Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black pudd for scallop starter

Options
  • 06-12-2011 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hey peeps,

Heading to Scotland for Xmas, and I've been asked to bring some black pudding to go with a scallop and pea puree starter. (the big rounds of black pudding they have over there are not very nice.)

I am a big fan of Clonakilty, but I'm wondering if there are any other black puddings you would recommend instead?

Also, going to try a few butchers over the next week, and see if they have some tasty homemade ones too.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 TimmyoTooleI

Hey peeps,

Heading to Scotland for Xmas, and I've been asked to bring some black pudding to go with a scallop and pea puree starter. (the big rounds of black pudding they have over there are not very nice.)

I am a big fan of Clonakilty, but I'm wondering if there are any other black puddings you would recommend instead?

Also, going to try a few butchers over the next week, and see if they have some tasty homemade ones too.

Cheers in advance.

Jack McCarthys Kanturk. By far nicest I've tasted. On the menu fOr queens state dinner. Not sure where you are based. He delivers but think minimum order is e100 - has lots of other nice stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

There is only one in my opinion that is superb with scallops and that is annascaul black pudding. They have website and you can buy online. The white pudding is lovely too. Here's their site -

http://www.annascaulblackpudding.com/annascaul-pudding-page.html

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Esox Lucias

Jack McCarthys Kanturk. By far nicest I've tasted. On the menu fOr queens state dinner. Not sure where you are based. He delivers but think minimum order is e100 - has lots of other nice stuff too.

Excellent thank you, I'm in Athlone. But will see if i can get my hands on some from there.

I dont know if grainy or smooth is the way to go for this starter, never eaten it out before. :o

vicwatson wrote: »
    There is only one in my opinion that is superb with scallops and that is annascaul black pudding. They have website and you can buy online. The white pudding is lovely too. Here's their site -

Enjoy.

WOW, that looks like nothing I've ever seen! Will order that regardless to try it out. Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

I had this pudding last year, it's absolutely incredible. They were at the National Craft Fair last week too, their spice beef is amazing too!! I think I might order some of this pudding now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Wow, some real pudding aficionados here!

My tuppence worth.

The Jack McCarthy stuff is extremely tasty alright but a little too salty for my taste - comes in huge, round slices. Despite the saltiness, I often eat it.

Annascaul is on my to try list now!;)

Inch House is also excellent and comes in little square packs like the Annascaul. It is quite sweet and quite expensive but worth it for a treat.

Burns Butcher in Sneem make a really good big square pudding. Quite like the Inch House but cheaper.

The Inch House and the Sneem one are both quite soft in texture with the McCarthy one being firmer.

I am also a big fan of the Clonakilty pudding.
    Another in the 'easier to get' catagory would be Staunton's black pudding (another West Cork one) which doesn't look great at all but has fantastic flavour and is quite firm and meaty if that's what you're after.
    Rosscarbery Recipes (yet another West Cork contender) black pudding is very good and they make, for me, the best white pudding that I've tried to date.

I'd happily eat any of the above with that starter, it's really down to what texture your'e after. Considering scallops are quite soft and pea purée is obviously soft, I think I'd go with a firmer one like Staunton's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Taken from the Irish Independent

IT may be old news to lovers of the traditional Irish fry -- but Ireland has finally been recognised as the home of black pudding by the leading global authorities on the delicacy.

Twenty-five members of the elaborately named 'Brotherhood of the Knights of the Black Pudding' have arrived here to induct three Irish producers into their exclusive group for the first time.

The honour of being invited to join the France-based fraternity is seen as a huge coup, particularly as the group admitted that only three years ago they had no idea black pudding was even produced in this country.

But yesterday the 'knights' donned their traditional robes and headgear and marched through Newport, Co Mayo, in an elaborate ceremony to present producer Sean Kelly, of Kelly's Butchers, with a bronze medal before knighting him.

Today, the fraternity will induct and award a gold medal to Jack McCarthy, from Kanturk, Co Cork.

And tomorrow the knights will formally honour Willie Allshire, of Rosscarbery, Co Cork, with a silver medal and induction. It was Mr Allshire's traditional Rosscarbery pudding that first grabbed the attention of the fraternity three years ago, when he became the first Irishman to be awarded a gold medal by the group.

The Black Pudding Fraternity, or 'Confrerie des Chevaliers du Goute Boudin' was set up in 1963 in Mortagne-au-Perche, in the heart of France, by a group of lovers of good food to promote the tradition of eating the delicacy, which is made from pig's blood, fat and onion.

They receive thousands of entries from across the world, and award dozens of medals in many different categories.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/black-pudding-knights-get-the-full-irish-welcome-2345667.html

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Kelly's of Newport in Mayo do a great black pudding; they were given an award by the Confrérie des Chevaliers du Goute-Boudin too.

http://www.kellysbutchers.com/frenchvisit.html

They are also available nationwide.

http://www.kellysbutchers.com/stockists.html

As an aside, their sausages are fantastic too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Enjoy.
    Sorry for going off topic, but has anyone here tried the Annascaul sausages?

Can you tell me what they are like please? I'm sick of the usual sausages from Dunnes, Supervalu etc, so would like to try something new.

Would appreciate any help :)

Cheers for all the replies peeps. Wonder if I will have time to try them all before going.
    The pudding in Scotland, if any of ye have had it, is very dry and sticks to the top of your mouth. It is this that i want to avoid, altho from reading im sure none of ye have suggested anything like that. I like the way i can smear Clonakilty on brown soda bread. Om nom nom.

Thanks again, I will prob be sick of black pudding by the time I sit down for this starter. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Those damned Munster people...keeping all the good stuff to themselves...thanks a lot for the link....;)

Can I jump on this thread and ask...best black pudding in Galway or Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

+1 for Kelly's pudding it's yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Sorry for going off topic, but has anyone here tried the Annascaul sausages?

Can you tell me what they are like please? I'm sick of the usual sausages from Dunnes, Supervalu etc, so would like to try something new.

Would appreciate any help :)

We love Clonakilty 'Ispini', get them in Dunnes. Yum.

Black and White pudding has to be Clonakilty too.

Advertisement