Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Work Enterprise Allowance...Tourism based business

Options
  • 05-12-2011 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I have an idea for a tourism based business and plan to apply for the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance in the next couple of months when I have a couple of things ironed out.
    The business will obviously have its high and low seasons (although I have plans to promote it outside of the high season to cater for non tourist markets). However, I have just seen on the SW website that "Seasonal, temporary or part time work is not acceptable for the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance."
    Do they count tourism enterprises as seasonal? Has anyone here set up a tourism focussed business on the BTWEA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

hi Mosi,
    I run a small motorhome rental business based in Castlebar , Co. Mayo. I have not tried to avail of the Back to work allowance scheme yet but nearly anything else that i have looked for help with has been a total waste of time. I have received help and guidance from Leader and IIBC but as far as been a tourist related business which the present government claim to be encouraging , I have been frustrated time and time again.
    It appears if you are not a hotel owner or if you are in competition with the hotel sector , you are wasting your time.
    Failte Ireland was described to me by a member of The County Enterprise Board as an "organisation for hoteliers ran by hoteliers"
    Approxtimately 70% of our business this year has been from overseas visitors.We have had bookings from India, Israel, Dubai, Ghana, US as well as almost every country in Europe.
    I wish you the best in your new venture, but from our experience , be prepared for certain sectors to be pulling against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Thanks for your reply, I guess I should ask my local area partnership facilitator before I proceed much further (I'm not hotel based either)...although I'm hoping to start up anyway, I'll just have to work things out differently:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

mosi wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, I guess I should ask my local area partnership facilitator before I proceed much further (I'm not hotel based either)...although I'm hoping to start up anyway, I'll just have to work things out differently:rolleyes:

You need to dress up your business plan a bit different, put in something for the off season even if if you don't intend doing it. For example say you will spend the winter making your product / offering your service for the Christmas market.

Advertisement