Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to learn Dutch in Galway?

• 06-12-2011 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

Pretty much exactly what the thread title says. Looking to learn Dutch (not sure if there are any accredited courses in Galway, but just conversational would be fine to start with). Has anyone heard of any?
    Can't afford to pay a fortune though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Cool to hear that anyone would like to learn our language. Be prepared to be hoarse for a few weeks though :) I've been told the 'g' sound is kind of hard to learn if it's not done early.

If you are doing it for the prospect of moving there, I'm not sure there's really a need. You can get away with speaking English very easily as most people there love speaking it. I even had some teammates who didn't speak it when I was still living and working there. So we did all team meetings in Dutch. If you have specific skills you might be ok getting a job without it.

The government there has courses as well, where they teach both the language and the workings of government and public services. I believe they are free (they're also mandatory for non-EU citizens).

But getting back to your question, here in Galway I've never seen one, not that I've looked for them of course, but I probably would have noticed if I saw it advertised. I googled it briefly but only found the NUIG link biko has already mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Cool to hear that anyone would like to learn our language. Be prepared to be hoarse for a few weeks though :) I've been told the 'g' sound is kind of hard to learn if it's not done early.

If you are doing it for the prospect of moving there, I'm not sure there's really a need. You can get away with speaking English very easily as most people there love speaking it. I even had some teammates who didn't speak it when I was still living and working there. So we did all team meetings in Dutch. If you have specific skills you might be ok getting a job without it.

The government there has courses as well, where they teach both the language and the workings of government and public services. I believe they are free (they're also mandatory for non-EU citizens).

But getting back to your question, here in Galway I've never seen one, not that I've looked for them of course, but I probably would have noticed if I saw it advertised. I googled it briefly but only found the NUIG link biko has already mentioned.

I'm very seriously considering going there for a Postgrad, but I'd like to start learning soon to have an acceptable level. I know most people there speak english, but I'd like to learn another language anyway, and I won't really be eligible for much funding if I do go over there so I'd have to find work.
    I've been over a few times and have some friends who live in Drachten, so I've picked up the odd phrase (the usual Please, Thank You, I come from.., Sorry I don't speak Dutch etc ), but something more useful than 'Godverdomme' would be good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

try the bridge mills

Advertisement