Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CWPS - obligations

• 06-12-2011 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi there,

Does anyone know if an employer in construction is obliged to register for CWPS and obliged to deduct the required amount from employees pay? + remit the employer portion of course.

As far as I am aware then there is no need if staff are under 20 but where I am confused is when there are staff working that wish to have no pension deducted, from chatting to CWPS office they said that they have no choice, while this may be correct, I assume it is, it seems odd to force someone to contribute to a pension. Especially when employees in other industries can opt in or out of a pension scheme operated by employer.

I know of a lad with 3 employees only and has never operated the scheme, it seems now that he may be liable.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

Once any employee is over 20 & working on a construction site they have be put into cwps regardless of whether they want to be in it, doesn't matter if they have a private pension or not.

Even if they only work 1 day in any given week they still have to be paid in. which in my humble opinion is wrong but however

hope this helps.

Sc024

trg wrote: »
    Hi there,

Does anyone know if an employer in construction is obliged to register for CWPS and obliged to deduct the required amount from employees pay? + remit the employer portion of course.

As far as I am aware then there is no need if staff are under 20 but where I am confused is when there are staff working that wish to have no pension deducted, from chatting to CWPS office they said that they have no choice, while this may be correct, I assume it is, it seems odd to force someone to contribute to a pension. Especially when employees in other industries can opt in or out of a pension scheme operated by employer.

I know of a lad with 3 employees only and has never operated the scheme, it seems now that he may be liable.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Not really suited to the Construction & Planning forum. I'll move this to the Work and Jobs forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

This is directly related to, and specific to the construction industry. Why move it to a different forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

It is actually construction specific - can it be moved back?

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This is directly related to, and specific to the construction industry. Why move it to a different forum?
    trg wrote: »
    It is actually construction specific - can it be moved back?

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas??
    The core issue of the query is employment and payments. Hence it is not appropriate for the C & P forum.

Both of you should read the C & P forum charter and leave the decision making to the moderators.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

I thought i've already answered your question. Anyone over 20 & under 65 who is working on a construction site . Ie not a member of office/admin staff or a director of the company is required to be entered into this scheme. No if's but's or maybe's. Its their way or the high way.

So in essence yes they are obliged to operate the scheme

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas??[/QUOTE]

Is this not what your asking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

Yes SC024 you had answered the query, many thanks. Took the eye off the ball there.

The core issue as I see it is employment and payments very specifically to construction workers only. I appreciate decision making is made by moderators however I assume moderators are not beyond questioning, which is merely what I did based on my opinion.

Advertisement