Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

northern ireland calves

• 05-12-2011 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

hi guys ,

i was going to buy some freisian bull calves , but the local meat plant doesnt take them when they are finished , what do ye guys do with them , rang some of ads on donedeal and theys guys say they are busy dropping calves down south. do they go to designated plants that kill imported animals or what ? .
    thanks for your replies

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

with any luck these calves will have to go back over the border to be killed ,solution to your problem is buy irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

charityboy wrote: »
    solution to your problem is buy irish
    they are irish!
    i thought that crack of not killing imported animals was gone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

I wouldn`t bother with them. Looks like there's going to be a glut of Weanlens next year anyway, with all these imported calves and the extra 15% increase in the suckler herd.
    Guess what way the prices go when there's a over supply ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 macflea

rang meat factories in south , none will take them when finished , roscrea only factory, so would be at their mercy for prices, thats the idea scuppered.
    cheers

flatout11 wrote: »
    they are irish!
    i thought that crack of not killing imported animals was gone?
    theyare northern irish and only a few factories will kill them and all they are doing is adding to the major glut of cattle that will b around in 18 months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

macflea wrote: »
    rang meat factories in south , none will take them when finished , roscrea only factory, so would be at their mercy for prices, thats the idea scuppered.
    cheers

Probably more because they're friesians than they're northern. Ireland would be in big trouble if Italian processors discriminated against Irish bred cattle.

The Italians only process Italian Cattle.
    To do that they
    buy Irish cattle
    Feed them a bucket of nuts and a bale of Hay
    Then presto!! Italian cattle
    Easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

macflea wrote: »
    hi guys ,

i was going to buy some freisian bull calves , but the local meat plant doesnt take them when they are finished , what do ye guys do with them , rang some of ads on donedeal and theys guys say they are busy dropping calves down south. do they go to designated plants that kill imported animals or what ? .
    thanks for your replies

cheers

Best way is to take them back across the border, but be careful as some northern plants won't take them either. A word of advice don't believe all those Northern guys would tell ya (especially surname begining with C). Reputable company took in heifers from Romania and the same problem has arisen, it will be hard to get rid of them.

charityboy wrote: »
    theyare northern irish and only a few factories will kill them and all they are doing is adding to the major glut of cattle that will b around in 18 months
    funny thing that we are happy to sell our cattle up north to farmers but we dont like to see any trade coming south fair is fair lads they are farmers too, i was at a fatstock where factory men were bidding away at cattle bred in the north, i cant see the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

funny thing that we are happy to sell our cattle up north to farmers but we dont like to see any trade coming south fair is fair lads they are farmers too, i was at a fatstock where factory men were bidding away at cattle bred in the north, i cant see the problem

well iv just bought 20 Friesian bull calves - there on the way down from north now as I write. Hope your right flatout11!! Have you any more words of encouragement and optimism like above that you can share?!!

Jo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Any indication on price etc?
    jocotty wrote: »
    well iv just bought 20 Friesian bull calves - there on the way down from north now as I write. Hope your right flatout11!! Have you any more words of encouragement and optimism like above that you can share?!!

Jo

Any indication on price etc?

130 euro per head - price includes deliv to galway. all 2 week old bull calves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Bank holiday monday in carnaross in meath, bull calves were making €140 - €190 per head all most were from Monaghan

the problem arises when the cattle with northern passports cant be killed on the same line as irish cattle ,if there are enough coming in then there is a chance they will kill ,big factories dont want to know about them but there are smaller factories killing them when they can get enough booked in

Cant see much profit here I`m afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cattlejobber

factorys on the uk main land will not kill irish cattle even though the factorys are owned by a certin irish man.. its a way of controling markets. if price is bad here and good in england. we cant send across a few doubles and sort the problem.... he'll take us for all he can

Grecco wrote: »
    Cant see much profit here I`m afraid

ahh shur bit by bit!! Wouldnt like to put too much of a lump under the matress! ;)

factorys on the uk main land will not kill irish cattle even though the factorys are owned by a certin irish man.. its a way of controling markets. if price is bad here and good in england. we cant send across a few doubles and sort the problem.... he'll take us for all he can

eh they do there is feedlots in scotland that buy up cattle some from ireland aswell!

Advertisement