Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing Pains

Options
  • 06-12-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Did anyone or does anyone have a child with growing pains?

My 6 year old (going to the gp at 11) has bad leg pain. His dad suffered somehting bad with growing pains, ive never had them or seen anyone suffer with them. (im not 100% sure its growing pains so thats why im takng him to the gp)

Im not looking or medical advice just want to see what othe people did for their child to ease growing pains.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DeleveleD

I myself had those in my feet when I was in my teens and the last of the growth spurts came on.

My GP (back in Germany) prescribed me some medicine for rheumatism, which is mostly painkiller. Worked like a charm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

My brother suffered very badly with growing pains. At the time my folks talked to a few different people, GP's and nutritionists - my parents' didn't like the idea of medicating a child. Our family GP and the nutritionists all recommended that he took Cod Liver Oil (or fish oil), so he did.

He's in his early 30's now, but can still remember the pain and he recommends Cod Liver Oil. He says it made a huge difference within weeks and I remember him reminding my Mum to get it for him (even though he hated the taste of it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I used to get very bad growing pains in my legs around about 8 to 12 years old, i was so painful, I would often get very little sleep because I would have to keep moving my legs to help the pain. I was never given anything for it as far as I can recall, maybe some panadol when I was 12ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭loishasdied

i just happened to be reading about children being overtired recently and i read that there is a link between that and growing pains - maybe a few early nights would help? my niece gets them, and i did too and i think my mam used to give me a hot water bottle - a feeling of comfort/placebo if nothing else. hope the docs went ok

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Some people swear by hot water baths for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

My lad (9) used to get very bad growing pains when he was around 7 just before a big growth spurt. I'd give him a spoon of nurofen and heat some baby oil with lavender and massage his legs for him till the pain went away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I used to get growing pains... they were horrible.
    I don't really remember taking anything for them, maybe paracetmol, along with hot baths. They were really achey kind of pains, so heat did help if I remember correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Thanks for the replies, just back as he had to have X-rays they were all clear, so we are left with possible growing pains or possible muscle injury. Neurofen is recommended, I think I will try the cod liver oil and massage aswell not sure how his going to take it but I will try, I will give him a hot water bottle tonight aswell as a warm bath.

Thanks for he replies :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

my son gets them quite bad and has done since he was about 3, he's 6 now. he would wake up in the night screaming in pain, I would just give him a spoon of paralink and massage his leg until he fell back to sleep. now he's older he doesn't seem to get them as often as he did. They are very distressing though for both me and him. I never found anything that would prevent them though, so would be great if you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Fittle wrote: »
    My lad (9) used to get very bad growing pains when he was around 7 just before a big growth spurt. I'd give him a spoon of nurofen and heat some baby oil with lavender and massage his legs for him till the pain went away.

Wow, my mother normally told me to just quit whinging, would've liked a massage!! :)

I had an electric blanket and this used to help some bit, so hot water bottle would be a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Acoshla wrote: »
    Wow, my mother normally told me to just quit whinging, would've liked a massage!! :)

Aw, you poor little mite;) My lad used to get awful pains in his feet too - and within a week, he would have gone up a shoe size lol. I often used to joke with him, when he'd have pain in just one leg, that he'd wake up the next day with that leg longer than the other one!

I wonder if they only get them at a certain age though? He's 9 now and hasn't had growing pains in about 2 years, although he continues to grow!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

When I was very young I'd get them and remember my mom having to go out to the shops in the middle of the night to try find something to relieve the pain it was that bad. I don't remember getting them after the age of 8 though.

Well my young lad was better this morning, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Did anyone or does anyone have a child with growing pains?

My 6 year old (going to the gp at 11) has bad leg pain. His dad suffered somehting bad with growing pains, ive never had them or seen anyone suffer with them. (im not 100% sure its growing pains so thats why im takng him to the gp)

Im not looking or medical advice just want to see what othe people did for their child to ease growing pains.
    I had really bad pains in my feet and legs when I was younger. I had gone to a physiotherapist but they said there was nothing wrong and I had appointments in Temple St. as there is a history of arthritis in my family. Turned out to be nothing (this was around age 7 or 8). Then when I was 11 I went back and there wa actually something wrong with my feet and have specially made insoles. It really makes a difference.
    It could just be growing pains though. Try ice, I found that helped more than heat.

I had really bad pains in my feet and legs when I was younger. I had gone to a physiotherapist but they said there was nothing wrong and I had appointments in Temple St. as there is a history of arthritis in my family. Turned out to be nothing (this was around age 7 or 8). Then when I was 11 I went back and there wa actually something wrong with my feet and have specially made insoles. It really makes a difference.
    It could just be growing pains though. Try ice, I found that helped more than heat.

My husband and his sister both have special insoles, they get really painful feet.

I will keep an eye on it, at least xrays were clear.

Advertisement