Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

invention

Options
  • 06-12-2011 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

hi i have a idea for an invention its related to the motor industry im looking for a company/place to get a prototype made also have a few questions how to i trademark the item while getting the prototype made as in no one to steal my idea

the item is not on the market and is very practical every driver could use it and its a great invention for learner/younger drivers

next question sorry for being stupid as i dont have a clue were to begin
    once i have a prototype and a trademark or patent how do i sell to a company or do i sell it on ebay adverts,ie and such

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Once you have the patent and trademark you have two options, try sell it yourself or try and get someone else to take it on board and pay you a royalty. So you get a percentage based on every sale of the item.

Depending on what the item is you could approach car manufacturers if you think it is that big an idea or invention, if its something that can save lives then it definitely is something they will be interested in. If its something on a smaller scale then perhaps a car dealership might promote it with sales or driving schools and insurance companies if you are looking at the young/learner driver market. It depends on what the product is really. But it depends also if its something that's cost effective and can be retro fitted. I remember watching Shark Tank which is similar to Dragons Den but based in the US and there was a product on it called LifeBelt which I thought was fantastic and would definitely save young lives. Investors were jumping at getting in on it, but its all about having the right product. Look it up on you tube there's clips from the show.

If you think its a good idea but not to that scale then setup a website and promote it via that, then stick it on ebay but have your own website first off. Try promote it at motor shows and stuff like that maybe.

As regards the patent and trademark you would need to seek advice off a patent/trademark attorney. But that's going to cost a lot of money and only really worth doing if you are sure the idea is really as good as you think. You need to approach others and get their feedback and see if people in that industry agree and not just base it on friends and family and your own opinions as they are all going to be somewhat biased. Just get an NDA agreement organised and then get anyone you get to look at the product for you to agree to sign one of those but be aware most ideas that are good will always be copied or attempted to be copied along the line somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

thanks for all the info its a safety device of sorts .it can be used for all aged drivers but i would really market it at the younger driver , thats a good idea about the driving school as the product would benifit them the most i think as well as learner drivers but it has the potential to be bought by any driver young or old male or female

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

You may want to spend a bit of time researching to see if there's already a patent that would cover your idea that just isn't being used/manufactured by anyone yet.. There's a lot of companies that do nothing but sit on patents waiting for someone to try and make a product that infringes the patent and then pursuing them for royalties and licensing fees.

Advertisement