Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Bord Gais, am I reading this wrong?

Options
  • 06-12-2011 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Our Gas Boiler started leaking water last night, so we turned it off and I logged a repair call with Bord Gais this morning. It was last serviced in September, as part of their Boiler Care Bronze package.

I was told this morning that the earliest they can have someone with us is Friday, which means 4 days and nights without heat. I pointed out to them that the Boiler Care Bronze package includes 'Priority next working day appointments for breakdowns'. They said only the Silver and Gold pacakges have that.

Here's their website, if you click on the arrow to learn more about Boiler Care Bronze, it clearly says that there's 'Priority next working day appointments for breakdowns'. It's one of the reasons I went with the package in the first place!

http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/hometeam/boiler-service/index.php?htql

So, am I reading it wrong here? I'm gonna contact their Customer Service in a little while and see what they say...

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

I read it the same way as you. Next day appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

It definitely says priority next working day appointments on the Bronze package. the only differences Silver and Gold add are free labour/parts and labour

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kennykill

If your not already convinced I can confirm it too! Get them on the phone and let them have it. Warn them you'll contact Consumer Rights

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭jasonb

Nice to know I'm not losing it! On to them at the moment ( well, on hold... ).

J.

So, basically, the Next Working Day option isn't covered in the Bronze Package, only the Silver and Gold. The Terms & Conditions of each package, which I've now read, confirms this.

According to Bord Gais, the fact that the website says it's included in the Bronze package is an error and they're going to get the website updated asap...

J.

• Advertisement

That's a bit unfair. Can you take a screen shot of the webpage and contact consumer rights? Mightn't be worth the hassle but it seems like a case of false advertisment? Then again, the old "terms and conditions apply" line might snag you!

Hard luck though, especially seeing as the reason you went for the package was because of what was advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I'd still lodge a formal complaint. It's not your fault the website was in error

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Then get a full refund on the cost of the boiler service, based on the fact that they miss sold it to you in the first place by false advertising. Get the NCA in on that one by copying them in any communication. Then ring around to find a plumber that can come out to fix it without delay. Tell BG to go stuff themselves with their 4 day wait.

jor el wrote: »
    Then get a full refund on the cost of the boiler service, based on the fact that they miss sold it to you in the first place by false advertising. Get the NCA in on that one by copying them in any communication. Then ring around to find a plumber that can come out to fix it without delay. Tell BG to go stuff themselves with their 4 day wait.

If you go that route make sure it's a Bord Gais certified repair man or it will be even more hassle! I think you might have a case. Can you remember if when buying the package you had to tick a box saying you agree to the terms and conditions?

Pretty certain I agreed to the Terms and Conditions alright, though I'll need to check the paperwork when I get home.

Another factor, from what I've heard talking to someone who knows a bit about boilers, is that it looks like our boiler might be dead. So I don't think it's a case of repair, it looks like we need a new one. Don't have the money for that, so going with Bord Gais' interest free over 2 years scheme might be our only option. If that's the case, I don't want to tell them to stuff themselves just yet...

J.

• Advertisement

Did the service guy say anything to that effect when he came out in September? I wonder if it's something that could have been spotted but wasn't? I'm clutching at straws here but if there's a way to save the pain of buying a new one I hope you can find it! Not the best timing for it to pack in (if that's the situation with it).

If you ticked a terms and conditions line then they might get you that way, as you've said it's in the T&C and they can say that you haven't read them properly. It's such a bitchy way of doing business. I do technical writing and it's the same with banks, utilities, phone companies. The language used and the way the text is set out is designed for lawyers, not joe soaps. That way it deters us common folk from reading them fully and they can pull you on it if you challenge something. Banks are notorious for it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭coolabula

If it was there error you would think they would give you the service as a gesture of goodwill.
    I had an issue with my bank previously, raising charges and not informing me, they said all the information was on the website and when I wrote a letter to the manager and included a screenshot of the homepage, my money was refunded.
    It might be worth your while speaking to a manager, if thats still an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Had a quick look and it appears that the Bronze Ts&Cs simply omit the 24 hour policy that's listed in clause 1.5 of the Silver one. As such they don't conflict at all with the 24 hour promise they listed on the website. I wouldn't be inclined to let this one go yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

If it's a Potterton then that's no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

jor el wrote: »

OP make sure you get a registered gas installer.

You'll find them listed here:
    http://www.rgii.ie/

Just a quick update on this.

I rang a different company and they've someone coming out to have a look, but they ( and anyone else I've talked to ) reckon it's the Heat Exchanger and as that's a fair bit of money. So them coming out to have a look is more to confirm that and to get the ball rolling with regards to replacing the boiler. The price they've quoted me, for what I've read is a good boiler, is cheaper than Bord Gais.

I also rang Bord Gais and told them to cancel the repairman for tomorrow, I just wasn't willing to wait 4 days and pay €90 for someone to tell me 'it's the heat exchanger'. They have updated their website, instead of saying 'Priority Next Working day appointments for breakdowns' it now says 'Call out appointments within 48 hours for breakdowns'. Which, to be honest, still isn't what we were getting ( I rang on Tuesday and was told Friday for the repairman ). I imagine the 'within 48 hours' is their standard, as they view the 'Bronze' service as a service and nothing else ( whereas the Silver and Gold is a service and then preferential treatment throughout the rest of the year ). Either way, I won't be getting a service off them again.

With a bit of luck we'll get a new boiler in fairly quickly and have heat in the house again. Thanks for all your advice!

J.

Advertisement