Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you call him Santa, Santa Claus, or Santee? and what does it say about you?!

• 06-12-2011 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

So what do you call the lovely man in the red costume with the white beard? :D

Go on, what do you call him & why? will he be coming to you this year? any funny Santa stories? have you ever been Santa? have you ever kissed Santa? have you ever been kised by Santa? Did you put out milk & biscuits for Santa as a kid? Do you/ would you allow your kids to believe in the story of Santa Claus . . . .

Ho ho ho.

Do you (in your family) call him Santa, Santa Claus, or Santee? 174 votes

We have always called him Santa.
    0% 0 votes
    We have always called him Santa Claus.
    47% 83 votes
    We have always called him Santee.
    1% 3 votes
    Other names accepted :-)
    50% 88 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I call him lies and I don't care what that says about me. LIES!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Annual Gift Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

santa, I hate santee/santy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Santee.

What does it say about me? That I call Santee, Santee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Homeless Colonel Sanders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Funny you should mention Santa Clause. Tomorrow is the Feast of St.Nicholas the real Santa.

We put bags of Gold coins in each others stockings/shoes this night. The reason being that St.Nicholas was charitable to many girls and boys in his town and he would often drop the bags of Gold down the chimney for them.

He did this also for women who were being sold into slavery and prostitution by their fathers and mothers because they couldnt afford the dowry to get married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Santee is Dublinese isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Jesus Sr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Father Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Fr. Christmas

Great lad. Delivers a good mass and presents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Santee.

What does it say about me? That I call Santee, Santee.

I'll never understand how they got Santee out of Santa :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Santy. It's what all kids who weren't posh or Southsiders in Dublin called him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I spell it Santy, not Santee. In my letters like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Daidi na Nollaig.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Was just known as Claus in our house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Black Cow

I always assumed the lower class called him "Santy". At least that's my experience of it. It's usually accompanied by a strong Dublin accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Slanty Jaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I called him Santy when I was a child but call him Santa/ Santa Claus now (feckin americanisms:() to my kids.
    Santy told me to **** off when I was about 7, I was traumatised:mad: Christmas eve I got up to go to the toilet, walked into the bathroom and Santy was sitting on the toilet with his hands leaning against the bath. He looked at me and said "fuuuucck ooooooff" I ran back to bed and was in a panic all night that I wasnt going to get any presents. My parents told me years later that it was my uncle pissed dressed in a Santy suit:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Santy around north Laois aswell, 'on the santy!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Santa or Santy depending who i'm talking to. I'd usually say Santa to the older kids and Santy to the younger ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Daddy or more accurately The Credit Union!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'd say 'Santa Claus' or 'Santy.'
    I'd never spell it 'Santee' though!!

Onesimus wrote: »
    Funny you should mention Santa Clause. Tomorrow is the Feast of St.Nicholas the real Santa.

We put bags of Gold coins in each others stockings/shoes this night. The reason being that St.Nicholas was charitable to many girls and boys in his town and he would often drop the bags of Gold down the chimney for them.

He did this also for women who were being sold into slavery and prostitution by their fathers and mothers because they couldnt afford the dowry to get married.

Many thanks for that, I didn't realise that tomorrow (Tuesday) was the feast of St Nicholas, also interesting to get the background story - Many thanks. PS: I deliberately didnt add St Nicholas as a poll choice in the knowledge that the great unwashed (me included) wouldn't use the original & correct term in every day useage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

santy is irish for santa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Black Cow wrote: »
    I always assumed the lower class called him "Santy". At least that's my experience of it. It's usually accompanied by a strong Dublin accent.

Ooh the lower class eh?
    I call him Santy and Ive never had a dublin accent,thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I never believed in santa, it's a stupid thing to believe in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Santy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It's been either Santa or Santy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Onesimus wrote: »

*head explodes with the paradox*
    hondasam wrote: »
    I never believed in santa, it's a stupid thing to believe in.

you missed the magic, poor you :(

• Advertisement

Saila wrote: »

you missed the magic :(

I missed nothing except believing some man came down the chimney with anything I asked for, only it never happened.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

This old nugget.... boils my blood everytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Always Santa/Santa Claus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Father Christmas.

Never heard of "santy" 'til i moved here when i was 9.

-"What's Santy brining you?"

-"Who?"

- "Santy. What's he bringing you for Chridtmas?"

- "Oh, you mean Father Christmas? How do I know what he's bringing me? It's a surprise, isn't it?"

See, I never understood all this knowing what you were getting malarky. As far as my lot were concerned, you waited til the big day to find out if you had been good enough to get anything never mind what we were going to get!

As a result, I was never dissapointed. He always came and always left me loads of great surprises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Where does "Santy" even come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

hondasam wrote: »
    I missed nothing except believing some man came down the chimney with anything I asked for, only it never happened.:pac:

it was great believing in santa, always the not knowing factor and trying to catch him out, that was half the fun :)

and when parents realised I didnt believe it, they felt WAY less pressure to get me what I wanted :(

win lose situation :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

We call him 'Santy' in my house too!

Although my one year old calls him 'Santint' :)

Saila wrote: »
    it was great believing in santa, always the not knowing factor and trying to catch him out, that was half the fun :)

and when parents realised I didnt believe it, they felt WAY less pressure to get me what I wanted :(

win lose situation :(

I don't believe in fairy tales. what age were you when you stop believing? really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Black Cow wrote: »

Oh the lower classes and their idiosyncrasies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Santaí

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I found the fact that Santa doesn't exist quite painful when I discovered the truth. Being 17 years old is tough enough with out that crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I found the fact that Santa doesn't exist quite painful when I discovered the truth. Being 17 years old is tough enough with out that crap.

Aw Chuck...he will still come to you if you just believe ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Santaí

So all along I was using the Irish... :)

Is Santaí really the Irish for Santa, or is that a joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Sanity Clause.
    Thank you Marx Brothers.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

"The coke man". I will leave it up to you to decide if that is a reference to drug use, the coca cola influence on the red clothes wearing character, or both :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Im southside and called him Santy. You're forgetting Tallaght, walkinstown, crumlin, drimnagh, ringsend, irishtown etc are all on the southside too. But then I've heard noth side education isnt that good. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

OldGoat wrote: »
    Sanity Clause.
    Thank you Marx Brothers.

there aint no sanity clause!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Santa was never popular in our house, Dad used to buy really crappy santa gifts and really good dadda gifts so that we wouldn't like santa any more than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Communist present distributor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I really hate "Santy" I dunno why but as soon as I hear a kid saying I automatically go "ugh". Nothing to do with north/south side, I just can't stand it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement