Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unfinished estates and property tax

• 05-12-2011 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

property tax will go towards budget for local authorities.it will help to maintain services ie fire and emergency,public parks,waste services,libraries,open spaces,leisure facilities.will those residing in unfinished estates get a waiver. i live in westbury near parteen in clare.the estate is not taken in charge by the council.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Waiver for those living in unfinished 'ghost' estates and they'll name the qualifying estates at a later date.

"I understand that the introduction of the household charge, even though modest at less than the equivalent of two euro a week, represents an additional cost for homeowners so I have provided in the Bill that it may be paid in a number of instalments.

"I have also introduced provisions in the Bill to protect vulnerable groups in society by providing a waiver for those on mortgage interest supplement and those residing in certain unfinished housing estates."

Those living in social housing and ghost estates will be exempt from the charge. Further details on the unfinished estates qualifying for the waiver will be announced as soon as possible, the minister said.
    "

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/valuebased-property-tax-planned-16086806.html#ixzz1fhclYR7I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I don't think Westbury is a "Ghost Estate" :rolleyes: nor i'll bet will it fall into the category of an "unfinished estate"
    I'd be thinking the unfinished estates are those without proper sewage/roads/lighting/water supply etc
    An estate not been taken over does not equal an "unfinished estate" per se

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

molard wrote: »
    property tax will go towards budget for local authorities.it will help to maintain services ie fire and emergency,public parks,waste services,libraries,open spaces,leisure facilities.will those residing in unfinished estates get a waiver. i live in westbury near parteen in clare.the estate is not taken in charge by the council.
    property tax will go toawrds keeping the usless wasters working in the county councils in their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

angelfire9 wrote: »
    I don't think Westbury is a "Ghost Estate" :rolleyes: nor i'll bet will it fall into the category of an "unfinished estate"
    I'd be thinking the unfinished estates are those without proper sewage/roads/lighting/water supply etc

the above incomplete infrastructural problems is the reason clare co co will not take the estate in charge and will not come inside the estate .so is it fair for residents to pay 100e and receive nothing for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

angelfire9 wrote: »

Just to weigh in on this.

The waiver will apply to category 3 and category 4 estates

From http://www.kildarestreet.com/sendebates/?id=2011-12-06.242.0, a category 3 and category 4 estate is defined as follows:
    The Government also intends providing a waiver for households in certain categories of unfinished housing estates. The report of the advisory group on unfinished estates identified two categories of households in particular difficulty: category 3 estates - some 1,112 estates - where a developer is in place but there is no onsite activity and where there are significant planning, building control compliance and public safety issues to be addressed; and category 4 estates - some 188 estates - where the developer or site owner is effectively not contactable and-or where no receiver has been appointed and serious public safety problems similar to category 3 exist. Again, the Minister, Deputy Hogan, will set out the list of the estates to which the waiver will apply in regulations. The Minister will be informed by local authority returns to his Department from the 2011 national survey of unfinished housing estates. This waiver will benefit residents of such estates as they work with other stakeholders in developing resolutions for these problematic developments. The costs of introducing this waiver will abate over time as more estates are resolved through the site resolution process and property owners become liable for the charge. The exact number of households to benefit from this waiver will be known when the Minister signs the necessary regulations into law.

so unless (1) a developer for this Westbury estate is in place, but there is no on-site activity, and there are signifigcant health & safety, planning and/or building control issues or (2) the developer is not contactable or no receiver has been appointed and serious public safety issues exist, then it looks like the waiver won't apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

molard wrote: »
    so is it fair for residents to pay 100e and receive nothing for it.

In your OP, you listed a load of services that you said the charge would be funding.

Are you saying the fire service won't come into your estate, or you're not allowed into your local library/local park/council leisure facilities, just because your estate isn't handed over?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

phutyle wrote: »
    In your OP, you listed a load of services that you said the charge would be funding.

Are you saying the fire service won't come into your estate, or you're not allowed into your local library/local park/council leisure facilities, just because your estate isn't handed over?

fire service 500e call out charge

library/local park/council leisure facilities..... none
    these services are availible over the shannon in limerick.grand so can i pay limerick council instead :D.no :(. why not limerick is providing the services to me at the moment :confused:. because you live in clare:mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

On that basis, people out the country shouldn't pay either, in a lot of cases they're paying for their own water, no police presence no amenities

Advertisement