Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€500 Build

Options
  • 05-12-2011 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to build my first PC. I'd like to think that I know a good deal about computers, but I've never built my own, so I was just wondering what people think of parts I'm thinking of using.

It will be used for a bit of everything. I use Adobe programs like Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator fairly often. I also use video and audio editing software from time to time. Gaming isn't really that big a deal to me. I've got an Xbox and I'm happy with it. I'd like to be able to play the copy of Borderlands that someone gifted me on Steam, as well as being able to run a PS1 emulator, thats about all I need in the Games department. Aside from that, I'd like to use it for playing my collection of DVD and HDDVD (Yes, I've got HDDVDs) rips.

The most important thing is that it lasts. I dont want to build it and find that its an outdated piece of junk within a year. I know that Microsoft is pushing for UEFI over BIOS in computers for the launch of Windows 8, but truth be told, I've no idea what UEFI is, or whether or not I should care. :(

I wont be making the build until around late January-early February, I just want to make sure everything is going to work well before I start building.

So here's the specs;

Case: Antec One Hundred Mid Tower
    PSU: Corsair Builder CX600 V2
    Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M LE B3
    CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 - 3.1GHz 6MB
    RAM: 8GB Corsair DIMM Low Profile 1600MHz PC3-12800
    GPU: ASUS GeForce ENGT430/DI/1GD3(LP)/EU - 1GB
    Wifi: Linksys Wireless-N PCI Adapter

I've already got a few hard drives that I'm happy enough to use, and I'm not too fussed about SSDs just yet, especially after the recent price hike.
    I've also already got a DVD Drive, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse & copy of Windows, so I dont need them.

If I were to buy all the parts from Komplett, it would add up to €506.35. I dont mind going a bit higher, but I don't want to add anything just for the hell of it, no point buying something I wont use to its full potential.

Thanks guys,

Advertisement