important to note that as a benchrest competition the emphasis is on group size, not score. So a lad with 5 inch group in/around the 1 ring will beat a lad with a 6 inch group in/around the 4 ring.
    Summary and details.
    This is a benchrest competition so as the name suggests all shots will be fired from a bench. In this you may have a front rest and rear sand bag. You will need a rifle of centrefire caliber with at least 10-12 minutes (40 -48 clicks) of vertical adjustment to reach the 500 yard mark. I have listed the items required to partake below.
    The fee is €10 per person for whichever shoot you choose to enter. Re-entry may be possible depending on weather conditions, attendance, demand.

Also it is important to note that NO F-CLASS SQUAD MEMBERS will be allowed to enter the 500 yards "novice" shoot. This will encourage new shooters to compete, and ensure a level playing field for all competitors.
    The items needed are;
    • Centrefire rifle.
    • Front rest (or a bipod as an alternative)
    • Rear sand bag.
    • 10 competition rounds and as many sighters as you wish (possibly 10).
    • 10 - 12 minutes/40 - 48 clicks (on 0.25 click valu scopes) of vertical adjustment on your scope - minimum.
    • Spotting scope.
    • Ear defenders.
    • Firearms License
    • Insurance details/card.
    Any persons wishing to enter the novice shoot are encouraged to attend early, if they wish, and observe the NRAI shoot, and go the butts. This will be a good forerunner to the planned F-Class novice day coming in the early new year. The basics, and principles of F-Class shooting are the same in benchrest as are the safety procedures you will have to go through, including learning how to work in the butts, and do the scoring.

.22 Benchrest shoot.

There is also a .22lr Benchrest competition that will be ran simultaneously with the centrefire competition. It will be on the 50 mtr ranges, and is OPEN TO ALL. Same conditions as with the F-Class. License, insurance to be shown. Registration will be between 10am and 11:30 am. First detail will be run at 12pm with re-entry possible depending on attendance, and availability. Entry fee is €10.

This is a fun shoot so there will be no classifications for rifles. Simply turn up and shoot. Items you will need are;
    • .22 lr rifle.
    • Front rest / bipod
    • Rear sand bag
    • Approx 50 rounds of ammo. More if you like for sighters/practise.
    • Any power scope
    • Firearms License
    • Insurance card/details

Thanks for looking, and hope to see you all there this weekend.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just added a .22lr benchrest shoot to the day . :):cool:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Hi Ezri
    Sounds like a great day for shootin:D
    Just wondered if there will be any restrictions on the firearms used.
    Caliber,weight,muzzlebrake etc will this be taken into consideration,or is just an open tryout shoot.

Thanks

NW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Hi Ezri
    Sounds like a great day for shootin:D
    Caliber,weight,muzzlebrake etc will this be taken into consideration,or is just an open tryout shoot.

Thanks

NW

Short notice..

I am away from home this week and I will have to beg the boss for a free pass for this one.

One question. If we as a novice take part in this will we still be considered a novice for the next shoot after Christmas. When do you stop being a novice.

Just to be sure is this open to non members of the range.

Caliber,weight,muzzlebrake etc will this be taken into consideration,or is just an open tryout shoot

The shoot is designed to give a subtle introduction to a variant of F-Class shooting. There is a novice day planned for early next year, and as with that day all rules of F-Class will be applied. So these are:

F-Open
    • Any caliber up to 8mm. Centrefire only obviously.
    • Front rest.
    • Rear bag
    • Any scope
    • Maximum of 22lbs.
    FTR
    • .223 and .308 cal only.
    • Bipod
    • Rear bag
    • Any scope
    • Maximum of 18.18lbs.
    Items not allowed are;
    • Muzzle breaks
    • Moderators
    There are more, but none that we concern ourselves with for now. So in keeping with the rules, and in the spirit of starting on the right foot we will be adhereing to all the rules as is humanly possible.

Obviously we will make allowances when absolutely necessary as its everyone's first time, but as mod or muzzle break aids in managing recoil, and maintaining your target they are not allowed. IOW an unfair advantage. So for the purpose of this comp they will not be used.

I know thats long winded, but it should cover most other FAQs.

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    Short notice..

I am away from home this week and I will have to beg the boss for a free pass for this one.

I apologise for the short notice, but after dicussing it with JP, it was decided that as the novice day is a little away still that this would be an ideal opportunity to gather those that are interested, and can make it, to give them an "easy" introduction to long range target shooting, and all the F-Class squad will be there so we might aswell take advantage of it.

It was initially an MNSCI/NRAI event, but when it was decided that a novice day could be ran after it was added "last minute". As there is a great deal of interest in the novice day we thought this might give everyone a taste without all the planning the novice day will entail.
    One question. If we as a novice take part in this will we still be considered a novice for the next shoot after Christmas. When do you stop being a novice.
    When you buy a dedicated F-Class rig, and start making excuses why you missed the v-bull.:D

You will still be considered a novice for the upcoming day. No problems there. Hell i'm shooting a few years and still feel like a novive some days.
    Just to be sure is this open to non members of the range.
    Yes, absolutely. Any person, any rifle (C/F).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Galway Elvis

When do you stop being a novice?
    When you buy a dedicated F-Class rig, and start making excuses why you missed the v-bull.

There are a lot of us up there so that just need to buy a rig. I have received endless world class coaching since I joined on how to perfect the excuse :D

Work Christmas party on Saturday night..... falling over and hitting the ground might possibly be the only target I could hit on Sunday.

I know the notice is short, but rest assured this will not be cancelled. If three turn up they are guaranteed to take 1st, 2nd and 3rd. :D

The NRAI (1,000 yard) will be shot in the morning so all the lads are there. Thats why it will not be cancelled. We are already there so no-one will be put out having to drive down to help out as they're already there.:D

Plus we're locking the gates so they can't run when they're finished.

There is no pressure here lads. If ya can make it by all means drop down. Its not kicking off till 12:30. Its only the muggins (myself included) that get landed with the early morning shooting.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

AAAHHHH BUGGER!!!!

would love to go , but I'm playing Santa for 100 - 150 kids on Sunday, seems I've the perfect shape , would love to see what the AI would be like off a bench at that range.

Fish

......... but I'm playing Santa for 100 - 150 kids on Sunday,......

Show em this;

santa-crying.jpg

And come on to the shoot.:D:o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

... ha ha ha ... I'd love to ... but...

• Advertisement

I know, i know. :o

I'm going to hell for that one.

Just to clarify for those attending the novice shoot. I've gotten some PMs from people wondering if they have enough adjustment. You need at least 10-12 MOA . Most will work with less but i've put this number on it as its easy to come down to this amount, but if its needed and you don't have it then you may have trouble reaching the distances.

Most FTR rigs can make the 500 mark with 7.5 MOA. However thats a 30" barrel, and target ammo doing 2950+fps. So allowing for a slower round, and shorter barrel you could add between 2.5 - 4.5 MOa depending on caliber.

Also with regards to the actual adjustments.
    • For those whose scope comes with one quarter click value adjustments you need 10-12 minutes or 40-48 clicks.
    • For those with one eighth click value scopes you need 10-12 minutes or 80-96 clicks.
    • For those few that may have Mil-Rad scopes (i think) you need approx 3 -4 minutes of adjustment. I'm not sure how the click value on a Mil-Rad scope goes so mintues is easier to adjust for.
    Anyone any other questions please feel free to ask or PM me.

Just reminding everyone. Two days till the shoot.

All over. Good day shooting wise in less than ideal conditions. So good infact that two new national records were set in both FTR and F-Open.

Wind was a factor but didn't catch anyone out, thankfully. We had rain from start to finish, and a good downpour towards the end. Numbers were good for the NRAI shoot, but due to short notice there was less than ideal turn out for the novice. We'll make up for that in the new year.

Average group size was around the 10" mark, and the records set were 4.125" for FTR and 4" for F-Open. Splendid shooting, and congrats to the two lads that scored these terrific results.

Thanks to everyone that turned up, and to the MNSCI/NRAI for a good days shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

thats great to hear of the record breaking news..

congrats to all involved,

how did the novice shoot go, i couldnt make it givin the short notice but i intend on making it to the one after christmas..

it was great that ye managed to fit it in this time but a bit more notice the next time would be great.

thanks

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    how did the novice shoot go, i couldnt make it givin the short notice but i intend on making it to the one after christmas..
    Like yourself most lads had too little time or other arrangements so turnout was poor. Then when the rain settled in lads decided not to shoot. Its a pity, but as said we will make up for it after Christmas.
    it was great that ye managed to fit it in this time but a bit more notice the next time would be great.

thanks
    Yeah the notice was very short, and possibly any other time of the year we still would have gotten more lads, but with it being so close to chrismas, and other plans made for the weekend people had to prioitise, and who can blame them.

The novice shoot was discussed, and all the details are pretty much sorted in regrds to format. all thats left is the date, but i have been guaranteed it will be as soon after Christmas as possible so we're looking at possibly the end of Jan/Start of Feb. Definitely no later. There are comps starting around March onwards, and we would like those involved in the novice day to satrt competing when they can.

Rest assured that i have all the names of those interested, and you will all get a minimum of a months notice to plan accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Sounds like a great day out!
    I don't know if the .270 would throw to 500yards well + I'm not a good enough shot. My .223 is 1/12 twist so that's it out...

But I might come along and watch!

Glensman wrote: »
    Sounds like a great day out!
    I don't know if the .270 would throw to 500yards well + I'm not a good enough shot. My .223 is 1/12 twist so that's it out...

But I might come along and watch!

You will get to 500 yards no problem with the 270,also the 223.::D

You will get to 500 yards no problem with the 270,also the 223.::D

I'd have to learn to be a man and shoot with no Muzzle-break first!

We'll see, I might put some 140gr VLDs together and meet you on the range the first week on Jan if you are about and we can see what she does.
    The furthest target I shot was 230 odd yards with the .270.

We'll see, I might put some 140gr VLDs together and meet you on the range the first week on Jan if you are about and we can see what she does.
    The furthest target I shot was 230 odd yards with the .270.

Yes sounds good to me:D
    We can try various ranges and you will see how your rifles performs.:;)

Well its just a matter of habit i guess.

• Advertisement

Yes sounds good to me:D
    We can try various ranges and you will see how your rifles performs.:;)

Well its just a matter of habit i guess.

It Rattles the teeth out of my head! There might be someone at the range who can give me a few pointers...
    It's a lightweight stalking rifle, but it can shoot well enough for a factory rifle :)

I'm looking forward to that now. I need to get a good scope on to it between now and then!

It Rattles the teeth out of my head! There might be someone at the range who can give me a few pointers...
    It's a lightweight stalking rifle, but it can shoot well enough for a factory rifle :)

I'm looking forward to that now. I need to get a good scope on to it between now and then!

I need to get a good scope on to it between now and then!

You never know what santa has for you:D:D:D

And there is always someone there who can give you some advice;)

Advertisement