Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

when was the last time you lost your temper in public

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

ElleEm wrote: »
    But the OP's niece WAS rude. I genuinely don't know one 5 yr old, and yes i do KNOW a lot, who would bump into someone without knowing they've done it.

I know hundreds that would!!!
    BUT for the most part (depending on the parent), they would get reprimanded for it, and then would go on to learn in time not to do it.
    A 5 year old may act perfectly mannerly one day, and then become excited or just forget etc... the next - it's called being a 5 year old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

cassi wrote: »
    :eek: I wish there was a scratchy head, confused looking smilie!!
    :confused:Like, wtf...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'm never lose my temper in public. It's not something I respect in other people.

Wow, the view from up here is awesome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I know hundreds that would!!!
    BUT for the most part (depending on the parent), they would get reprimanded for it, and then would go on to learn in time not to do it.
    A 5 year old may act perfectly mannerly one day, and then become excited or just forget etc... the next - it's called being a 5 year old!

So if, on a Monday they know they should apologise if they bump into someone, and a Tuesday they bump into someone and don't say sorry, it's excusable cos they're five? It's rude. At 5, they are old enough to know this.

So if, on a Monday they know they should apologise if they bump into someone, and a Tuesday they bump into someone and don't say sorry, it's excusable cos they're five? It's rude. At 5, they are old enough to know this.

Okay.
    As I said, come back to me when you actually have kids, not just when you know some kids - whole different ball game.
    You have no idea what you're talking about - the post above that I have quoted just proves it.
    I once thought I knew it all too - everyone does - until they have kids of their own, so I don't blame you really.
    Just trust me - 5 year olds are not old enough to be expected to be mannerly at all times - at 10, yes they really should know better, maybe even 8, but not 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Okay.
    As I said, come back to me when you actually have kids, not just when you know some kids - whole different ball game.
    You have no idea what you're talking about - the post above that I have quoted just proves it.
    I once thought I knew it all too - everyone does - until they have kids of their own, so I don't blame you really.
    Just trust me - 5 year olds are not old enough to be expected to be mannerly at all times - at 10, yes they really should know better, maybe even 8, but not 5.

All in your opinion. That's fine, but I am allowed to have my opinion too.
    I'm going based on what I know and you are going on what you know.

We'll agree to disagree :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

We must all hope that one day a man ejeculates inside of us so that we may know it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

We must all hope that one day a man ejeculates inside of us so that we may know it all.

That may have to happen several times before you do.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

That may have to happen several times before you do.:p

Haha, i hope so...........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Aurum

Okay.

I've just canvased the opinion of three women, all of whom have multiple children, and they all said that the 5 yr old was rude not to apologize, and if it was their child that they would have gently asked the child to apologize to the people that she bumped into because it's polite. Of course children make mistakes, but they aren't going to actually learn anything unless they're regularly corrected. Not angrily given out to, just told what they should have done. I'd agree with them (but I don't have children, so I don't know if my opinion is valid).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

What a disaster of a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

This is a great thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Keno 92 wrote: »
    What a disaster of a thread.

Agreed - it had potential and all.

Aurum wrote: »
    I've just canvased the opinion of three women, all of whom have multiple children, and they all said that the 5 yr old was rude not to apologize, and if it was their child that they would have gently asked the child to apologize to the people that she bumped into because it's polite. Of course children make mistakes, but they aren't going to actually learn anything unless they're regularly corrected. Not angrily given out to, just told what they should have done. I'd agree with them (but I don't have children, so I don't know if my opinion is valid).

Seriously, all 3 women said that their 5 year olds were mannerly at all times, even when excited (which is what we were talking about)?
    My god, you should tell them to alert the media as those kids have defied nature, gone against logic, plus gone against anything that all the leading psychologists/scientists/doctors/sociologists etc... have being saying for years!

Seriously, all 3 women said that their 5 year olds were mannerly at all times, even when excited (which is what we were talking about)?
    My god, you should tell them to alert the media as those kids have defied nature, gone against logic, plus gone against anything that all the leading psychologists/scientists/doctors/sociologists etc... have being saying for years!
    No, I quite clearly said that if it was their child they would have corrected him/her. I never said that their children were perfectly behaved, just that when they misbehave they make a point of correcting them and not shouting at the adults that their child clearly ran into.

No, I quite clearly said that if it was their child they would have corrected him/her. I never said that their children were perfectly behaved, just that when they misbehave they make a point of correcting them and not shouting at the adults that their child clearly ran into.

If you read my posts, you would have seen that I already said that the adult (op) was a different story entirely, and should have set a better example.
    That was not the issue I had.
    The issue I had was people expecting 5 year olds to be perfectly mannerly at all times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

cassi wrote: »
    :eek: I wish there was a scratchy head, confused looking smilie!!
    Feeona wrote: »
    i no egslty wot u meennn. jgshop, 78
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Yes, eat ALL of our shirts!

Apologies, that post was composed during one of my less lucid moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Rocky_Dennis

If you read my posts, you would have seen that I already said that the adult (op) was a different story entirely, and should have set a better example.
    The issue I had was people expecting 5 year olds to be perfectly mannerly at all times.

You are listening to people that know everything, people that have fairy tale lives where everything is perfect, they wouldn't dare to be rude to people in public, they always make the right choices, in fact they are just perfect, they have no flaws whatsoever, all they do is criticise everyone else. You should take their advice :rolleyes:

Ok, the central point that I was making was that the child ought to have apologized, or, if he/she forgot to (which is very possible and normal), ought to have been made to apologize by the adult accompanying him/her.

• Advertisement

Ok, the central point that I was making was that the child ought to have apologized, or, if he/she forgot to (which is very possible and normal), ought to have been made to apologize by the adult accompanying him/her.

Agreed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

he was blocking the door! in the rain! centeroftheuniverse much?
    if someones in my road im taking the 5 year olds advise and not apologising for wanting to get out of the rain.

last raised my voice in a coffee shop the other day over the volume of somebody's phone call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

If my kids did what the OPs did. l'd apologise to the couple for that incident. The kid didn't do it intentionally but it was wrong all the same. I would then explain to the kid what had happened was not a good thing.

Failure by an adult to accept responsibility for bad behaviour by a child is a reflection on the adult. There is no such thing as a bad dog, just a bad dog owner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

doesnt bother me if you think that

he was blocking the entrance, a child runs in from the rain and into him as he was blocking the way in, and he calls her a brat. I wasnt taking that when it was his fault
    You did say 5 feet inside the door. Unless your child is ver very large that isnt 'blocking the door' by any stretch. he still should take it easy on a 5 year old but blocking the door from 5 feet away...nope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Im a pretty easy going woman, but today i lost my temper and yelled at a man in the middle of a store! It had been a long time since ive gotten that annoyed.

Today my 5 year old niece had a flu shot and i promised her a cupcake from M N S as they are her fave. So as we were walking towards M N S it stared to rain so we ran in.

A man and a woman were standing about 5 feet inside the door blocking our way and my niece was running ahead of me and hit off the man by accident. He moved and she kept on running. As i followed her (he had not reliased i was with her ) he says "Jesus that brat has no manners, her mother would want to teach her how to say excuse me"

I had passed him about 2 seconds before i reliased what he had said, so i turned around and yelled out "Oh i am SO SORRY but if you were not taking up the whole doorway gossiping my niece would not have ran into you, so ill say it for her .... EXCUSE ME!!!!!!!!!!" . "You happy now!!!!!!!!!"

And i walked off, got some odd looks in the shop but i didnt care.
    Blocking the door from 5 feet away. They need to lay off the cup cakes!:D

if someones in my road im taking the 5 year olds advise and not apologising for wanting to get out of the rain.

last raised my voice in a coffee shop the other day over the volume of somebody's phone call.

Or, rather than barreling into someone, just be civil and say excuse me, they move and apologize, and neither person goes away angry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

oldyouth wrote: »
    If my kids did what the OPs did. l'd apologise to the couple for that incident. The kid didn't do it intentionally but it was wrong all the same. I would then explain to the kid what had happened was not a good thing.

Failure by an adult to accept responsibility for bad behaviour by a child is a reflection on the adult. There is no such thing as a bad dog, just a bad dog owner
    To say it was bad behaviour is a bit strong. Bad behaviour in my book is a child intentionally being bold. The kid was excited she was getting her bun (I'm sorry I don't care what they label it I'm not calling them cupcakes) and got carried away. It's perfectly natural. To call it bad behaviour or to suggest it's bad parenting is unfair.

Or, rather than barreling into someone, just be civil and say excuse me, they move and apologize, and neither person goes away angry?
    'civil' would be moving out of someones way when you know your blocking them and its obvious to the world thats where they want to go.

excuse me is obviously the choice when someone is unaware, indisposed, elderly ect.
    presumably this gent was staring out the door at the rain watching these people enter the shop.

Try this at home:
    You need:
    1 x tape measure
    1 x set of double doors, preferably shopping centre doors which have a HUGE opening
    2 x 5 year old children. 1 average sized and one fat.

Try standing 5 feet from the door in a variety of positions and invite a friend to stand along side you and measure the variety if distances made between you and the door opening.
    Now measure the circumference of the avearge sized kid and the fat kid.
    You actually wont be surprised by the result.:eek:

THE DOOR IS NOT BLOCKED!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

You sound fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Yesterday I suppose. Very dangerous icy roads near where I live, and of course I've two hills to get down before I can get to the main road. Two accidents in two days on the same stretch. I'd huge difficulty trying to keep control of the car, and going slowly and being careful not to brake suddenly was doing feck all, and the car began sliding a bit. I started to doubt whether it was a good idea to continue my journey, when a stupid bitch in a Santa Fe thought it was a good idea to ride the hole off my car. I wasn't speeding up for her, so she kept getting closer and closer, which made me even more anxious - because what my car was doing was unpredictable. This went on for a bit until I could find a safe place to pull over to let the ignorant bitch pass.

When I pulled over I rolled out the window, and she was looking in the window at me like I was the problem.. I shouted "Get the fúck off the back of my car, you stupid fúcking cúnt!".

I should have taken her reg, but I just saw red. Fine if she's on a mission to wrap herself around a fúcking tree, but she can keep me out of it.

• Advertisement

we are all picturing a million different m a s doors now. in my head he ( and his vile accomplice ) are in the road.

'civil' would be moving out of someones way when you know your blocking them and its obvious to the world thats where they want to go.

excuse me is obviously the choice when someone is unaware, indisposed, elderly ect.
    presumably this gent was staring out the door at the rain watching these people enter the shop.
    I'd tend to say excuse me whenever someone blocks my way, I don't really pause to analyze their motives. Besides, people rarely actively try to inconvenience other people, it's usually just thoughtlessness at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Regardless of whether the entrance was blocked or not, the OP's niece was rude in hitting off the man without acknowledging it, excited or not. and the OP was even worse for shouting about it and not seeing the point the man was making. If you bump into someone, you apologise- end of.

End of? so thats the end of the discussion? hmm a child of five who accidently knocks of a man who is blocking a public entrance, should they not have both said sorry? i am sure you would have the same manners if someone was parked in front of a public entrance and when you beeped he shouted from his window that you where a brat!!! if a child knocked of me it would not bother me in the slightest, i would rather see a child full of excitement and energy than a mannerly drilled drone. but i suppose it is how you view life.

One point, saying end of at the end of an opinion is hardly mannerly, rather a sign of someone who takes their own opinion above others without the care for rebuke.

Abi wrote: »
    Yesterday I suppose. Very dangerous icy roads near where I live, and of course I've two hills to get down before I can get to the main road. Two accidents in two days on the same stretch. I'd huge difficulty trying to keep control of the car, and going slowly and being careful not to brake suddenly was doing feck all, and the car began sliding a bit. I started to doubt whether it was a good idea to continue my journey, when a stupid bitch in a Santa Fe thought it was a good idea to ride the hole off my car. I wasn't speeding up for her, so she kept getting closer and closer, which made me even more anxious - because what my car was doing was unpredictable. This went on for a bit until I could find a safe place to pull over to let the ignorant bitch pass.

When I pulled over I rolled out the window, and she was looking in the window at me like I was the problem.. I shouted "Get the fúck off the back of my car, you stupid fúcking cúnt!".

I should have taken her reg, but I just saw red. Fine if she's on a mission to wrap herself around a fúcking tree, but she can keep me out of it.

[/QUOOh i went one better last year during the big freeze. I had left my kid to school (rural area) and was heading into town on leathal black iced narrow roads. I was driving with all due care, high gear , low revs etc etc and the line of cars coming toward was behaving perfectly. Nobody was above 20 km. The next thing this thick bastard in the oncoming traffic sticks his nose out to over take on black ice on a narrow road.
    I had no choice but to break and i porpoised all over the road narrowly missing side swiping all the oncoming cars or dumping my car in the ditch.. The asswipe didnt even have enough traction to get back onto his side of the road so i slithered to a halt nose to nose with him as he sat there spinning his wheels. Mild mannered me jumped out and called him every bastid cnuting facking arrsholes i could think of!!! He was on his way to school and muttered something about minding my language infront of his kids to which i replied "Why? You are obviously out to kill them any way!!!!!

billybudd wrote: »
    End of? so thats the end of the discussion? hmm a child of five who accidently knocks of a man who is blocking a public entrance, should they not have both said sorry? i am sure you would have the same manners if someone was parked in front of a public entrance and when you beeped he shouted from his window that you where a brat!!! if a child knocked of me it would not bother me in the slightest, i would rather see a child full of excitement and energy than a mannerly drilled drone. but i suppose it is how you view life.

One point, saying end of at the end of an opinion is hardly mannerly, rather a sign of someone who takes their own opinion above others without the care for rebuke.
    Only he wasnt. he as 5 feet away from the door.
    Did ya try the tape measure thing at all?

I'd tend to say excuse me whenever someone blocks my way, I don't really pause to analyze their motives. Besides, people rarely actively try to inconvenience other people, it's usually just thoughtlessness at most.

me too to be honest. good point about not actively being an obstruction.
    but we have all been in pubs where someone is just standing in the most stupid spot imaginable, like the only clear route for 200 people to get to the bathroom.
    Or, this is one I hate, pushing your way onto a dart as soon as the doors are open..... thats really whats fueling my support for this poor aunty who only wanted to start an interesting thread.

not arsed apologising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭btard

The last time I lost my temper was when someone almost ran me over at a pedestrian crossing.

I pressed the button, waited for the green man to light up and started to walk across the road. I got half way across to where there's a little island in the middle of the road and was about to continue walking when someone decided to take advantage of the fact that all the other cars were stopped and flew around the corner. I was going to keep walking, stupidly thinking that they wouldn't actually run over someone. They didn't stop though so I had to jump back onto the island. When I did get across I shouted at them "you fucking idiot" and pointed at the light which was still red.

The very same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I lost my temper big time. Swore at him at the top of my voice as he screeched down the road. The total ignorance of some drivers beggars belief. I'm not surprised there are so many deaths on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Im a pretty easy going woman, but today i lost my temper and yelled at a man in the middle of a store! It had been a long time since ive gotten that annoyed.

Today my 5 year old niece had a flu shot and i promised her a cupcake from M N S as they are her fave. So as we were walking towards M N S it stared to rain so we ran in.

A man and a woman were standing about 5 feet inside the door blocking our way and my niece was running ahead of me and hit off the man by accident. He moved and she kept on running. As i followed her (he had not reliased i was with her ) he says "Jesus that brat has no manners, her mother would want to teach her how to say excuse me"

I had passed him about 2 seconds before i reliased what he had said, so i turned around and yelled out "Oh i am SO SORRY but if you were not taking up the whole doorway gossiping my niece would not have ran into you, so ill say it for her .... EXCUSE ME!!!!!!!!!!" . "You happy now!!!!!!!!!"

And i walked off, got some odd looks in the shop but i didnt care.

Did you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I hate deliberately going out of your way to hold the door for someone and they then act like you're invisible,not acknowledging.

One day coming out of the bank on College Green I stood holding the door for about 5 seconds as a woman approached. Didn't say a word to me as she went through.

I just shouted ''You're very welcome'' while wishing I could go back in time and slam it in her face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Okay.

That is one of the most condescending posts I have seen in a long time.

I have a child that age so I know best. No matter what anyone else says, even if they have kids or have asked people with kids, they just don't know. Because I have kids. So I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I hate deliberately going out of your way to hold the door for someone and they then act like you're invisible,not acknowledging.

One day coming out of the bank on College Green I stood holding the door for about 5 seconds as a woman approached. Didn't say a word to me as she went through.

I just shouted ''You're very welcome'' while wishing I could go back in time and slam it in her face

That is something that really breaks me up and happens way too often, but I still hold the bloody things open:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Kind of lost my temper shopping tonight with my very fashion conscious 10 yr old.
    She finally found an outfit she liked after hours searching. One left in her size and as we walk towards the check out I notice there was a stain on it but as it was the last one I asked the girl for some discount - she agrees to give me 20% off. I'm about to pay when my girl says (rather loudly) 'No mam, that was me, I wiped my chocolatey hands on it':confused:. I just left the outfit and walked away. Didn't care about the bloody discount but ffs 3.5 hours for one outfit and she wipes her friggin hands in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Would you care to quote your sources? Who are these leading psychologists, scientists, doctors and sociologists? And you did say all so I presume you have a nice list of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Loopy wrote: »
    Kind of lost my temper shopping tonight with my very fashion conscious 10 yr old.
    She finally found an outfit she liked after hours searching. One left in her size and as we walk towards the check out I notice there was a stain on it but as it was the last one I asked the girl for some discount - she agrees to give me 20% off. I'm about to pay when my girl says (rather loudly) 'No mam, that was me, I wiped my chocolatey hands on it':confused:. I just left the outfit and walked away. Didn't care about the bloody discount but ffs 3.5 hours for one outfit and she wipes her friggin hands in it.

never mind you not getting your discount... you left the shop knowing she'd made **** of an item and you didn't pay for it!?!? :confused::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Loopy wrote: »

At least she is honest. why in gods name was she eating chocolate while trying on clothes, you could have bought it and washed it.

never mind you not getting your discount... you left the shop knowing she'd made **** of an item and you didn't pay for it!?!? :confused::mad:

Yep.

Would you care to quote your sources? Who are these leading psychologists, scientists, doctors and sociologists? And you did say all so I presume you have a nice list of them.

Well I have studied both psychology and sociology at university level, and social studies at fetac level, so in fairness I'd really be here all day.
    Let's just say that it's the vast majority of them!
    Well any of them that have studied children.

Anyway, whoever said I was being condescending, well yes, I probably was!
    Meh :)

Something just occurred to me though - I didn't think at the time that I could have been speaking to someone who is unable to have kids, or maybe lost a kid when it was young etc...
    I probably wasn't, but I do realise now that that would have been very offensive, and it was downright mean of me to say such a thing without thinking.

I'm not apologising for my point, but how I phrased it could really have hurt someone, so I am sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

Eh, this is the 5 year old you're talking about yeah? :rolleyes:
    At 5 they are learning manners, but you cannot expect them to have manners!
    An adult is a different story though, especially one who should be setting an example.

Aw are you serious? Of course five year olds can have proper manners! They're not toddlers!

Little kid who I babysit regularly; he's only 5, and a couple of days ago I was picking him up from rugby (my Mum gave us a lift).
    After he was like "can you tell your mum that I said thank you for picking me up". He's such a cutie! But it's called being raised well. I'm actually surprised you do have kids, because they're much smarter and more capable than you'd think.

hondasam wrote: »
    At least she is honest. why in gods name was she eating chocolate while trying on clothes, you could have bought it and washed it.

I didn't know she had eaten chocolate.
    And after trying on about 30 outfits I was fit to fucking kill someone so logic went out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

A few weeks ago I was walking my dog in a suburban park, when I let him off the leash to do the business. Fenton is a labrador and usually very obedient, but there was a large herd of deer that he spotted and started to chase towards a busy road. I chased after him in vain hope that I could catch him but it was hopeless. I let out a frustrated "Jesus Christ" on a couple of occasions.

It was the first time in a while I got angry in public, but I'm pretty sure no-one was there to witness it.

Advertisement