Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billing lazy agent/landlord for repairs

Options
  • 06-12-2011 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi there,

We have an awful problem with dampness in our apartment at the moment, especially in one of the bedrooms. One wall in the bedroom adjoining with our balcony outside is constantly damp, moreso when it rains, and as a result is now going black with mold. The same wall has some gaps in it where it meets the window sill and these leak heat from the apartment and let the wind in when its windy. Some slugs have also managed to get in this way too. A lot of condensation also gathers around the window frame and on the window as the frame is made of metal. It and the window sill are soaking in condensation every morning, despite us leaving the vents open most of the time.
    The same damp wall adjoining with the balcony is in the living room, and this too has sprouted mold, and once again, the same condensation problem exists at the living room balcony doors as there is no vent there.
    Finally, we also have mold on the bathroom ceiling which has been painted over a couple of times in the past year. Clearly the extractor fan isn`t working properly there or the ceiling is in bad condition.
    All of the above has been texted to the agent 4 weeks ago and then again recently, 1 week ago. The apartment complex handyman called around last week to look at it, but says he has to wait for permission from agent/landlord to act, and even then, she probably won`t agree to fixing the underlying problem with the damp wall adjoining the balcony.
    So, should I act myself, by hiring someone to do the job and then deduct the costs from my rent? Or wait indefinately until the handyman does a cosmetic job and still leaves the main problems unaddressed? Have I a right to deduct such costs from my rent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Never ever act on major repairs without informing the LL.

You have to get them to fix this issue and it needs to be done properly. A wall as you described must have serious problems now.

This is not a small damp issue as normally descibed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

In fairness he doesn't seem to be describing the usual problems but a much more serious problem with exterior walls needing to be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Evolving

Thanks both of you. Read your posts odds_on. Informative, but not applicable to the main issue, the damp damaged exterior wall.
    Of course, making use of the ventilation that exists in individual rooms, window vents, extractor fans etc is a must to avoid condensation, but what if such ventilation is inadequate as appears to be the case for our condensation problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Would you not move?

Landlords will not improve their properties if people keeping rent substandard properties from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

Sorry to hijack your thread OP, but I'm in a similar position, so didn't want to start a new thread.

The extractor fan in our apartment is broken, and the model of fan that was installed is no longer being made/ repaired.
    The apartment only has 1 outside wall, so a door opens from the living room/ kitchen on to the balcony, and another door opens from the bedroom on to the same balcony.
    We have a bathroom and laundry room which are completely enclosed, and now have no means of ventilation, which is causing damp/ mould problems.

The landlord has been given options/ prices for a new fan, but seems to be dragging his heals in sorting it all out.
    Can anyone tell me, is there a legal requirement for correct ventilation to be in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

Fiii wrote: »
    We have a bathroom and laundry room which are completely enclosed, and now have no means of ventilation, which is causing damp/ mould problems.

The landlord has been given options/ prices for a new fan, but seems to be dragging his heals in sorting it all out.
    Can anyone tell me, is there a legal requirement for correct ventilation to be in place?

Housing Standards (Rental Properties) Regulations (2008) state that:

"Ventilation
    9. (1) Every room used, or intended for use, by the tenant of the house as a habitable room shall have adequate ventilation.
    (2) All means of ventilation shall be maintained in good repair and working order.
    (3) Adequate ventilation shall be provided for the removal of water vapour from kitchens and bathrooms."

You need to provide your Landlord with written notification of the required repairs, outline that he is breaking the above housing standard regulations, and give him a specific date by which the issues must be satisfactorily resolved.
    If that date passes, and the LL has not sorted the issues, you can issue the relevant notification of termination and can move out. This applies regardless of what type of lease you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

variety wrote: »
    Housing Standards (Rental Properties) Regulations (2008) state that:

"Ventilation
    9. (1) Every room used, or intended for use, by the tenant of the house as a habitable room shall have adequate ventilation.
    (2) All means of ventilation shall be maintained in good repair and working order.
    (3) Adequate ventilation shall be provided for the removal of water vapour from kitchens and bathrooms."

You need to provide your Landlord with written notification of the required repairs, outline that he is breaking the above housing standard regulations, and give him a specific date by which the issues must be satisfactorily resolved.
    If that date passes, and the LL has not sorted the issues, you can issue the relevant notification of termination and can move out. This applies regardless of what type of lease you have.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a mill!

Advertisement