Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wipping a harddrive quistion

• 06-12-2011 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hey folks!
    im building a computer and have had handed it into a local business chain in waterford that build computers for you. my quistion is that when you you wipe your hard drive if the operating system still left. the reason im asking is because after handing the computer into the store they asked me if there was anything on the hard drive i wanted to keep like photos etc and i said no as there was nothing that did not need saving. my mother got a phone call about needing windows 7 and it will cost 130 euro but if it was on it when i gave it to them should i need to pay them for it... im going down soon to collect the computer so i need to know asap.
    Cheers in return

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Well you'll need to pay if your mother gave the go ahead to install it as they've installed a fresh copy of Windows7 with a licence which is now used, ie activated on your PC.

If you have your own licence and it isn't OEM you should have supplied the shop with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Sounds like you were had.

When wiping a drive everything goes. Everything. The operating system can be loaded on to a hard drive, but I think in this case they took the mick with you and took you literally as format the entire drive. So now they're looking for more money off you by loading up an operating system.

If you already own the disks for windows 7 then you can load it on yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭TheFishingKid

well the computer isnt for me,
    Its for the little teenage brother but there just waiting for the go ahead to put it on the system but looks like ill be installing the to the computer myself!
    there just a bigger pain, ill stay away from them in future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Can't see anything wrong here. You're building a PC. Is that from scratch or not?

If not from scratch, and it had Windows on it previously, did you give them the CDs/DVDs that came with the PC with Windows on it? If not, and you asked them to wipe it and put Windows onto it, well they've wiped it, and will put Windows back onto it, but as €130 is about how much a full version of Windows 7 Pro costs... it seems they're not putting a pirate version on it for you.

I think there may have been some miscommunication between yourself and the shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

the_syco wrote: »
    Can't see anything wrong here. You're building a PC. Is that from scratch or not?

If not from scratch, and it had Windows on it previously, did you give them the CDs/DVDs that came with the PC with Windows on it? If not, and you asked them to wipe it and put Windows onto it, well they've wiped it, and will put Windows back onto it, but as €130 is about how much a full version of Windows 7 Pro costs... it seems they're not putting a pirate version on it for you.

I think there may have been some miscommunication between yourself and the shop?

+1 Sounds like an above-board business, the alternative is that they put an illegal copy of Windows on the machine. You did say that you were 'building' a PC, not just doing a cleanup and you did give the ok to wipe the hard drive.

They're well within their rights to ask you to pay for a licence if you can't provide one that came with the machine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement