Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of vapour barrier (if any) for shed/garage roof?

• 06-12-2011 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I need some advice, i have searched other questions here but i was getting confused. I am insulating a garage/shed, it has corrugated iron roof, i will be putting insulation up between the rafters and finishing it with 9mm ply. My question is, should i put a vapour barrier up before the insulation and should it be just a roll of plastic sheating or a breathable membrane? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

felt on the outside
    vapour barrier on the inside
    [/QUOTE]

So i should put felt up first, then the insulation, then a vapour barrier, then the plywood? Can the vapour barrier be just from a roll of plastic or should it be a breathable membrane?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think 1000 gauge builders plastic will do the job.

Thanks for the replys. I am going to stud out the walls, fit insulation between the studs and then 12mm ply over it, should i fit plastic behind the ply here also?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

So i should put felt up first, then the insulation, then a vapour barrier, then the plywood? Can the vapour barrier be just from a roll of plastic or should it be a breathable membrane?
    what are you putting in this shed?
    have you a heat source?
    have you ventilation?
    these answers will dictate the type/ importance of using an actual vapour barrier (which allows some moisture through) as opposed to a sheet of plastic that if sealed will capture and retain every drop of moisture

• Advertisement

It will be used as a workshop to do some woodwork. There is an oldish wood stove going into it. There is at least one vent in the wall, i'd have to have another look.

Advertisement