Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Apple Pie & home made ice cream

Options
  • 05-12-2011 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a simple recipe for Apple pie please. I want to make it from scratch, pastry included.

I'd like to have some cinnamon included in the pie and maybe a drop of whiskey/brandy as I find it add's a nice flavour.

I'm also after a recipe for home made ice cream. Preferably vanilla ice cream, chocolate ice cream and cinnamon ice cream. I don't have an ice cream maker so have to do it by hand.

Would appreciate any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Hi purple bobbin, I just posted my pastry recipe in the cherry cake thread:
    Rich shortcrust pastry

8oz plain flour
    4oz butter
    1oz caster sugar
    1 large egg

Unusual method - makes it more rich:
    Sieve the flour and stir in sugar. Melt the butter in the microwave, leave to cool a little and then mix into flour/sugar until it resembles breadcrumbs. Beat the egg and stir in until a soft dough is formed. Put ball of dough in cling film and rest in the fridge for a half hour. (All this can be done in the food processor either)

For mince pies, this will make 12 deep lidded pies. Preheat your oven to 190 dec C. Roll out on a floured board, between sheets of clingfilm for less sticking if desired, cut out rounds with a cutter or glass, make the base 1/3 wider than lid. Put base in lined or greased metal cupcake tin, spoon in a tbsp of lovely mincemeat and top with lid. You can use a fork to seal the edges, and brush top with a beaten egg to make it glossy.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 20 mins until golden.
    Eat in front of a blazing fire in your pjs with whipped cream

Same applies for apple pie, except half the pastry and roll out between cling film sheets. Flip over and place pastry onto 7" greased pie dish, removing cling film of course. Fill with thinly sliced cooking apples, two large should do, sprinkle with lots of sugar, cinnamon and mixed spice to taste. Add a small splash of chosen booze. Roll out the lid and place atop, prod centre top with knife for air vent, and brush with beaten egg for gloss.

Bake at 190 for about 20-25 mins until golden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks so much Eviledna, I'll give this a go over the next few days and report back on how it went :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

You're very welcome, love your blog btw!;)

Sorry I couldn't help with the icecream, always thought you'd need an ice-cream machine for that, anyone know otherwise??

Eviledna wrote: »
    You're very welcome, love your blog btw!;)

Sorry I couldn't help with the icecream, always thought you'd need an ice-cream machine for that, anyone know otherwise??
    Thank you :)

Aye I thought you'd need an ice cream maker too, but then I saw on a cooking program over at my boyfriends house (don't know what program it was) where someone made ice cream by hand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You can make ice-cream by hand, but you need to keep taking it out of the freezer and stirring it, so it can be a bit of a pain.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    You can make ice-cream by hand, but you need to keep taking it out of the freezer and stirring it, so it can be a bit of a pain.
    Thanks Faith.

I wouldn't mind having to stir it constantly though, so long as it turned out nice.

Would you know of a good recipe by any chance?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

No, sorry, I've never done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

You could try a cheats icecream if you don't want to make custard from scratch and keep mixing the icecream from the freezer!

2 cup of heavy cream
    1/2 cup of condensed milk

Mix well, add about a teaspoon of vanilla essence and freeze in a shallow pan.

The extra sweetness of the condensed milk will prevent ice crystals from forming, so it ends up being a really smooth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

For the ice cream you could go for semifreddo . Jamie Oliver made one in xmas with bells on, a snickers one. The recipe is on the channel four website and does not look like it needs removing from the freezer and stirring like ice cream. Just substitute the snickers with your own choice.

There is also a video on how to make ice cream there.

Advertisement