Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

c and c pls

• 05-12-2011 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

been a long time since i have been out so got all motivated over the weekend, got a break in the weather and here are some of the results

first pic , magheroarty beach
    _MG_9656-2.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The crooked horizon does nothing for me and am curious as to why you like it. I'd often play with visual levels to throw the viewer but this example is just off putting to my eye.

Why do you think the crooked horizon works in this pic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Overall I like the image.
    Im not a big fan of that large shadow taking up a lot of the foreground, the composition, sun reflecting on the skull and water reflecting in the sand are really nice.
    The slight tilt on the horizon gives me the feeling that the bay is curving around. Not sure if it was like this or you did this on purpose, but it works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

the bay was curving round towards me , so im tryin to think whether it si a crooked horizon or thats the way it was

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I'd have to agree. With a shot like that you get a lot of wandering lines, from the angle of the skull, the shadow relative to the skull, the marks on the beach, the flow of the waves and the line of the moutains, so i reckon the horizon should, ideally, be perfect.

Just me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

another from same beach
    _MG_9742.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

puddles22 wrote: »
    been a long time since i have been out so got all motivated over the weekend, got a break in the weather and here are some of the results

first pic , magheroarty beach
    lh3.googleuserco

The first thing I notice is the crooked horizon and it takes away from the image. The skull and shadow are quite strong but the emphasis is taken away from them by having too much going on in the distance.
    I think if you had a lot less sky and moved back a little from the skull to recompose it a bit higher in the shot it would improve it - at least IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

I like that photo Puddles! I can see what the straight horizon issue is but I guess that's from having the skull at the angle it is in the photo. I imagine there are several different ways that this photo could have been composed (horizontal etc) but I like it. I would have liked the opportunity myself to compose it by kneeling down more and maybe playing around with different angles from ground level (bit messy for the trousers though :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I think the first image is a cracker of an image.

The desaturation works well IMHO, but careful not to push the 'metallic' look too much or it will get tacky.

The horizon didn't even cause me a second glance. I don't particularly think it diverts attention - at least for me, but maybe I have a natural tilt on my head to match the chip on my shoulder ;)

To me its a belter of an image (that's good :)) I think the processing far better suits the first image rather than the second one posted. Perhaps a gritty black/white would have suited the second one better?

Nice.

Advertisement