Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courtesy of RTÉ, Five Facebook Privacy Myths

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Not sure if I'd go along with all of this.

Your friends can post your location. True or false: False

Use of social location is rising. Look at your own timeline/newsfeed and take a look at the pages of various locations e.g. concert venues, retail and see the number of check ins. Also more and more people are using FB on mobile so tagging your location will increase (you can of course opt out of this as described).

Myth: Facial recognition technology is tagging pictures of you without permission True or false: False

It's only truely False if you de-activate it. It is or was on on by default but you will receice notification.

Myth: Third party software developers know who you are. True or false: True

It is true but all access to your information is through permission requests i.e. you have to accept the request. Also every app needs to have a privacy policy which you can read. Apps from reputable developers will only ask for permissions when needed and the minimum required to perform the application. Not that e-mail address is not part of "Basic Information" permission. This has to be requested separately. There are other permissions that can be requested e.g. access my check ins. You should always check what is really needed before proceeding.

Advertisement