Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Parking

Options
  • 06-12-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Does anybody know if there are plans to address the absolute MESS that is the parking on UCD campus?!

It seems ridiculous that, when they don't have enough parking to accommodate students on a daily basis, that they continue to host events from outside organisations and close car parks without warning.

I'm in a post-grad entry course and pay a significant amount of money in fees each year. It's soul destroying, fee paying or not, to have to turn back and go home simply because you didn't get in at 08:30 to get a parking space.

Even a warning when car parks will be closed would be, at a minimum, some demonstration from UCD that the students are taken into consideration?!

This doesn't even start to take into account the 'suit army' parking their cars their in the morning and getting the bus to work! One morning last year they had security check students cards from 07:30 and the car park was still half empty by 09:00!

Mragh rage! Any insight on future plans to address the parking issue would be appreciated! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I agree with you completely OP! We've always thought why they can't set up a barrier system that reads student / staff cards, else you have to take a ticket and pay for parking. It would certainly cut down on the park and riders. It's not as if any other University in Dublin offers free parking, so it would hardly be a revolutionary move.

Also, regarding the current situation, there are graduations on this week, so they have closed off the car park behind the O'Rilley hall, but ALSO the one behind engineering, so they have essentially closed thhe 2 biggest carparks on campus. Now, I wouldn't mind, after all, people and families going to graduations need to park somewhere, but the engineering car park was not used at all yesterday, it was still empty at 4pm! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

There's traffic notices on the UCD website here that have the car park closures. Staff get voicemails but I don't think there's anything specifically for students...

Parking controls and pay parking have always been opposed by staff unions, there was a debate over it a year or two ago about whether it was a "benefit in kind" that looked like something might happen but it seemed to just peter out. The whole campus was meant to go pay parking in 2008 iirc but that never happened either... Governing authority need to get it done but it doesn't seem to have been one of Hugh Brady's priorities.

If the multi stories ever appear, presumably there will be some sort of access control on them. Maybe.

I switched to bicycle a long while ago, better for the blood pressure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

Surely they are already being provided parking? And I'm sick of an "admin nightmare" being used as an excuse not to implement any measure that makes a bit of common sense. How we are not capable of implementing a functioning parking system is beyond me. Christ, we're meant to be producing the future academics of Ireland. It's actually embarrassing.

Why would it be an admin nightmare? Charge twenty (even fifty euro) a year and you get a student pass. Guests can get a guest pass from main reception or use pay and display. It would actually bring in a bit of money too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 badtinegirl

Could they not use the reg reading equipment thats at every gate? There must be someway. That said I dont want all the green space used as car parks. Maybe if they tried to reduce the numbers of people using cars to access the campus, like the bike to work scheme but for students. A shuttle bus to the LUAS and dart stations may help also.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kayotic18

after ucards have circulated for enough time, they can easily implement a swipe card system for the car parks, as they have the swipe system in place for printing. (same software, mostly same hardware(minus the barrier))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

To be honest parking in UCD is a lot better then Trinity, DCU, Galway or Cork so as much as I love to bitch about it, its not all that bad.

I am law, there are usually spaces around roebuck, those car parks out by the clonskeagh gate aren't always full either. I am as much as a criminal as anyone for hitting up Quinn and just giving up when there is no space there, but usually there is somewhere.

My biggest problem is the actual standard of parking by drivers. Those gravel car parks are unmarked because they're actually a little bit bigger that way, and because its the only way to designate them "temporary car parks". But it only really works if people line up properly. Nothing worse then seeing a space just too small for your car there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

If you are willing to walk 5-10 minutes you will get parking. Loads of spots over at the Montrose and that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

errlloyd wrote: »
    I am law

Look at Mr Ego. Not just studying law, he IS law :pac: :P

Typos rule

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Ohh my god there is nothing more annoying then gob****es who cannot park closer to the car next to them and thus creating a space less :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I-AM-THE-LAW.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

jenga-jen wrote: »
    I'm in a post-grad entry course and pay a significant amount of money in fees each year. It's soul destroying, fee paying or not, to have to turn back and go home simply because you didn't get in at 08:30 to get a parking space.

To be fair, you can always find a space if you look hard enough, there's no reason to just turn around! Sometimes it does take 40 mins-an hourish, but if you plan your journey to get to UCD for ten to the hour you shouldn't have much problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Does anybody know if there are plans to address the absolute MESS that is the parking on UCD campus?!

I don't think there is any such plan. Open to correction.

I think it's extremely arrogant for you to suggest that you pay more fees than another student in another course you are entitled to a car parking spot. You tuition fees pay for your tuition, everyone makes the same contribution to the facilities and infrastructure. Wether you're doing Gradmed or a MBA you're just another student, you are no better than anyone else.

In fact I find it amusing to be honest that someone who has gained entry to such an expensive and presumably exclusive course cannot come up with a way of accessing said course. How about you leave the car at home and get a bus? How about you drive to a bus stop on the ucd route? how about xyz?
    Even a warning when car parks will be closed would be, at a minimum, some demonstration from UCD that the students are taken into consideration?!

I don't know if the powers that be in UCD actually care about students all to much.
    This doesn't even start to take into account the 'suit army' parking their cars their in the morning and getting the bus to work! One morning last year they had security check students cards from 07:30 and the car park was still half empty by 09:00!

Is there no parking permit display system enforced in the car parks? Is it just staff who have permits. They do need to do a better job dissuading people from using UCD as a park and ride centre. TBH you might find a lot of the suit brigade are graduates.
    Mragh rage! Any insight on future plans to address the parking issue would be appreciated! :)

nope sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I think it's extremely arrogant for you to suggest that you pay more fees than another student in another course you are entitled to a car parking spot. You tuition fees pay for your tuition, everyone makes the same contribution to the facilities and infrastructure. Wether you're doing Gradmed or a MBA you're just another student, you are no better than anyone else.

In her defence, she never said that she was entitled to a parking space because she paid fees. She said it was crushing to not be able to find a spot. Which in fairness, it is. In fact she explicitly said 'It's soul destroying, fee paying or not'.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Even a warning when car parks will be closed would be, at a minimum, some demonstration from UCD that the students are taken into consideration?

they do post updates on the unicare facebook about closures etc if that is any use to you in the future!

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000928115402

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

You could always shell out €50 for one of these permits. In fairness though, as others have said, there are a huge amount of parking spaces in UCD. If more students/staff used public transport it wouldn't be so much of a problem for those who can't avail of public transport.

I really don't think those who use UCD as a park and ride facility are the main problem, if a problem at all. Can't find it now but there was a previous thread with actual figures for the numbers who use it as a park and ride and the numbers weren't really all that significant.

AFAIK there are/were plans to build multistorey car parks around the campus in order to replace the ground car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

Yi Harr wrote: »
    You could always shell out €50 for one of these permits. In fairness though, as others have said, there are a huge amount of parking spaces in UCD. If more students/staff used public transport it wouldn't be so much of a problem for those who can't avail of public transport.

I really don't think those who use UCD as a park and ride facility are the main problem, if a problem at all. Can't find it now but there was a previous thread with actual figures for the numbers who use it as a park and ride and the numbers weren't really all that significant.

AFAIK there are/were plans to build multistorey car parks around the campus in order to replace the ground car parks.

I work in a hotel in town, of the six staff on breakfast three park in UCD and get the bus in every morning. Seems fairly common amongst other staff in the city centre too.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

In fact I find it amusing to be honest that someone who has gained entry to such an expensive and presumably exclusive course cannot come up with a way of accessing said course. How about you leave the car at home and get a bus? How about you drive to a bus stop on the ucd route? how about xyz?

Wow... way to pick and choose on the old interpretation there Sid :o

To address your points:
    • I specified "fee paying or not" nullifying your rant about me being "arrogant". However, as someone struggling to get by after paying just shy of €14,000 for each year in college, it would be nice to be able to attend all of my scheduled classes without parking issues.**
    • I gained entry to my course because I sat an entrance exam and applied for accessible and unsecured loan. Not exactly exclusive, just necessary effort.
    • When I have long hours, with frequent off-site visits in the middle of the day and I require my car for day-to-day college activities, then its my prerogative (as it is for everyone fee paying and not who pay their contribution to facilities) to bring that car with me and expect due courtesy from the university where normal facilities are disrupted.

To those of you with info on permits and possible parking solutions thank you :)

I did my undergrad in DCU and there were free car parks at the rear of the campus which, although they filled up early, only required you to insert your student card to enter for no fee. There was also a multi-storey for approx €75 per year iirc if you needed it. This prevented anyone using the place for park and ride into town.

Surely a simple barrier which takes a student/staff card for no fee would deter park-and-ride offenders while avoiding the benefit in kind charge for staff?

Then again, with all this money and blatant disregard for other people that I allegedly have, I should probably just pay for a permit and stop whining ;)

** once again, not at the expense of non-fee-paying students. Just making the point that it's an added sting in the tail! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭UnawareCaesar

Yi Harr wrote: »

I'm able to get public transport in but its a choice between a 1:30 bus journey or an hour in the mornings and a half hour when traffic is light in a car. Also the bus goes every hour on the hour from the far side of campus. Makes more sense for me to drive but where people are within 10 mins or so cycling distance or along a regular bus route I don't understand driving in, doesn't make sense to me at all.

I'd love to know how anyone knows exactly how many people are parking in UCD an getting the bus to town, can't see there being an accurate way other than asking everybody who parks there and them being completely honest.

I specified "fee paying or not" nullifying your rant about me being "arrogant".

Why mention it at all, under than to try and make you sound more entitled.
    However, as someone struggling to get by after paying just shy of €14,000 for each year in college, it would be nice to be able to attend all of my scheduled classes without parking issues.

again you think you're entitled to special treatment because you're paying more. do you think the people in undergrad medicine are less entitled to attend lecture because they're not paying your kind of fees.

I
    gained entry to my course because I sat an entrance exam and applied for accessible and unsecured loan. Not exactly exclusive, just necessary effort

Do you know what the word exclusive means? I think the statistics fairly sound prove that the waste majority of GEMs entrants are middle class. There aren't many working class people with mortgages and kids and loans (there are some) who could afford to take 4 years out of their lives to do an entire 2nd degree. Also don't exaggerate the difficulty of the GAMSAT.
    When I have long hours, with frequent off-site visits in the middle of the day and I require my car for day-to-day college activities, then its my prerogative (as it is for everyone fee paying and not who pay their contribution to facilities) to bring that car with me and expect due courtesy from the university where normal facilities are disrupted.

Ever hear of carpool?

• Advertisement

EDIT: Classic interwebs mistake of assuming the poster was a guy below, so please just read hes as shes ect ect. I am law.

Eh tbh man, as someone getting the same undergrad as everyone else. I'd say he's paying 14,000 of course he's ****ing entitled to more. In fact if I was him I'd get very riled up with undergrads (like me) who park in UCD and spend the whole day kinda loitering around talking to people and stuff. Even still I think you have misinterpreted the tone of his posts.

I think he's been trying to say that he wasn't comparing himself with other students in his posts at all, he was just saying if he is paying that much surely the college should supply. Not saying they should supply to him at other people's expense. Just saying they should supply parking. I think it can be interpreted as, him saying everyone deserves more parking.

So maybe you should just chill a little bit with the attack on the masters student.

As some of you know from various posts I was heavily involved in Lacey's C&C campaign last year. Manifesto writing was the better part of a year ago but I know we looked at parking, we looked at barriers. 3 separate surveys put the number of people parking and riding in UCD at less then 5% of the total people parking in UCD. If anyone wants evidence to back this up, just look across at the montrose, the rise, the carpark by the vehicle entrance to the radisson. All of those are actually closer to N11 bus stops, and they're never full. (I know this, because I park and ride there to work in town).

Barriers apparently for some stupid legal reason need to be centrally monitored. Which would be expensive. We also toyed with the idea of replacing the "mid campus" gates with card barriers but decided against including it because of that cost.

I am being dead honest with you guys, we wanted to win the election, there is nothing more populist then talking about car parks. We didn't include, because there is no real solution that we could find to the parking problem in UCD. Other then people using public transport, cycling or carpooling. For that Lacey is working towards the Bike Scheme, improving showering facilities and bike shelters (or atleast I hope he is, I haven't talked to him a whole lot since debating against him on fees).

Eh tbh man, as someone getting the same undergrad as everyone else. I'd say he's paying 14,000 of course he's ****ing entitled to more.

This is just inherently wrong. The reason that person is paying such high fees is a matter for a different discussion but it doesn't entitle you to more. It's like saying someone doing a science degree is entitled to better treatment than someone in Arts because an arts degree is less expensive to acquire (when you look at the course fees.
    In fact if I was him I'd get very riled up with undergrads (like me) who park in UCD and spend the whole day kinda loitering around talking to people and stuff. Even still I think you have misinterpreted the tone of his posts.

I don't think you are entitled to make this kinda assumption about undergrads. Just because you make yourself out to be a waster doesn't mean everyone else is.
    So maybe you should just chill a little bit with the attack on the masters student.

Seriously, you don't know what you're talking about. Who said anyone was a masters student. Don't tell me what to chill about.
    As some of you know from various posts I was heavily involved in Lacey's C&C campaign last year. Manifesto writing was the better part of a year ago

I am actually shocked and appalled by this. You write manifestos? I hope you spend more time writing them than your boards posts. Secondly, if I felt you views were in anyway supported by any election candidate I would give that candidate a wide birth.
    the carpark by the vehicle entrance to the radisson. All of those are actually closer to N11 bus stops, and they're never full. (I know this, because I park and ride there to work in town).

Why doesn't the OP just park there so?
    We didn't include, because there is no real solution that we could find to the parking problem in UCD.

Well we'll rest assured that a couple of arts undergrads weren't able to find a solution to the problem there probably isn't one.

In fact, your whole attitude is an argument for the introduction of fees properly in this country again. Students think they're not paying fees therefore they're not entitled to better treatment. Fees are being paid, in addition to those registration fees. maybe if people had the 5/6k come out of their own pocket they'd be less apathetic about the basically slum conditions that exists in 3rd level/

Wahey now you're attacking me. Stop being so aggressive. There is no need, I put my opinion on here because unlike the majority of boards posters I've actually tried at an SU level to fix the parking problem. I have failed. I am telling you way.
    Well we'll rest assured that a couple of arts undergrads weren't able to find a solution to the problem there probably isn't one

Right so firstly, nothing wrong with arts students. Secondly I've said twice in this thread already I don't do arts. Thirdly Lacey doesn't do arts. Fourthly the manifesto writing team included people far more intelligent then me and far more experienced with this issue then most people on boards.
    Seriously, you don't know what you're talking about. Who said anyone was a masters student. Don't tell me what to chill about.

OP is a masters students, hence why she pays expensive fees. Also why she probably needs spaces more then I do.

Just because you make yourself out to be a waster doesn't mean everyone else is.

You are correct, not everyone is a waster, I would still say its very frustrating that some people are. I'd argue the percentage of wasters is higher then the percentage of park and riders.
    I am actually shocked and appalled by this. You write manifestos?

Right so this is just a personal attack on me, which is fine, but I don't recognise your name so I figure you haven't read that many of my posts. I think I am more then capable of being involved in the writing process. As it happened I didn't contribute a whole lot, mostly just there to bounce ideas. I you're useful for that when you're a world championship level debater though.

Anyway you didn't actually talk about any of the things I said. Possibly because you accept them as true, or possibly because you're just here to troll. So I reported your post. Mods can feel free to do what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

I've been following this thread, and to be honest, I'm a bit shocked at how aggressive some posters are, not to name names.

Meowever - the OP did say they did an entrance exam to get into their course, and are paying ~€14K - so I'm guessing they're doing GEM, not a Masters, as errlloyd suggests.

I know it's pedantic and whatnot to correct them.. but I'm just putting it out there before a troll decides to give out about people assuming and give their opinion in not so pleasant a way. :)

OP is a masters students, hence why she pays expensive fees. Also why she probably needs spaces more then I do.

wrong and wrong
    anyway you didn't actually talk about any of the things I said. Possibly because you accept them as true, or possibly because you're just here to troll. So I reported your post. Mods can feel free to do what they like.

i did, i told you your rationale for entitlement based on fees is retarded. For your logic american studnets are entitled to free everything because they're paying 30,000.

Just accept you're wrong, I'm not replying to this thread any more.

Advertisement