Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good things to do in Dublin, at night, for free...

Options
  • 06-12-2011 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what ideas people have for ways of spending an evening and not spending money. Staying in not an option.

Suppose the days of parking on Dollymount or in the Phoenix Pk are a bit behind me but any other ideas welcome, please bare in mind these windy cold nights... :D

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Dunsink Observatory but you have to email them for tickets.

the star gazers have loads of free information nights around Sandymount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Now that Meeting House Square has got new mega umbrellas installed you should be able to catch a free film or concert in Meeting House Square. Just wrap up warm and bring the hot chocolote..........or something a little stronger if your prefer.
    They have some films on for Christmas but the Summertime is the best when they usually show some excellent films. the odd time you might get a complimentary drink too ;)
    You can pick up free tickets in "the Culture Box" in temple Bar.
    http://blog.templebar.ie/?m=201112

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Thanks lads, really trying to build up a vocabulary of choice here :)

Never heard of that Dunsink one, is it Finglas?? also MHS option seems good but like you say ideally a summers night, not sure i could stand it this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

Jay D wrote: »
    Just wondering what ideas people have for ways of spending an evening and not spending money. Staying in not an option.
    At this time of year all ye can do for nothing is walk walk walk. At least the shops are warm. Or you could visit friends. Or join a group singing Xmas songs for charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

OP: What are your interests?

My hubby has attended free poetry readings in the Unitarian Church in Dublin.
    Might not be your thing but they have the odd free reading where you can attend for free.
    http://www.poetryireland.ie/whats-on/

As for the outdoor films. If you pack the flask of hot chocolate, dress warm and bring somebody to cuddle up to ..it can be a very romantic evening for free ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Cheers Gigino like i know all that I'm not a stranger to the place but there has to be more I'm missing out on. I hope so anyway.

Hmmm not sure poetry is what I'm looking for although the second idea kind of hits home a bit Sundew. Just social things that don't involve the norm. By free I suppose i meant just good fun things to do that don't involve shopping, pubs, but more active kind of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭StanMcConnell

Exchange Dublin in Temple Bar always have free events.
    i recommend Milk & Cookie Stories this Tuesday; it's a open-mic story telling night with free hot drinks and many, many, home-made cookies.

www.exchangedublin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

Thanks for starting this thread OP... It's nice to know of alternative ways to spend an evening other than in a pub..
    There's a free acoustic concert in Brick Alley Cafe in Temple Bar every thursday.. starts around 8.30 or so.
    I'm quite pleased to find out about the outdoor cinema idea, sounds like a lovely way to spend an evening.. i shall have to invest in a good flask and a warm blanket.. and find me a woman to share it with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd post here instead of starting a new one. I am looking for fun things to do on a Friday or Saturday Night in Dublin City that don't are not in pubs or nightclubs.

I saw a few good suggestions so far but they seem to be more of a summer activity. I do however suggest the Ghostbus Tour, thats a good laugh but other than that I'm plum outta suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I suggest subscribing to this free event guide. It pops into your inbox once a week.

http://www.dublineventguide.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement