Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal threat for debt I don't owe

• 06-12-2011 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

Received a letter today from "Everyday Finance Limited" alleging that I owe a debt in excess of €500 to HFC Bank Ltd - a bank I never heard of before. Tried to contact the company but was unable to get through by phone.

The letter threatens that if I don't respond within 5 days they may institute legal proceedings or instruct somebody to call to my house.

I have checked the details of the company on Financial Regulator's site -http://registers.financialregulator.ie/PreRenderedReports/1001.pdf and none of those listed are familiar to me. Having searched the web it would appear that this particular company are heavily involved in financing furniture and electrical goods for a number of chains operating in Ireland, none of whom I have ever made a purchase from.

The letter itself appears to be a photocopy, the account numbers are not familiar to me and I am worried that either my identity was used to make a purchase or alternatively the letter itself is fraudulent.

Has anybody got any experience of this company, or can anybody advise what my best course of action is?

I am quite worried that they will call to my house and already I'm not sleeping hence the 1.15am post

Thanks, D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

It sounds really dodgy to me to be honest. I would show the letter to the police and prehaps a copy to the bank to have a look at.
    Ring the financial ombudsman in the morning and explain your situation and the letter you recieved and I think the combination of all three (Gardaí/bank/Ombudsman) should be able to provide you with a better picture of what to do next or at least point you in the right direction.
    To be honest I wouldnt worry too much due to the dodgy nature but I would advise contacting one or all of the above.
    Hope it helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gc1971

dubdeb,

I used HFC Bank years ago for buying goods from Harvey Norman. They were known for doing these 0% finance deals so I know they're definitely a legit bank. I'd get onto them and verify if this is a genuine letter or not. Try get as much info as possible then report it to the Gardai like biomed32 suggested. Hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

dubdeb wrote: »
    Hi,

Received a letter today from "Everyday Finance Limited" alleging that I owe a debt in excess of €500 to HFC Bank Ltd - a bank I never heard of before. Tried to contact the company but was unable to get through by phone.

The letter threatens that if I don't respond within 5 days they may institute legal proceedings or instruct somebody to call to my house.

I have checked the details of the company on Financial Regulator's site -http://registers.financialregulator.ie/PreRenderedReports/1001.pdf and none of those listed are familiar to me. Having searched the web it would appear that this particular company are heavily involved in financing furniture and electrical goods for a number of chains operating in Ireland, none of whom I have ever made a purchase from.

The letter itself appears to be a photocopy, the account numbers are not familiar to me and I am worried that either my identity was used to make a purchase or alternatively the letter itself is fraudulent.

Has anybody got any experience of this company, or can anybody advise what my best course of action is?

I am quite worried that they will call to my house and already I'm not sleeping hence the 1.15am post

Thanks, D

A scam. If you call the Garda's i'm sure there are alot of people that have gotten the same letter. I'm sure your not 'the special one'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Well I used to work for them a few years ago and HFC is legit. As for the other company I really can't comment. Best bets are to either ignore it if you're fairly sure it's fake or else go to the Gardai as others have suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Get in touch with HFC and explain the situation. You need to determine if there has been a case of identity theft.

• Advertisement
Advertisement