Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of dropping down to pass English

• 05-12-2011 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm in 5th year at the moment and I hate HL English. My junior cert teacher taught us that summary answers will get us a lot of marks and so that was my policy through first to third year and I didn't care that I got a C for the junior. This year all we have done is Macbeth (ughhh). The constant questions we have to write take much longer than other subjects to write and hang over me if I don't do them and end up leaving them to the last night, seeking distractions from doing it (right now).

I have a 6 page essay on the atmosphere that Lady Macbeth creates and I haven't started. He has told us nothing about how to answer it and it was supposed to be done for today but I didn't do it because I have been having fun in every other subject and dreading the English class. The majority of the class had it done and he just yelled at me. I spent 3 hours writing the biggest essay we had this year and got 78% for 4.5 pages. He used it as an example as a bad essay even though it was probably in the top few percentage wise.It would be unfair to say that he picks on just me but rather only the boys, and there are 8 of us in the class and 10 or so girls.

Sorry about the rant.I'm hating the subject and am wondering if pass is a significantly "lighter" subject? I only know a few people doing pass English and am concerned if it would be an embarassment because so many people tell me "English is grand". I'm already doing 6HL besides English which I average an 86% overall so no worries there and I've heard OL English is managable without taking up much time. Any help? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Summary answers might work at JC, they won't at LC.

English essays are not marked on how many pages you do, they are marked on how (and whether) you answer the question asked. When you say he used it asd an example of a 'bad essay' what does that mean? Did you spend pages writing off-topic stuff? Was it structured badly?

From your post it looks like you are well able to write in English. Six other HL subjects at A standard and OL English would seem strange to me. You should ask the teacher what you should have done differently to get more marks.

Not all subjects are 'fun' sadly, but such is life. At college you will also find modules and areas you are not so keen on, but well able to manage.

Don't quit when things get a bit difficult.

Advertisement