Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about Xmas turkey/ham sizes

Options
  • 05-12-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hi all, don't know if this is in the right forum . Feel free to move.
    I have no idea what size turkey and ham to order. I want no bones in either. I think you call it boned and rolled!! There will be four adults and two kids aged 8.
    Please put me in the right direction. Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

I never have a clue either, just tell the butcher how many adults and kids and he tells me about how much I need. Just ask him to bone and roll it too it will be no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It all depends on whether you want leftovers to last a few days after. There are 2 adults & 2 kids in my house. I usually order a 12 to 14lb whole turkey. That lasts for 2 main meals & a lot of me nibbling away at it & a good pot of soup afterwards.

I also normally go for a couple of bags of giblets - 1 for stock for the gravy & another for making soup from the last scraps of the turkey.

As for hams - I'll be buying ours this week & freezing it. I find that the only hams available coming up to Christmas are the massive ones that are too much for what we need, not to mention overpriced. I'll pick up a regular 2lb ham at a normal price & that'll be plenty for the few days over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Ditto on above, personally I wouldn't go near a boned and rolled turkey as I find its far nicer on the bone and the stuffing in the cavity is to die for, family of 4 here too and we normally go for a 14lb bird and a round ham.

Gets us about 4 days eating with curries and the likes, but my fav is frying the turkey in butter..:p

Advertisement