Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Around Busaras?

Options
  • 06-12-2011 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭

Hiya, I booked a hostel nearby Busaras and will be getting there at about 2am-- is it safe to walk around in that area at that time (from O Connell Street) or is it a bit dodgy and should I get a taxi instead? :S I'll be with my boyfriend, but we'll have suitcases and whatnot with us
    Many thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Bit dodge, to be honest most likely be fine but i'd get a taxi just incase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Bigtoe107 wrote: »

Really poor advice; there won't be a soul knocking about let alone someone who'd rob you. Just walk down North Earl St and Talbot St; it's about a 4 minute walk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

latenia wrote: »
    Really poor advice; there won't be a soul knocking about let alone someone who'd rob you. Just walk down North Earl St and Talbot St; it's about a 4 minute walk.

Absolutely, or down Abbey Street following the LUAS tracks. Most of the folk you'll see about are guards and they will be going to the HUGE Garda station right beside Busaras and your hostel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Are ye sure? :S I'm a bit nervous about it cos I've seen a lot of winos around there and that was during the day...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Bigtoe107 wrote: »

scaremongering at its highest.

its fine around there escpecially at 2am
    Siuin wrote: »
    Are ye sure? :S I'm a bit nervous about it cos I've seen a lot of winos around there and that was during the day...

sure they would all be asleep by that time and even if they werent they would have no interest in you whatsoever a

• Advertisement

Many thanks everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Beware of the urban bogeyman but apart from that you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

it just *looks* like a sh!thole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

There are a lot of homeless people that hang around that area in the day as there are homeless hostels locally that they are kicked out of til the nighttime.

I used to work around there and regularly walked around the Abbey Street/ O Connoll street area very late at night.

I would say walk down the Luas track way from Abbey Street. It is very well lit, and it'll only take a few mins to walk down, and there are two of you. You should be fine, and Store Street Garda station is right at Busaras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

You have Store St Garda station across from you. I used to spend way too much time down around there. There are a few drunks but I have never heard of any violence. The only crime that I heard about was a girl got her stuff stolen from that hostel but that is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Follow the luas line on the right side if you get hassled you can go right and get a taxi on the quays easily enough, or go around the by the quay I know it has a bad rep but its less deserted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, I live in the area, and I would suggest that you get a taxi. It is not far. It won't cost you much. Yes, there are a fair amount of drunks and junkies in the area, but I am ok walking to and from O'Connell St when it is day time, or even late at night when there are still people out and about leaving pubs & restaurants, or going to and from Connolly Station and Busaras. At that times of the morning, the streets will be 99% deserted, but you really don't want to come across the other 1%.

If you walk briskly and confidently you are usually ok. You'll be going slowly and dragging luggage, and by doing so you are advertising the fact that you are tourists who do not know the area, and you may have passports or large amounts of cash on your person. I am honestly not trying to scare you. It's just that I have seen more than one set of tourists to Dublin wandering around the area with maps in their hands, looking lost. I try to help them out when I can, but they really are sitting ducks for someone up to no good. Why take that risk just to save a fiver?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    OP, I live in the area, and I would suggest that you get a taxi. It is not far. It won't cost you much. Yes, there are a fair amount of drunks and junkies in the area, but I am ok walking to and from O'Connell St when it is day time, or even late at night when there are still people out and about leaving pubs & restaurants, or going to and from Connolly Station and Busaras. At that times of the morning, the streets will be 99% deserted, but you really don't want to come across the other 1%.

If you walk briskly and confidently you are usually ok. You'll be going slowly and dragging luggage, and by doing so you are advertising the fact that you are tourists who do not know the area, and you may have passports or large amounts of cash on your person. I am honestly not trying to scare you. It's just that I have seen more than one set of tourists to Dublin wandering around the area with maps in their hands, looking lost. I try to help them out when I can, but they really are sitting ducks for someone up to no good. Why take that risk just to save a fiver?

I think you're right-for some reason, I'm just always the one who gets targeted by weirdos, even during the daytime, so probable best to just get a taxi! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I think you're right-for some reason, I'm just always the one who gets targeted by weirdos, even during the daytime, so probable best to just get a taxi! Thanks!

it'll be like walking through a graveyard at that time of the morning but as said above, for the sake of 7 quid just get a taxi... also, by getting a taxi you wont be one of those annoying people dragging their suitcases down the road while everyone is trying to sleep...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

there are a lot of scumbags in the area, by day and by night. a lot of normal people around as well and the area is also touristy. as others have pointed out there are a number of police about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

it just *looks* like a sh!thole

and the hostel itself is down a dark alley way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Fuinseog wrote: »
    there are a lot of scumbags in the area, by day and by night. a lot of normal people around as well and the area is also touristy. as others have pointed out there are a number of police about.

It is a ghost town at night and very early morning. Coming back from the airport at 6am last week, I walked from Busaras to O'Connell St. Not a single person around, discounting the Metro people. And they don't bite.

Advertisement