Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whistle recall (dog whistle)

• 05-12-2011 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Training my dog to come back when i whistle. i only use 2 short bursts to call her and it works 100% around the house but i want to give it another while to build it up before we take it to a new place. I'm only doing the training with left over meat from dinner hoping to get the best results. HOw do i approach and know when me and the dog are ready to go beyond the house and garden? i want to be able to let her off in a wood near by but with a high confidence of her coming back. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Use either a long lead rein or an extending lead and let it right out, whistle and when she comes back give her a treat repeat this for a few days and she'll realise that coming back is good fun outside as well. Make sure you don't only call her back to put on the lead, Call her back treat and then send her off again. Both of my 2 are whistle trained and they stop on the first whistle and come back on the second, it really saves my voice ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Well you've done the hard bit - she now knows that whistle = treats. When you say she does it in the house, does she do it if distracted in the house?

Start by making it difficult in the house, so say she is having a game in another room, try it then. Bring her out into your back garden, and then try it. Once she's doing it when she's distracted in your garden you can start to try it in the woods.

When you go to the woods, go when she's hungry, do your normal on lead walk and make sure she is tired. Then do your whistle and return while on the lead once or twice. When you let her off, only let her go so far before you whistle and treat.

Make sure that part of her returning is you holding her collar and letting her go again, you don't want her to start thinking that every time she returns she'll be put back on the lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

piperh wrote: »
    Use either a long lead rein or an extending lead and let it right out, whistle and when she comes back give her a treat repeat this for a few days and she'll realise that coming back is good fun outside as well. Make sure you don't only call her back to put on the lead, Call her back treat and then send her off again. Both of my 2 are whistle trained and they stop on the first whistle and come back on the second, it really saves my voice ;)

+1 this is exactly what I did. I use the whistle most when we're at the beach - he runs out in the water and sometimes my voice won't carry if it's breezy but the whistle does the trick :)

Advertisement