Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining up LED Christmass Tree lights?

• 06-12-2011 12:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to join 2 sets of LED Christmass tree lights,so that they work off the 1 traffo?

I have 2 sets of lights here,(Aldi LED,200 lights per set),and would like to know if I can splice into the lead and join up the 2nd set.

Would they both work off the 1 plug lead and traffo?

The lights are the 2nd in the pic,(not the rope lights),just the normal LED Christmass tree lights that I want to link up.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What voltage & current is each set? What voltage & current is the trafo?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

What voltage & current is each set? What voltage & current is the trafo?

Thats a good question.

I,ll dig the boxes back out of the garage in the morning and tell you then.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Most of these led sets have multiple strings of lights so you can switch between effects. If they are LEDs I'm not sure where the current limit resistors are either. I would imagine each string would need limiting resistors, unless they are 12v LEDs, but I doubt that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Right,managed to dig out the box.

Heres the spec on the Christmass tree lights and traffo.

based on these specs,can I link another 200 led lights to these ones?

So that would be 400 lights running off of 1 plug lead and traffo

Can it be done??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

paddy147 wrote: »
    Right,managed to dig out the box.

Heres the spec on the Christmass tree lights and traffo.

based on these specs,can I link another 200 led lights to these ones?

So that would be 400 lights running off of 1 plug lead and traffo

Can it be done??

Not being funny or anything but doesn't it say there "do not connect the light chain with other light chains".
    Reckon you'd have an overheating problem if you did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭FMartinp

I doubt you can join these cheap sets together. I bought 2 sets in the electrical wholesaler the other day and you can join up to 4 sets of these together. They are 220v so there is no transformer and are available in 120 light and 320 light sets.

Advertisement