Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be renewing your Health Insurance?

• 06-12-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

I recently received my renewal terms with my Health provider and it's increasing by €100 p/m to €250 p/m. My current feeling is that i am going to come off cover and leave my wife and kids on cover.
    In addition to this, it looks like the Budget is going to pull the government subsidy to public hospitals who wil now have to start charging private patients for the use of private beds (currently was no charge).
    The only result of this will be the providers having to pass on the cost to the consumers.

Given the other Insurances i'm currently paying for - Life cover/ Household insurance/ car insurances I feel that this is probably the one to do without personally and take my chances.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,384 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

QDog10 wrote: »
    I recently received my renewal terms with my Health provider and it's increasing by €100 p/m to €250 p/m. My current feeling is that i am going to come off cover and leave my wife and kids on cover.
    In addition to this, it looks like the Budget is going to pull the government subsidy to public hospitals who wil now have to start charging private patients for the use of private beds (currently was no charge).
    The only result of this will be the providers having to pass on the cost to the consumers.

Given the other Insurances i'm currently paying for - Life cover/ Household insurance/ car insurances I feel that this is probably the one to do without personally and take my chances.

Yea my quote has just gone from €600 -> €840 in one year. Its a difficult call whether to drop it or not. Definitely considering it.

Basically many of the people who are still fit and healthy will drop it and anyone who needs it will keep it. This will then push up the costs for the remaining people, leading to more people dropping it etc... it basically in a spiral downwards.

The only thing that is making people stick with it is the perception that our public health system is so poor. But if you have a heart attack/accident your going to be brought to the same A&E, see the same doctor etc, no mater what policy you do or don't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I really don't know....You know about 4/5 years ago I was only paying about 450 per year with vivas,now it'l be in the region of E1800 and won't stop there,I don't know. I'll look at lower plans,are they worth having?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,918 ✭✭✭billyhead

Does anyone know that if you receive your renewal notice now for next year i.e your premium runs from January 1st that if any increase announced by VHI during next year will not affect this premium (even though it is deducted electronically fro your wages) for the year because you have it in writing i.e the amount you are to pay for the year? Sorry if this sounds confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

billyhead wrote: »
    Does anyone know that if you receive your renewal notice now for next year i.e your premium runs from January 1st that if any increase announced by VHI during next year will not affect this premium (even though it is deducted electronically fro your wages) for the year because you have it in writing i.e the amount you are to pay for the year? Sorry if this sounds confusing.

I'm pretty sure the premium will be fixed for the year, regardless of any changes introduced

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Big chat on Newstalk this morning how it's all the young healthy people who'll desert the system thereby ruining the community rating model.
    With only the sick & elderly holding on to their policies premiums could double in a few years.
    That's the fear anyway, they have to find a way of keeping healthy people who don't claim in the system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

In the interests of fiscal adjustment, budgetry concerns and living within our means, health insurance is on the cutting table at chez MW3. Because we are now in the age group where waiting periods will make it impossible to consider reapplying in the future, we will now forever more be in the public system.

We have a few months left yet to consider our options but unless the lotto comes up trumps we have no choice. It's particularly maddening as we've paid the premiums for 20+ years and we'll be forced to leave now before we've gained anyof the advantages :( I know that that's the way insurance goes and I'm grateful not to have needed it, but it still rankles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Yes I will. Not a happy bunny, but I won't go without it

Advertisement